You thought it is hot where you are? Check out these two cities in Iraq!

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
People, as usual, are complaining about how hot it is this week. And it is only a high of 33C or so here in Toronto (about 91F)

Well, if you thought that was hot, check these two cities in Southern Iraq: Basra ( البَصرة‎ ) and Nasiriya ( الناصرية ) , where the temp will hit 50 and 51 C in the coming days!! In fact, the lowest daytime temp will be 48C, something I bet 90% of those reading this have never experienced.

Having personally been born and lived in Baghdad for 12.5 years, I have experienced a few 50 C weather too, but to us, we never made it a big deal because that is all we knew. I had never lived in a place like Canada, where going 25 C or more is considered hot, and 30+ is considered tropical.

I personally love hot weather and while 50 is a bit crazy, I don't mind the 40s. In fact, I chose to go to Vegas only when it is in the middle of July, when it is 40+ . Interestingly, Vegas and Baghdad have the same dry heat weather, so it is not uncomfortable like it is in humid places like in southern Iraq (these two cities I mentioned above)

But you know what really sucks about these two cities, as if this 50 C weather is not enough? they get electricity about 4-6 hours a day!!!

Nasiriya.JPG
Basrah weather.JPG

494E9A2A-0DA1-4F20-8B7B-5CFD364CBEDE.jpeg

this is from Nasiriya again (ناصرية) simply unbelievable ,temp doesn’t go below 50 C for almost a whole week! That is about 125 F

Back