Kurds Threaten to Split Iraq Over Kirkuk Crisis

Rumtaya

A possible solution to the dispute over the status of the disputed city Kirkuk has raised the ire of Kurdish leader Mas'ud Barzani, who threatened to divide Iraq if the constitution were not honored. Barzani, president of the semi-autonomous Kurdish province in northern Iraq, reminded the Iraqi legislatures that clause 140 in the Iraqi Constitution of 2005, called for a referendum on Kirkuk. "If clause 140 dies, then so will the Constitution, and you will have to take responsibility for the division of Iraq," Barzani said Wednesday, according to the London-based daily Al-Quds Al-'Arabi.

Barzani, who spoke at a meeting with Kurdish leaders, expressed his hope that the problem would be solved peacefully and legally.

The Iraqi parliament on Tuesday failed to approve a draft law concerning the provincial election law after Kurdish lawmakers disagreed on a clause regarding Kirkuk. The clause proposes a power-sharing proposal, according to which the oil-rich city's council would comprise 10 Kurdish members, 10 Arabs, 10 Turkmens and two Christians.

In an attempt to resolve the dispute, Arab and Turkmen legislators, who represent two minorities in the Kurdish province, suggested on Wednesday to divide Kirkuk into four constituencies.

The Kurdistan Regional Government rejected the proposal and demanded that the whole of Kirkuk be regarded as one constituency. The Kurds maintain Kirkuk has a predominantly Kurdish population. According to the 2005 Iraqi Constitution, a referendum was supposed to take place in Kirkuk sometime during 2007. The referendum was to determine whether the city's residents wished to stay under Baghdad's administration or whether they wished to belong to the semi-autonomous province under the control of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG). Security and technical problems have so far delayed the referendum. The Kurdish lawmakers have therefore been trying to postpone the provincial council vote in Kirkuk until a referendum -- or at least a special-status agreement -- is held.

The Media Line

http://www.aina.org/news/20080719064749.htm

Are the Kurds trying to show up Arms? This Kirkuk will throw Iraq sooner or later into a civil war and I am yet sure that the nations who border Iraq will want to mix in.

their greed will be the end of them, what they already have does not belong to them. If i was a kurd (god forbid) id be happy with what i have.

Cry more Barzani.

Why the hell are the Kurds using article 140 of the constitution to take over parts of Iraq that don't even belong to them? I don't think Barzani even knows what that article means.

AssyrianKing19 said:
Guys who really cares about Kirkuk (between us Assyrians). We don't want to have it so why should we care? 

The less Kurdish power the better.

Besides, Kirkuk is a multi-cultural city and very rich with oil. This is nothing but Kurdish greed. That and they think its the capital of their so called "Kurdistan".

Damail said:
The less Kurdish power the better.

Besides, Kirkuk is a multi-cultural city and very rich with oil. This is nothing but Kurdish greed. That and they think its the capital of their so called "Kurdistan".
Good point the less power the better but I mean oil is not going to there forever really how much is left? Plus they will get busy with whole Kirkuk crap while we can do something while we don't have to their attention. :sly:

AssyrianKing19 said:
Good point the less power the better but I mean oil is not going to there forever really how much is left? Plus they will get busy with whole Kirkuk crap while we can do something while we don't have to their attention. :sly:

Perhaps.

But Iraq still has tons and tons of oil. They aren't going to run out and time soon.

You know what would be really nice if Iraq did run out of oil think about what would happen with in 24 hours? In fact that is a good idea I think a new thread should be made.

Damail said:
Cry more Barzani.

Why the hell are the Kurds using article 140 of the constitution to take over parts of Iraq that don't even belong to them? I don't think Barzani even knows what that article means.

No part of Iraq actually "belongs" to them, and because of that, they are just taking, like an open bazaar.

I sincerely hope that the rest of the country, through their reps in the Govt, get to answer the Kurds and put them in their right place one day.

The Kurdish issue has been there for decades, either the central government give the Kurds what they want, or the Iraqi army takes control of the North and the Kurds are forced to assimilate.

waleeta said:
Aww.  How cute of them.

I have a dream, Kurds being assimilated in the south, dancing chobi with Najafis and eating Qoozi and adding a "cha" in front of every sentence, it'll happen one day!!!

Salem said:
I have a dream, Kurds being assimilated in the south, dancing chobi with Najafis and eating Qoozi and adding a "cha" in front of every sentence, it'll happen one day!!!

i have a dream for them too but if i say it i'm sure it will result in a ban or suspension.
:mrgreen:

waleeta said:
No part of Iraq actually "belongs" to them, and because of that, they are just taking, like an open bazaar.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you.

Salem said:

Well you may have dream about what will happens with kurds but I am concerned about us,christians and how we are decreasing in Iraq and are getting assimilated by arabs and kurds. Armenians are totally assimilated, all we have now is our christianity not our identity. What more concern me is assyrians are assimilating more than ever not enough with that so are they leaving Iraq more than ever, thats what I am scare of dear Salem.  Kurds are at least 6 million in Iraq, sure many kurds has lost their roots like feyli and shia kurds but the north part of Iraq, kurds are only increasing their population more than ever, many arabs, assyrians,armenians left Bagdad to Kurdistan region and what do you thinks what  will happen with those, they will became kurds like armenians of zahko and ankawa`s christians.

Aga said:
Well you may have dream about what will happens with kurds but I am concerned about us,christians and how we are decreasing in Iraq and are getting assimilated by arabs and kurds. Armenians are totally assimilated, all we have now is our christianity not our identity. What more concern me is assyrians are assimilating more than ever not enough with that so are they leaving Iraq more than ever, thats what I am scare of dear Salem.  Kurds are at least 6 million in Iraq, sure many kurds has lost their roots like feyli and shia kurds but the north part of Iraq, kurds are only increasing their population more than ever, many arabs, assyrians,armenians left Bagdad to Kurdistan region and what do you thinks what  will happen with those, they will became kurds like armenians of zahko and ankawa`s christians.

Aga we have been living in the Nineveh plains (Assyria) for thousands of years, the Greeks,Arabs,Turks,Persians,Romans,French,British and Americans have all passed by and yet we still call ourselves Assyrian,we still read and write in Assyrian what makes you think Kurds will succeed? lol

Assyrianism said:
Aga we have been living in the Nineveh plains (Assyria) for thousands of years, the Greeks,Arabs,Turks,Persians,Romans,French,British and Americans have all passed by and yet we still call ourselves Assyrian,we still read and write in Assyrian what makes you think Kurds will succeed? lol

I said kurds are at least 6 millions which we are not even if you count all christians together, and kurds had more power than we have, our christians population in Iraq is decreasing more than ever and you are aware of that, will you please tell me, how will we be able to success and not kurds?

Aga said:
I said kurds are at least 6 millions which we are not even if you count all christians together, and kurds had more power than we have, our christians population in Iraq is decreasing more than ever and you are aware of that, will you please tell me, how will we be able to success and not kurds?

who's we? lol
you have Armenia go live there.

Aga said:
you can?t you answer my question instead of that you are making fun of me?, yes I will but look at you first, where you are then tell me go to Armenia.

well Aga God willing when the Assyrians in the west grow some brains and they gather support for our only voice in Iraq then maybe we can protect the Assyrians living their and gain more rights in Iraq. Once we have security the refugee's living in Syria,Jordan and Turkey can return to North Iraq (Assyria). The recent progress made by allowing 700 policemen (assyrians) is good news and definitely a step in the right direction there is hope there always is hope. No we will never be as many as the Kurds frankly numbers do not matter look at how Israel started.

Assyrianism said:
who's we? lol
you have Armenia go live there.

Instead of answering my question you are making fun of me?, yes I will but look at you first, where you are then tell me go to Armenia.

Also i just wanted to add if I was a Kurd (God forbid) I wouldn?t bolster about the numbers it just proves the lack of success, corruption, and organization they have. 30 million in the Middle East and they still don?t have a country. Believe me when I tell you this if we had 30 million lol we would make Israel look amateur. Considering the lack of resources we have a lot has been accomplished by the one voice we have in Iraq.

Assyrianism said:
well Aga God willing when the Assyrians in the west grow some brains and they gather support for our only voice in Iraq then maybe we can protect the Assyrians living their and gain more rights in Iraq. Once we have security the refugee's living in Syria,Jordan and Turkey can return to North Iraq (Assyria). The recent progress made by allowing 700 policemen (assyrians) is good news and definitely a step in the right direction there is hope there always is hope. No we will never be as many as the Kurds frankly numbers do not matter look at how Israel started.

well thats what I want, but yet dear assyrianism, who says refugees will return? thats not what believe, as you see many of them had arrived in s?dert?lje ( sweden) already. I know some of these refuges they are trying to get their family here in sweden. And the security will never ever be good for us, we are christians, keep that in mind!, we will never ever have security in middle east, and we will never ever be 700 000 anymore, we was, or assyrians was but not anymore, we have to face the reality but at the same time we have to sacrifice and help these people whom are living in refuges camp in Syria,Jordan,Turkey,

Assyrianism said:
Also i just wanted to add if I was a Kurd (God forbid) I wouldn?t bolster about the numbers it just proves the lack of success, corruption, and organization they have. 30 million in the Middle East and they still don?t have a country. Believe me when I tell you this if we had 30 million lol we would make Israel look amateur. Considering the lack of resources we have a lot has been accomplished by the one voice we have in Iraq.

you right about that, kurds are 30 million but don?t forget 40 million turks,50 million persians, 50 million arabs including some armenians and azerbjans are against 30 million kurds. I am not saying kurds are heroes but in Iraq they have succeeded with their roles in Iraq, yet they have problems but if you compare to assyrians, well assyrians have nothing in Iraq. these was about Damail`s dream that kurds will assimilate in his dream and I said I am concern about christians and we are decreasing in number in Iraq more than ever, isnt that right?

Assyrianism said:

you can?t compare assyrian?s situation with israel, because Israel had US,England and the whole Eu behind them, who will be behind assyrians? no one, believe me,

Back