question to native english speakers

thomas

shlama native speakers,

I have a serious problem here...which one of these two definitions is right? Quick or quickly?

Help would be much appreciated

(...) Management is to restore service operation as quick as possible

OR

(...) Management is to restore service operation as quickly as possible

the second one should be the right one:
'Management is to restore service operation as quickly as possible'

Why? because you have a verb 'restore' and that makes it necessary to add 'ly'

'Quickly' is an adverb while 'quick' is an adjective.

ASHOOR

If you are wondering when would it be right to just use 'quick' in this context?

If you could reword it to something like this: "Management is to restore service operation in a quick manner'

ASHOOR

hi ashoor,

thank you very much for your answer. actually, I been arguing with my collegue over this for days. I told her it's 'quickly' not quick, since there is the adverb (just like you told me), but she's like 'nooo that doesn't sound right". germans I tell ya ;)

as for your suggestion. what you see here is an extract of the Incident Management defintion. That's why the 'time aspect' is underlinded with 'quickly' over anything (i.e. quality) else. But thanks for you suggestion though.

Well then, now I can bragg that a native speaker told me!  :cool2:

kind regards,
T.

Just to add to that: Ashoor is right in that "quickly" is "more" correct in that sentence, but you will often hear native English speakers say "quick" as well (especially in colloquial speech). The adverbial ending "-ly" is slowly falling out of use in English, so much so that nobody will probably use it in a hundred years or so. :)

sorry guys, I'm afraid i have toa sk you again

"The emphasis of Incident Management is to provide a workaround or a final solution as quickly as possible."

provide is the verb and "quickly" is the adverb, right? Does the adverb have to be placed before the full verb?

thnx
T.

Quickly sounds more proper. But for me, i think i'd end up using both when speaking lol..and Im a native English speaker lol

Back