Wikileaks: Mar Dinkha promotong Sarkis Aghajan and his alliance with the KRG

the_dave

Yet another Assyrian patriarch being involved in non-clerical questions. This time Mar Dinkha, head of the assyrian church of the east. Where he is giving American officials unfair information such as "Sarkis Aghajan is clearly the one who can handle the Assyrian question best in Iraq" and "zoowa does not represent what the Assyrians want and neither do the Assyrian American associations". He clearly disregards both zowaa and Assyrian associations overseas while promoting Sarkis Aghajan.

Read the full article....

On hujada.com (swedish) http://www.hujada.com/article.php?ar=1990

And the original one
http://www.hujada.com/attachment.php?module=news&id=40

Like ASHUR said, nothing that we weren't aware of or was very secretive. But to be fair, I am sure Mar Dinkha has now changed his stance and is no longer very favorable of Aghajan nor is he opposed to Zowaa.

ASHOOR

Well a lot of us might have knew it, but now you got it "black on white" written down. Thanks for sharring din j?vla svartskalle :D

yep nothing new but some might have missed it. Like 80% of the Assyrians :D especially the older ones who don't have any idea what our church does :p

ASHOOR said:
Like ASHUR said, nothing that we weren't aware of or was very secretive. But to be fair, I am sure Mar Dinkha has now changed his stance and is no longer very favorable of Aghajan nor is he opposed to Zowaa.

ASHOOR

If he changed his stance or not, it doesn?t matter, with these sentences he crashed our nation by degrading the Assyrian people and their organizations, and by making one single man above all other people and parties.

Zawoyo said:
If he changed his stance or not, it doesn´t matter, with these sentences he crashed our nation by degrading the Assyrian people and their organizations, and by making one single man above all other people and parties.

Oh no I agree, the damage was already done. But we have to recall the events that happened around 2006 (Mar Bawi etc) and all the stupid and ridiculous rumors about Zowaa being against the church and siding with Mar Bawi.

ASHOOR

ASHOOR said:

ASHOOR

What makes you say that barshee?  What has he done, or said since then that would make you say that?

ASHUR said:
What makes you say that barshee?  What has he done, or said since then that would make you say that?

well basically all the things he has said since and the meetings he has had with all the Zowaa officials. And in these 5 years since, he has heard and found out the truth about Zowaa and how they had absolutely nothing to do with Mar Bawe going rogue against the church.

I could be wrong, but this is at least based on all the things I know and have observed.

ASHOOR

ASHOOR said:
well basically all the things he has said since and the meetings he has had with all the Zowaa officials. And in these 5 years since, he has heard and found out the truth about Zowaa and how they had absolutely nothing to do with Mar Bawe going rogue against the church.

I could be wrong, but this is at least based on all the things I know and have observed.

ASHOOR

That's what I am asking, what has he SAID?  I have heard or read of nothing positive he has said about Zowaa.  The meetings mean nothing.  If you remember, Mar Dinkha met with Younadam Kanna in Morton Grove, during the ACOE church issue with Mar Bawai, and it was evident from the pictures they took with each other that this was not neither one of them was pleased to be there. 

But if there is something good about ADM since, I would love to read it.

I only know of 3 languages: Assyrian, Farsi, and Kurdish.  He does not speak English well enough to even remotely call it fluent.  I don't believe he speaks Arabic as he has needed translators in the past.  I'm not sure of any other lanuage(s) he may speak.

You forgot to mention in that specific document this (about Aghajan)

"One example of this ambivalence emerged in this meeting, when TL Knight asked how his program for a Christian autonomous region fits within the larger Kurdish agenda for 'disputed territories'. Sarkesi expressed dismay at the headlong rush of the KDP to include disputed territories as part of Kurdistan in the revised regional Constitution."

For as long as I could remember, Zowaa supporters always charged Aghajan with wanting to annex the region to the KRG, without any proof. He has never publically or privately endorsed that notion.

You forgot to mention that in the first paragraph of that same document Sarkis said:

"To assure these benefits become permanent, Sarkesi -- tacitly supported by the Patriarch -- strongly advocates the establishment of an autonomous Assyrian homeland carved out of the Ninewa Plain under the protection of the KRG. Sarkesi, like other KRG leaders who advocate incorporation of all historically Kurdish areas into the KRG, is unconcerned about social or political disruption upon establishment of such an area."

Regarding Chaldean's (mis)statement: the argument was always that the policies pursued by Sarkis Aghajan would by default make the NP part of the KRG, despite his semi-public discussions about it. (although as we can see in this document, he did in fact advocate its incorporation to the KRG, but this isn't surprising to people intimately involved with the offline life of this issue). Another thing to remember is, he rarely spoke publicly, and it had others around him discuss the NP incorporation into the KRG instead. Because the Article 125 policy allowed for choice, it would be politically unwise for him to present an alternative policy that didn't.

The hurdles behind the "autonomy plan" (and the reasons it was, in fact, created to distract from the administrative unit plan) was laid out here. Also, it was Sarkis Aghajan's political party blocking a non-pershmerga, local police force to be created in the Nineveh Plains, and Sarkis Aghajan's political party which then moved them out of the NP and into the very dangerous city of Mosul once they were up and running (When the KDP and Khisro Goran were in charge of the Mosul Provincial Council); it was Sarkis Aghajan's political party who annexed the NP into their draft constitution by law, foregoing any pretense of a "vote" (Article 2 I believe); and it was Sarkis Aghajan's political party which removed all minority quotas from the KRG Parliament last month as part of a new elections law.

Here are some other things Aghajan said in these cables:

When people were claiming Zowaa lied about "Kurds stealing our land":

"(C) Sarkis accused Kurds, especially those associated with the KDP which controls the Assyrian centers in Dohuk, of continuing to take over Assyrian land. During the three years since 2003, he said, Assyrians are returning to their ancestral villages and want their village lands. Sarkis said Kurds receive priority in law and challenges in court are not resolved in favor of non-Kurds. Sarkis pointed out that in order to regain and retain Assyrian land, the village populations must be strong and stable. "

When Zowaa claimed land appropriation by Kurds they were accused of lying, and when Zowaa wanted to bring Assyrians back into their ancestral lands in the NP to make "the populations strong and stable", and resisted the idea that Assyrians should leave the country, they're accused of political pandering and "wanting Assyrians to stay for their votes". That such automatic trust was given to a Kurdish political appointee over people who had votes cast for them is telling.

About Nechirvan Barzani (not to mention his general mental health):

"Sarkis has remarked in meetings with RRT Offs (Regional Reconstruction Team Officers) that he receives his direction from the Holy Spirit, and has said that Nechirvan Barzani has been sent by Jesus Christ to save Iraq,s Christians."

From the Mayor of Hamdaniya:

"(C) We asked (Mayor) Karumi where he stood on the issue of remaining in Ninewa Province or joining the KRG. He responded that if every other group in Iraq is demanding autonomy, he might as well do the same. As a lawyer, he said, he knows that this is not possible, but hopes that by demanding it for himself he could show other groups what a bad idea it really is." Funny, when Zowaa said this and we said this here, they were called "jealous" and were accused of trying to spoil a "better policy" because it "wasn't theirs".

A little about the mayor, who isn't necessarily anti-annexation or autonomy by any ideology:

"Mayor Nissan Karumi professes no allegiance to any political party, and contempt for all of them. He argued that all Hamdaniya,s communities are capable of coexistence, and voiced no objection to Kurdish-dominated sub-districts of Hamdaniya joining the Kurdish region."

Wow, my first time looking at AVN in, what, 2 years? 18 months? And it's barely changed.

Back