Names of the worlds countries in Aramaic?

7ayruta

So I've been thinking for a while that we actually lack common knowledge in our very own language (or.. I atleast do). We use many foreign words for colors, animals, body-parts etc.

I wanted people to help me Build up a list of the names of the worlds countries because we mostly use Arabic names for countries. I have no clue for countries other than: Ator/Ashur, Yawaan (Greece), Surya (this is actually our own name lol) ... I hope you will make the list longer!

I might create a world map with Aramaic names for countries when we have enough :)

I question of mine would be: Do you think it is okay to translate the meanings of countries to Aramaic or should we simply just transcribe the names of countries such as "The Vatican?"

lookin' forward to this!  :)

Egypt = ܡܶܨܪܝܢ

Israel = Isroyel

Jordan = Yurdnon / ܝܽܘܪܕܢܳܢ

China = ܨܺܝܢ

I think for most of the countries, we just should write them in aramaic and keep the name but for example countries like south africa, united states should be translated.

But I'm surprised that a map in aramaic don't exist already  :blink: What a shame!!!

AlexSuryoyo said:
Egypt = ܡܶܨܪܝܢ

Israel = Isroyel

China = ܨܺܝܢ

I think for most of the countries, we just should write them in aramaic and keep the name but for example countries like south africa, united states should be translated.

But I'm surprised that a map in aramaic don't exist already  :blink: What a shame!!!
Russia ܪܘܣ roos
Mexico ܡܟ݂ܝܟܐ mekheeka
Spain ܫܦ݁ܢ shafan
Germany ܐܫܟ݂ܢܙ ashkhenaz (Hebrew word for Germany)
Italy ܐܝܛܠܝܐ eeTalya
India ܗܢܕ hind
Greece ܝܘܢ yawan
Ethiopia ܟܢܥܢ kana'an
Libya ܠܘܒܐ loowe/loove
Persia ܦܪܣ fars
Cyprus ܩܘܦܪܘܣ qupros
Arabia ܒܝܬ ܥܪܒ beth 'arab
Macedonia ܡܩܕܘܢ maqethhwan
Bosnia and Herzegovina ܒܝܬ ܒܘܣܢܐ beth bosna
Afghanistan ܒܝܬ ܐܦ݁ܓ݂ܢ beth afghan
Australia ܒܝܬ ܬܝܡܢܐ beth temna
France ܢܘܚܪܝܢ nokhreen
Japan ܢܦ݁ܢ nafan
Philippines ܒܝܬ ܦ݁ܝܠܝܦܘܣ beth peeleepos
UK ܡܠܟܘܬܐ ܕܚܘܝܕܐ malkoota d-khooyada
and Sweden ܣܘܝܕ swed

AlexSuryoyo said:
Egypt = ܡܶܨܪܝܢ

Israel = Isroyel

China = ܨܺܝܢ

Why only names such as "South Africa" etc. ? Every land as a meaning even though it's not in English lol :) Take Israel (or Yisrael)... It litterally means "He is Saved by God." Now should we translate such a name into Aramaic or just transcribe it?

Also, you West-Assyrian speakers say "o/?" instead of the "aa" so it would be best if you could write it in both the original "aa" and in the West-Assyrian "o/?" :D

mrzurnaci said:
Russia ܪܘܣ roos
Mexico ܡܟ݂ܝܟܐ mekheeka
Spain ܫܦ݁ܢ shafan
Italy ܐܝܛܠܝܐ eeTalya
India ܗܢܕ hind
Greece ܝܘܢ yawan
Ethiopia ܟܢܥܢ kana'an
Libya ܠܘܒܐ loowe/loove
Persia ܦܪܣ fars
Cyprus ܩܘܦܪܘܣ qupros
Arabia ܒܝܬ ܥܪܒ beth 'arab
Bosnia and Herzegovina ܒܝܬ ܒܘܣܢܐ beth bosna
Afghanistan ܒܝܬ ܐܦ݁ܓ݂ܢ beth afghan
France ܢܘܚܪܝܢ nokhreen
Japan ܢܦ݁ܢ nafan
and Sweden ܣܘܝܕ swed

I kinda doubt many of those names. Did you make some of them up by yourself? Because you translated "United Kingdom" into "Kingdom of Unity."
Also why is France "Nokhreen" and not "Beyt Frankaye?" Because the word "France" comes from the kingdom that there once was where the Franks lived (mainly Germany and France). The name "Sweed" is Arabic if I'm not mistaken :)  So what is your source for these names?

7ayruta said:
Why only names such as "South Africa" etc. ? Every land as a meaning even though it's not in English lol :) Take Israel (or Yisrael)... It litterally means "He is Saved by God." Now should we translate such a name into Aramaic or just transcribe it?

Also, you West-Assyrian speakers say "o/?" instead of the "aa" so it would be best if you could write it in both the original "aa" and in the West-Assyrian "o/?" :D

Finally I think that keep all the name and write them in aramaic is better (except for those who already exist originally like egypt, greece,...) because if you create them, all the names will be new and completely different from other languages, it will be more difficult to learn them and everybody will continue to use the names in other languages like fransa, allmagna, hollanda,... What do you think?

About the o/aa, if you don't create new names of countries, I think the problem of the o/aa is not anymore a problem, you just write them in aramaic  (we don't say allmagno, franso, hollando lool).

THIS is a great topic!!!!  :clap:  :blush2:
unfortunately i dont know any of these cause we usually use the arabic words!  (seen, roosya...)

mrzurnaci said:
Russia ܪܘܣ roos
Mexico ܡܟ݂ܝܟܐ mekheeka
Spain ܫܦ݁ܢ shafan
India ܗܢܕ hindGreece ܝܘܢ yawan
Ethiopia ܟܢܥܢ kana'an
Libya ܠܘܒܐ loowe/loove
Persia ܦܪܣ fars
France ܢܘܚܪܝܢ nokhreen
Japan ܢܦ݁ܢ nafan
omg this is AMAZING! .....had no idea these places had names!    (am gonna start saying i live in ashkenaz ;) )

only....india (hind) r u sure its hind!...... we call it hindestan!!  :confused: 

7ayruta said:
I kinda doubt many of those names. Did you make some of them up by yourself? Because you translated "United Kingdom" into "Kingdom of Unity."
Also why is France "Nokhreen" and not "Beyt Frankaye?" Because the word "France" comes from the kingdom that there once was where the Franks lived (mainly Germany and France). The name "Sweed" is Arabic if I'm not mistaken :)  So what is your source for these names?

France according to etymology means foreigner
but yea bet frankaye, I should translating not UK but Great Britain I guess to give a beter translation

ܒܝܬ ܦ݁ܪܢܟܝ̈ܐ for france and for britain would be ܒܝܬ ܦܪܬܢܐ bet pritana

shekwanta said:
omg this is AMAZING! .....had no idea these places had names!    (am gonna start saying i live in ashkenaz ;) )

only....india (hind) r u sure its hind!...... we call it hindestan!!  :confused:   

bet hind, -stan is Iranic for "land of", and the -ia at the end is Latin/Greek I think for land

mrzurnaci said:
bet hind, -stan is Iranic for "land of", and the -ia at the end is Latin/Greek I think for land
OH!  :blink:  well, i dont know!    but i dont speak the language of urmia (oormejnaye)
and yes..we use hindestan to say 'for example'....  a person came from i dont know where    (like a curse word!  almost!)

and i also believe that the word fars is arabic!  :blink:

shekwanta said:
and i also believe that the word fars is arabic!  :blink:

how? we met the Persians before the Arabs

Akkadian Parsu, Akkadian didnt have F or 3yin, or Heth sound consonants, which is strikingly familiar to Eastern Aramaic Dialect in the fact that we don't use F sound, we lost 3ayin's sound, and merged Heth with Kaph Rakikhta

Great thread, great job guys!

Everytime I see one of these threads, I feel so bad and mad for misplacing my 'Bahra" Assyrian - Arabic Dictionary' which I bought from AssyrianMarket.com some 7 years ago. But as of two years ago, it just disapparead and not sure if someone took it from my house and never returned it or what...

ASHOOR

mrzurnaci said:

Akkadian Parsu, Akkadian didnt have F or 3yin, or Heth sound consonants, which is strikingly familiar to Eastern Aramaic Dialect in the fact that we don't use F sound, we lost 3ayin's sound, and merged Heth with Kaph Rakikhta

Uhm... what are you talking about? Eastern-Aramaic covers all dialects from about Syria to West-Iran to Kuwait. Meaning that the Suryoyo and Chaldean are Eastern too. What I guess you're trying to say is that the Eastern Syriac dialect is close to the Akkadian. We even have dialects such as the Mandean under the Eastern Aramaic dialect-group.

Again what is your source for the names of those countries because I believe that many of them are wrong, no offense :)

Well for "America" we say emreeka (ܐܡܪܝܟܐ), American emreekan (ܐܡܪܝܟܢ) or emreekaya (ܐܡܪܝܟܝܐ). That's how my family says them. I don't know if there is any Arabic influence there, I think they just adopted the words from English. Some of the other country names they don't alter at all.

Most of my family members do not speak Arabic (we only understand Sureth and English) and any Arabic we used was borrowed long ago.

Some other ones:
Iraq - eeraq (ܥܐܪܩ)
Iran - eeran (ܥܐܪܢ) [sp?]
Canada - kanada (ܩܢܕܐ) [sp?]
Spaniard? Spanish speaking person - espanaya (ܐܣܦܢܝܐ) [I think this one is how I heard it, I don't know if it's relevant here though]
Britain breeTanya (ܒܪܝܛܢܝܐ) [Arb.]

The ones I've listed are how I have heard them said by family or members of the community.

7ayruta, do you want names that are common, used, and transliterated with Sureth influence or do you want to translate each countries name (based off the actually meaning) literally into Sureth?

I believe the former is better because that's how every other countries does it (at least the major ones). These are proper nouns not general nouns. If all proper nouns were translated, that would be like calling someone "Emmanuel" in Sureth then when speaking English calling that same person "God is with us" and no one does that, it would be odd to do that. Although I think there can be exceptions if they make more sense (like if every country had a different name for one of the countries).

So I believe transliterating country names is the best way to go, not translating.

I do agree with properly translating things like "-stan" with Sureth equivalents but countries without things like that I think should just be transliterated unless their is a good reason to translate. Otherwise, it can be confusing if the meanings are too general.

7ayruta, do you want names that are common, used, and transliterated with Sureth influence or do you want to translate each countries name (based off the actually meaning) literally into Sureth?

I believe the former is better because that's how every other countries does it (at least the major ones). These are proper nouns not general nouns. If all proper nouns were translated, that would be like calling someone "Emmanuel" in Sureth then when speaking English calling that same person "God is with us" and no one does that, it would be odd to do that. Although I think there can be exceptions if they make more sense (like if every country had a different name for one of the countries).

So I believe transliterating country names is the best way to go, not translating.

I do agree with properly translating things like "-stan" with Sureth equivalents but countries without things like that I think should just be transliterated unless their is a good reason to translate. Otherwise, it can be confusing if the meanings are too general.

I want the most correct names. That means that I want the names of countries that have already been named in early times and that would probably mean the ME.
Yes You're right. Not everything should be translated because it would get all messed up and weird + nobody does that. However, I believe that it should be a mix  translation and translitteration :) What do you think we should translate "United States of America" into? mxaydhe 'uxdane d-Amreeka?

So to sum it up: I want the already given Aramaic names of countries and for countries that were not known to our people back then, we transcribe AND translate names  :)

For Europe they say oruppa (ܐܘܪܘܦܐ). I know that's a continent and not a country and I don't know it's source.

7ayruta said:
I want the most correct names. That means that I want the names of countries that have already been named in early times and that would probably mean the ME.
Yes You're right. Not everything should be translated because it would get all messed up and weird + nobody does that. However, I believe that it should be a mix  translation and translitteration :) What do you think we should translate "United States of America" into? mxaydhe 'uxdane d-Amreeka?

So to sum it up: I want the already given Aramaic names of countries and for countries that were not known to our people back then, we transcribe AND translate names  :)
Well, to transcribe and translate new countries, we need to follow how Classical Syriac handled names of older countries (or create a new system) and decide on what other rules to follow.

For instance, if following the transliteration rules "America" should be amereqa (or something like that) and Canada should be qanada because the "k" sound is translitered as qop. Also I don't know if there is a "vowel-structure" to follow also.

I remember reading a discussion at the Aramaic Wiki on this exact subject. Most people say emreeka and kanada so they were trying to decide if they should spell the names phonetically or follow the Classical way of borrowing and transliterating "k" to qop, "t" to Teth, etc. I think they decided to spell according to Classical rules although maybe they still pronounce them with the original sounds.

For United States of America they have athrawatha mxaydhe d'emreeqa (ܐܬܪܘܬܐ ܡܚܝܕܐ ܕܐܡܪܝܩܐ):
http://arc.wikipedia.org/wiki/ܐܬܪܘܬܐ_ܡܚܝܕܐ_ܕܐܡܪܝܩܐ

Is ܡܚܝܕܐ a varation of makhdhadhe (ܡܚܕܕܐ) meaning "together?" And is it mxaydhe (like you wrote it) or maxyadhe?

7ayruta said:
Yes You're right. Not everything should be translated because it would get all messed up and weird + nobody does that. However, I believe that it should be a mix  translation and translitteration :) What do you think we should translate "United States of America" into? mxaydhe 'uxdane d-Amreeka?

So to sum it up: I want the already given Aramaic names of countries and for countries that were not known to our people back then, we transcribe AND translate names  :)

I think it's a very good compromise  :)

For United States of America like david and wikipedia, I would say athrawatha/athrawotho mhaydhe d'emreeqa - ܐܬܪܘܬܐ ܡܚܝܕܐ ܕܐܡܪܝܩܐ.

For europe, I don't know if it's in aramaic but in west syriac, we also say urifi - ܐܘܪܝܦܝ

mrzurnaci said:

Like my Grandmother she doesnt say franca she says pransa. A true akkadian dialect.  :giggle:

Well, to transcribe and translate new countries, we need to follow how Classical Syriac handled names of older countries (or create a new system) and decide on what other rules to follow.

We should follow the rules of the classical language, imo. My idea of this is to create something all dialects could enjoy and not only one tribe/dialect.

However we have a problem with spirantizaion because how do we transcribe countries such as Vietnam? Spirantized letters don't use to be at the beginning of a word and letters are also not spirantized when they are doubled (you know as in "love" (xuba) where the B is doubled and therefore is not "xuva"). Should then just do it anyways and spirantize the B so it becomes a V?
Another thing is ... how would we pronounce Vietnam? I'm excited to see your opinion :)

Is ܡܚܝܕܐ a varation of makhdhadhe (ܡܚܕܕܐ) meaning "together?" And is it mxaydhe (like you wrote it) or maxyadhe?

It is mxaydhe as I wrote it. Well, I don't think that it's a variation of it because both of the words are from the root X-D (one). I could be wrong though  :)

AlexSuryoyo said:
I think it's a very good compromise  :)

For United States of America like david and wikipedia, I would say athrawatha/athrawotho mhaydhe d'emreeqa - ܐܬܪܘܬܐ ܡܚܝܕܐ ܕܐܡܪܝܩܐ.

For europe, I don't know if it's in aramaic but in west syriac, we also say urifi - ܐܘܪܝܦܝ

Yea it's pretty fair :)

Well, I think that 2oropa/2eropa (europe) is the closest we get to the original :)

Here are the World's countries. Give a shot and translate what you can :) In the end I will sum it all up... I have a feeling that this will be a long thread and lots of work if people are willing to take it serious :)

Afghanistan
Akrotiri
Albania
Algeria
American Samoa
Andorra
Angola
Anguilla
Antarctica
Antigua and Barbuda
Argentina
Armenia
Aruba
Ashmore and Cartier Islands
Assyria
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Bahamas, The
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Bassas da India
Belarus
Belgium
Belize
Benin
Bermuda
Bhutan
Bolivia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Botswana
Bouvet Island
Brazil
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands
Brunei
Bulgaria
Burkina Faso
Burma
Burundi
Cambodia
Cameroon
Canada
Cape Verde
Cayman Islands
Central African Republic
Chad
Chechnya
Chile
China
Christmas Island
Clipperton Island
Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Colombia
Comoros
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
Congo, Republic of the
Cook Islands
Coral Sea Islands
Costa Rica
Cote d'Ivoire
Croatia
Cuba
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Dhekelia
Djibouti
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Egypt
El Salvador
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Estonia
Ethiopia
Europa Island
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)
Faroe Islands
Fiji
Finland
France
French Guiana
French Polynesia
French Southern and Antarctic Lands
Gabon
Gambia
Georgia
Germany
Ghana
Gibraltar
Glorioso Islands
Greece
Greenland
Grenada
Guadeloupe
Guam
Guatemala
Guernsey
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Guyana
Haiti
Heard Island and McDonald Islands
Holy See (Vatican City)
Honduras
Hong Kong
Hungary
Iceland
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Ireland
Isle of Man
Israel
Italy
Jamaica
Jan Mayen
Japan
Jersey
Jordan
Juan de Nova Island
Kazakhstan
Kenya
Kiribati
Korea, North
Korea, South
Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan
Laos
Latvia
Lebanon
Lesotho
Liberia
Libya
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macau
Macedonia
Madagascar
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Mali
Malta
Marshall Islands
Martinique
Mauritania
Mauritius
Mayotte
Mexico
Micronesia, Federated States of
Moldova
Monaco
Mongolia
Montserrat
Morocco
Mozambique
Namibia
Nauru
Navassa Island
Nepal
Netherlands
Netherlands Antilles
New Caledonia
New Zealand
Nicaragua
Niger
Nigeria
Niue
Norfolk Island
Northern Mariana Islands
Norway
Oman
Pakistan
Palau
Palestine
Panama
Papua New Guinea
Paracel Islands
Paraguay
Peru
Philippines
Pitcairn Islands
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Qatar
Reunion
Romania
Russia
Rwanda
Saint Helena
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Pierre and Miquelon
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Samoa
San Marino
Sao Tome and Principe
Saudi Arabia
Senegal
Serbia and Montenegro
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Africa
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Spain
Spratly Islands
Sri Lanka
Sudan
Suriname
Svalbard
Swaziland
Sweden
Switzerland
Syria
Taiwan
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Thailand
Timor-Leste
Togo
Tokelau
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Tromelin Island
Tunisia
Turkey
Turkmenistan
Turks and Caicos Islands
Tuvalu
Uganda
Ukraine
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom
United States
Uruguay
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu
Venezuela
Vietnam
Virgin Islands
Wake Island
Wallis and Futuna
Western Sahara
Yemen
Zambia
Zimbabwe

ashuraya007 said:
Like my Grandmother she doesnt say franca she says pransa. A true akkadian dialect.  :giggle:
just like my mom!  :blink:  she also says 'pransa' is the right word for france!  :blink:

shekwanta said:
just like my mom!  :blink:  she also says 'pransa' is the right word for france!  :blink:

Originally, from what I have learned at the church, all the ܦ in the proper names were pronounced p and not f like nowadays: pawlos and not fawlos, petrus and not fetrus, ... so maybe it's why your grandmothers/mothers still say it that way. But I have to say it, I like this p pronounciation, so bad we dont pronounce the p anymore :p

7ayruta said:
We should follow the rules of the classical language, imo. My idea of this is to create something all dialects could enjoy and not only one tribe/dialect.

However we have a problem with spirantizaion because how do we transcribe countries such as Vietnam? Spirantized letters don't use to be at the beginning of a word and letters are also not spirantized when they are doubled (you know as in "love" (xuba) where the B is doubled and therefore is not "xuva"). Should then just do it anyways and spirantize the B so it becomes a V?
Another thing is ... how would we pronounce Vietnam? I'm excited to see your opinion :)

I wouldn't worry about spirantization. It isn't used by most modern dialects, if any. In my dialect if you were to try and pronounce some of the words in a "classical" way you would be saying a different word. I know this is because of borrowing and outside influence but I actually prefer it to spirantization because it enriches the language.

I don't know how Classical Syriac treated all country names, you would have to find an example of a country name that was translated and you would expect spirantization in it. Now that I think of it, that's probably why (or one of the reasons) they translated "k" to qop, "t" to Teth, "g" to yodh, etc. It gets rid of the problem of worrying about spirantization by changing letters to one's without spirantization.

I think the best thing to do is find a example of another country that starts with "v" (and ones for "dh" and "f") and has a classical translation already. If there isn't one, then the other thing most do is place a tilde or a dot beneath foreign words.

7ayruta said:
It is mxaydhe as I wrote it. Well, I don't think that it's a variation of it because both of the words are from the root X-D (one). I could be wrong though  :)

Okay, thank you. I tried looking it up (in that construction) and didn't find anything. I haven't heard it said like that. Although, for the the verb (using "he will unite") I think may dialect says zee Hayid (not xayid like other dialects) yet we say xa for "one."

What construction is mxayde in? It looks like the modern perfect tense/classical passive participle (like kheela, peesha, mshudra) except there is no "u" like other verbs in that construction.

AlexSuryoyo said:
Originally, from what I have learned at the church, all the ܦ in the proper names were pronounced p and not f like nowadays: pawlos and not fawlos, petrus and not fetrus, ... so maybe it's why your grandmothers/mothers still say it that way. But I have to say it, I like this p pronounciation, so bad we dont pronounce the p anymore :p
i dont get it!  :blink:       :mrgreen:

i didnt even know that these names had an F sound (originally) and not the P sound!

lol..no worries! u can always call it Pransa!..or Nokhreen! ;)    

I wouldn't worry about spirantization. It isn't used by most modern dialects, if any. In my dialect if you were to try and pronounce some of the words in a "classical" way you would be saying a different word. I know this is because of borrowing and outside influence but I actually prefer it to spirantization because it enriches the language.

Well, if we're going to stick to the classical spellings then spirantization is a must.

I think the best thing to do is find a example of another country that starts with "v" (and ones for "dh" and "f") and has a classical translation already.

I don't think there is such thing. If there was we would've noticed it long ago like the changing of Qof, 6eth and Gammal. However, I did come up with a solution. The Hebrew language/alphabet has the exact same problem as we do. So i looked at their spelling of "Vietnam" and this is how they spell it: וייטנאם
If you are to spell that pronounciation in Syriac then it would be: ܘܝܝܛܢܡ ... Do you think that would be a solution?

Okay, thank you. I tried looking it up (in that construction) and didn't find anything. I haven't heard it said like that. Although, for the the verb (using "he will unite") I think may dialect says zee Hayid (not xayid like other dialects) yet we say xa for "one."

What construction is mxayde in? It looks like the modern perfect tense/classical passive participle (like kheela, peesha, mshudra) except there is no "u" like other verbs in that construction.

I must admit that I looked the meaning up in this lousy dictionary "Lishani" .... http://lishani.com/syriac.php?q=%DC%A1%DC%9A%DC%B2%DC%9D%DC%95%DC%BC%DC%B5%DC%90

Back