Working on Sundays

Wigger Will

Hey all

I'm sitting here at work and i'm thinking to myself: is it right to work on a sunday from a religious standpoint?
This is the first time ever that I have worked on a sunday and it feels a bit weird...I feel like a sinner because usually i'm at church...by working on sunday it means that you have to sacrifice church...

There are those that belive that working on sunday is sacrilegious and others that belive that it is fine.

what do you guys think?

Hey Will. I have worked every Sunday for four years and to be honest you do miss a lot. I am not an avid church goer, but I did attend a lot of youth functions and bible studies. Since working, I have not been able to attend. I have since quit and I am beginning to get back to what I missed. It's tough. From a religious stand point, I can't help with verses. But it's a different time. I would say, try to get at least one Sunday off so you can worship in God's home. But worshipping him doesn't have to be always at church. If your at an office, reading the bible is a great way to be one with God.

Often, and especially in the modern world, people are forced to work on Sunday. Technically, you must not work on the Sabbath but it is not for me to make judgements but God himself. As long as you acknowledge to God and make a genuine attempt to make up for it, then I am sure God will see it differently, but I am not above God to make decisions for him.

In 2001, I was forced to work and back then I was working as a bookmaker, taking bets on horse racing. Yes, in Australia they have horse racing on Easter as of 2001 and so I had to work. Yes it felt weird and I hated it so much that several months later I quit my job (there were other factors but that was a major one).

Hey Rad and Moja.
I agree with you Rad when you say that by working on sunday you miss out on alot...personally I like to leave sundays free for family time because during the week i'm so busy that i don't get to spend time with them...

In relation to not going church because of work, like you said Moja, you don't have to be in church to worship God...and there are ways around it if you work on sundays for e.g. you could attend a saturday eevning mass, which alot of churches have.

Having said all of that, I still feel like a Jew working today lol

I don't work on Sundays at all, but that's because of the job I am blessed with.

That being said, I do not believe it is a sin to work on Sundays. The Sabbath was to set aside a day of rest to worship God. We are told in the New Testament to worship and pray to God all the time, not just Sundays. Furthermore, we have our eternal rest through the sacrifice of Christ.

Heb 4:1-11 Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. (2) For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. (3) For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, "As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall not enter my rest,'" although his works were finished from the foundation of the world. (4) For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works." (5) And again in this passage he said, "They shall not enter my rest." (6) Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, (7) again he appoints a certain day, "Today," saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts." (8) For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on. (9) So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, (10) for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. (11) Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.

You don't need to be in a church to worship God.

The original Sabbath was on Saturday, so that "feeling like a Jew" comment wasn't far off. If you feel guilty because you're working on the day MAN set aside to worship God, then stop. Please. It's just ridiculous.

Back