The Haiti Earthquake and the Great Outpouring of Support

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
Following the horrible earthquake in Haiti, you can't help but wonder and be amazed at the amazing outpouring of support coming from people. We have had so many natural disasters before, but I have never seen one with so many people being effected and moved by it. And as a result, are making very generous donations. It is really great to see.

But you wonder, why such a great outpouring of support?

1-Regional thing: Being here in the Americas, it is so close to us, so we moved by it more?So for example, Australians may not donate as much as they did for the Tsunami?

2-Is it because of how easy these relief organizations have made it to make a donation? anyone with a cellphone (which is virtually everyone) can send a donation with a simple text message.

3-Is it thanks social media and all other online netowrks (Youtube, Twitter, Facebook) and their ability to relay the message faster and to more people than ever before?

4-Or maybe because Haiti just happens to be so poor (poorest nation in the Western hemisphere) and just can't do it without as much help as they can get?

We don't know how many people have died or will have died when this thing is said and done. I really hope it is much less than all the crazy numbers they have given out in the media. On the same day that the quake hit, a Haiti government official was quoted as saying that 'the death toll could be 500,000'. You read that and you go wow! I thought that number was a bit inflated, and I pray to God that it is. But I also thought it was very smart! Even relief organizations have been floating that or similar figures, because they know the bigger the number the more people will feel bad and make a donation. It is a sad and unfortunate tactic but it works.

ASHOOR

It is so incredibly sad & devastating seeing & hearing what?s happening over in Haiti. These are very poor & vulnerable group of people suffering through this terrible misfortune & it?s just going to continue getting worse for them. If major help doesn?t reach them within a few more days, those that are reported to still be missing will undoubtedly lose their lives. They live in a very treacherous environment & hoping for major help to get to them quickly is easier said than done.

I don?t know how useful donations made by other nations will be in the long run considering the problems that are occurring at the moment are for the most part, systemic & the result of very poor foundation. If the Haitian nation is going to come out of this stronger, they?re gonna have do some major reconstructioning from the bottom up, instead of just having their homes repaired. And again, this is near impossible when you?re priorities are simply to survive & secure food for your loved ones on a day-day basis. Whatever happens,  I sincerely hope the help they?re getting now stays with them long enough to make some positive changes & overall strong improvements.

Back