Zurnas

mrzurnaci

Hey guys do you know any1 who knows the finger scales of an 8-hole Syrian Zurna?

kind of like this - but for a Syrian Zurna, the one in the picture is a Turkish variant.
fingeringzurnaB.jpg

also, does any1 know/have any sheet music for zurna? I'll try it even if it's for the Turkish variant.

last question, was the Zurna really invented by Assyrians?

I'm also thinking about buying another Zurna (with my own $)

Plum ($99) or Hornbeam ($49) ?

Attachments

• Hornbeam-zurna.PNG
    Hornbeam-zurna.PNG
    212.7 KB · Views: 2,663
  • plum-zurna.PNG
    plum-zurna.PNG
    199 KB · Views: 3,427
i have always wanted one, and when i was in Syria last time they said i have to go to turkey to get one, at least the god ones...

i want one that sounds like this: go to 1.30... IBRAHIM TATLISES,Soylim mi ?
i love this sample of zurna never heard better sound...

the_dave said:
i have always wanted one, and when i was in Syria last time they said i have to go to turkey to get one, at least the god ones...

i want one that sounds like this: go to 1.30

to make it sound like that, it depends on the reed, type of Zurna, and your air pressure from blowing into it.
this instrument is hard as ffff to be good at. And funny thing is that I see people in their 20s playing as if they were experts playing for 30 years.

the_dave said:

i want one that sounds like this: go to 1.30...

Here's what my Zurna looks like

It's actually bigger than the usual Syrian Zurna......

it's made of Mulberry wood

Attachments

• lol 001.jpg
    lol 001.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,561
I actually have one that my uncle made me, he is a handicraftsman, but it was more a prototype, it was the first one he ever tried to make. It looks pretty much like yours. But i think the wood is wrong so i don't get the right sound...

id like a real one...

the_dave said:
I actually have one that my uncle made me, he is a handicraftsman, but it was more a prototype, it was the first one he ever tried to make. It looks pretty much like yours. But i think the wood is wrong so i don't get the right sound...

id like a real one...

Dave, this is how a professionally played and well crafted zurna should sound like

elias lawando zurna dawola.mov

thing is, I can never get mine to sound like it, probably because its too big maybe. What do you think I should do?

for those interested and are living in Chicago or Cook County in general, there's an Assyrian community center in Skokie giving Zurna lessons, if anyone has ANY info on that, plz post it here.

im dieing to know where i can learn how to play the zurna! i live in skokie so if there is any place that can teach you please anyone let me know!

James94 said:
im dieing to know where i can learn how to play the zurna! i live in skokie so if there is any place that can teach you please anyone let me know!
my sister's friend's/cousin's brother plays the zurna and he can teach me anytime, we live in Chicago though. What kind of zurna u got?

Neon said:
I like how this zurna is set in the key of B. Are all zurnas naturally in the key of B?
No, The notation chart Zurna is a Turkish zurna, doesn't take the (As)Syrian Zurna into account.

mrzurnaci said:
No, The notation chart Zurna is a Turkish zurna, doesn't take the (As)Syrian Zurna into account.
Can a piano player who is familiar with notes easily play a zurna/duduk?

Neon said:
Can a piano player who is familiar with notes easily play a zurna/duduk?

no because there's no standard form/length/dimension on how a zurna or duduk is supposed to be, thus every created zurna and duduk are unique in sound, to the musician with a trained ear at least.

Western musical instruments are all created similarly with as similar as possible dimensions and constructtion so that they'll achieve the same tune and pitch as each other. From this, there's no such thing as an "on-key" zurna or duduk as they were created off key.

mrzurnaci said:
no because there's no standard form/length/dimension on how a zurna or duduk is supposed to be, thus every created zurna and duduk are unique in sound, to the musician with a trained ear at least.

Western musical instruments are all created similarly with as similar as possible dimensions and constructtion so that they'll achieve the same tune and pitch as each other. From this, there's no such thing as an "on-key" zurna or duduk as they were created off key.
What mode is a zurna in?

The keys of the one in your post like like they're a natural B major/Gb minor scale.

Back