Why do some of you choose Religion over Science?

Why do you choose Religion over Science? Do you actually believe the earth is flat, created in seven days and is 6000 years old?

If Christianity is the truth, what about the 6000+ Religions and according to some scientists 500 Million+ different types of intelligent life in the universe.. Are they followers of Christianity in a planet somewhere in the Andromeda galaxy?

What about the evidence for Evolution?, You can look into the bones of early ancestors and compare the two to modern humans including the other apes that led to modern-day humans.

Astronomers a few months ago saw a creation of a planet miles away and saw a cell evolve in a few hours with different characteristics, they have been so many tests.

Also, how could Noah fit all those animals in a big "floating barn"?

Think about it, you can say Christianity is apart of our "culture" but it doesn't change the fact.

In my opinion I don't want to believe, I want to know.

I think religion and science can be mutually exclusive and answers for different types of questions.

Domanic said:
I'm not going to let it go it's freedom of speech, if you don't like my post then don't join in and say "Ar you rally going to start this BS up again?".

The only reason why you are Christian is because of your parents and indoctrination at an early age or that in a way Christianity is a culture but you want to keep the beliefs that come with it.

You can't let it go even though you just did for months now? You must have not been taking your medication again. These type of threads have only lead to flamewars and they won't do anything else as we've had the exact same threads recently, you don't have the intellect or ability to change anyone's mind on this so it's only spreading hate, you just need some sort of inner validation to condone your genetic defect which btw is the only reason you hate christianity so that was an ironic statement from you. I don't have the time to get into another one of these drawn out arguments so I won't, just know how ridiculous and pathetic you look every time you spread your hatred towards christianity on an Assyrian forum of all places.

Joe25 said:
You can't let it go even though you just did for months now? You must have not been taking your medication again. These type of threads have only lead to flamewars and they won't do anything else as we've had the exact same threads recently, you don't have the intellect or ability to change anyone's mind on this so it's only spreading hate, you just need some sort of inner validation to condone your genetic defect which btw is the only reason you hate christianity so that was an ironic statement from you. I don't have the time to get into another one of these drawn out arguments so I won't, just know how ridiculous and pathetic you look every time you spread your hatred towards christianity on an Assyrian forum of all places.

I think you just spread more hate than he did

ins001 said:
Let's see if you actually do as you say

Sounds like you're gonna try to bait me into one. :lol: As far as the hate spreading, I have never made a thread about homo's, atheism etc. because these are absolute non existent issues in the Assyrian communities. It's only online where these voices get a backbone(there's atleast 4 gays in this forum, probably more) so they can hate on our religion anonymously. I only respond with an eye to eye approach, ins. I don't care for political correctness or sparing feelings when something I stand for is attacked.

It's funny that you brought this topic up today Domanic, because I was just reading today an article about Jonah on Wikipedia and it goes something like this.

Jonah is commanded by God to go to the city of Nineveh in order to prophesy against it "for their great wickedness has come come up before be".(Jonah 1:2)...Instead Jonah tries to flee from God's presence by sailing off to the opposite direction and going to Tarshish. When Jonah was in the sea a storm started to brew. The sailors realized that this was no ordinary storm and came to realize that Jonah was to blame. The sailors tried to dump as much cargo as possible before giving up, but felt forced to throw him overboard, at which point the sea calms. The sailors then offered sacrifices to God. Jonah is miraculously saved by being swallowed by a large whale-like fish in whose belly he spends three days and three nights While in the great fish, Jonah prays to God in his affliction and commits to thanksgiving and to paying what he has vowed. God commands the fish to spew Jonah out.​

I can't even begin to tell you how humorous I found this to be 

Domanic said:
I'm not going to let it go it's freedom of speech, if you don't like my post then don't join in and say "Ar you rally going to start this BS up again?".

The only reason why you are Christian is because of your parents and indoctrination at an early age or that in a way Christianity is a culture but you want to keep the beliefs that come with it.

it's not freedom of speech to annoy people.

khmaree, how many times do I need to tell you that (Assyrian) Christianity is what preserved our ancient culture.

How many times do I need to tell you that we preserved the Mesopotamian culture through Christianity...

Put this through your head...

Jonah is commanded by God to go to the city of Nineveh in order to prophesy against it "for their great wickedness has come come up before be".(Jonah 1:2)...Instead Jonah tries to flee from God's presence by sailing off to the opposite direction and going to Tarshish. When Jonah was in the sea a storm started to brew. The sailors realized that this was no ordinary storm and came to realize that Jonah was to blame. The sailors tried to dump as much cargo as possible before giving up, but felt forced to throw him overboard, at which point the sea calms. The sailors then offered sacrifices to God. Jonah is miraculously saved by being swallowed by a large whale-like fish in whose belly he spends three days and three nights While in the great fish, Jonah prays to God in his affliction and commits to thanksgiving and to paying what he has vowed. God commands the fish to spew Jonah out.​

I actually can't stop laughing

Joe25 said:
...homo's, atheism etc. because these are absolute non existent issues in the Assyrian communities.
hate to break to you, but, you might think homo's and atheism aren't an issue but the fact is, although the issue is not great enough to be a situation right now, you can definitely expect it to become one in the near future 

mrzurnaci said:

I'm not suggesting that everyone who is non-atheistic here should be forced to act as an apologetic but...
my idea is that, If I were a super bible believing person, I would encourage freedom of speech towards religion in the form of theology.
It would be like constructive criticism. When the religion successfully defends itself from all the scrutinization it then deserves even more merit than it initially had

mrzurnaci said:
khmaree, how many times do I need to tell you that (Assyrian) Christianity is what preserved our ancient culture.
How many times do I need to tell you that we preserved the Mesopotamian culture through Christianity...

Honestly sometimes I think all Christianity did was make us the "sheep among the wolves".
And we are essentially considered Iraqi Christians.

mrzurnaci said:

Put this through your head...
Talk about reading into something too much. Lol. He didn't say that we should've never converted to Christianity. That wasn't his point. All he said was that, as of now, most of us should ditch Christianity and religion in general. That, I do agree with. You say you're a deist or something (?), therefore you should understand his point.

With that being said, you can still believe in Christianity and science. Just as long as they don't clash. As a matter of fact, nowhere in the bible does it say that the world is 6000 years old. So many Christians actually laugh at young earth creationists. Domanic somehow thinks that every Christian is like that evangelical from Missouri. Fortunately so, they are not. Not to mention, a good dosage of Christians take the Jonah stories and the likes as metaphors, though they would still believe the Jesus part literally (my mother for instance).

I personally accept the beauty of evolution (khlapet khelo). I got a few books on evolution and science. It makes the most perfect sense to me. Its books give me awe just like how the bible would for a Christian and the Quran for a Muslim. Yes, I believe that we share a common ancestor with apes, and that we would've looked no different to a chimp 6 million years ago. There is credible evidence for these things.

ins001 said:
Honestly sometimes I think all Christianity did was make us the "sheep among the wolves".

Well, Jesus himself prophesied that this would happen to us.
I guess it was the sacrifice we had to make, the "cross the we must carry".

Neon said:
Talk about reading into something too much. Lol. He didn't say that we should've never converted to Christianity. That wasn't his point. All he said was that, as of now,

Lol, I took it that mrzurnaci's meaning is that we have to pay homage to the religion of Christianity because it has allowed to effectively resist arabization

ins001 said:
Lol, I took it that mrzurnaci's meaning is that we have to pay homage to the religion of Christianity because it has allowed to effectively resist arabization
I took it that way too. And we should. But that doesn't mean we are obliged to be adherents of it. Paying homage is the farthest I can do. And it's not bad at all.

But then again, we don't know what would've really happened in an alternate history. I mean, if we were Ashurist, Zoroastrian and whatnot, who says that we would've been Arabicized? Assyrians are strong people and stubborn, regardless of their belief. I believe (or hypothesize that), no matter what religion we were, we still would not have been Arabicized. I believe that our Assyrianism kept us knitted as one, not our religion.

What does the Earth being 6000 years old and flat have to do with religion?
Domanic, quit being 15 already. Your stupid is showing.

Domanic said:
I'm just saying "Why would you choose religion for Science".

Some people choose religion over science because they realize that without religion live is meaningless.
Think about it, if there really is no God, it means everything, everything, and Everything makes absolutely no sense.
We would just be biological robots and nothing else would matter.

Domanic said:
Why do you choose Religion over Science? Do you actually believe the earth is flat, created in seven days and is 6000 years old?
as Neon mentioned earlier no where in the Bible does it explicitly state that the Earth is 6000 years old
Domanic said:
If Christianity is the truth, what about the 6000+ Religions and according to some scientists 500 Million+ different types of intelligent life in the universe.. Are they followers of Christianity in a planet somewhere in the Andromeda galaxy?
elaborate on your issue with this.
Domanic said:
What about the evidence for Evolution?, You can look into the bones of early ancestors and compare the two to modern humans including the other apes that led to modern-day humans.
What part of the Bible is against evolution exactly?
Domanic said:
Astronomers a few months ago saw a creation of a planet miles away and saw a cell evolve in a few hours with different characteristics, they have been so many tests.
source please
Domanic said:
Also, how could Noah fit all those animals in a big "floating barn"?
This is the adaptation of the story, The Epic of Gilgamesh
Domanic said:
Think about it, you can say Christianity is apart of our "culture" but it doesn't change the fact.
In my opinion I don't want to believe, I want to know.
Are you genuinely open to accepting the knowledge of God so as long as it meets your criteria of credibility?

Domanic said:
It gives clues in the bible that according to the book that the earth is 6000+ years old, because it doesn't even mention the Ice age in the bible it goes straight to talking about the Ancient Egyptians, Babylonians and Assyrians straight after Noah and Adam & Eve.
Actually, the Bible gives clues to the contrary, a simple understanding of Biblical Hebrew could facilitate the deciphering of Genesis Ch.1 & 2. Also, the Bible (in this case Genesis, Exodus, etc.) does not even mention the Ice Age because it is quite irrelevant. God's intention was never to give Moses a geological report on Mt. Sinai.
Domanic said:
The bible is against Evolution that should be a given... "God creates the world in 7 days", i'm pretty sure you heard that story when you were younger.
You should do some more research on Genesis, (in particular Biblical Hebrew), to find out what exactly was meant by the word "yom".
Domanic said:
Noah's Ark was probably not big enough and doesn't mention all the animals, and they are thousands of different species... where is the woolly mammoth or the Dinosaurs on the boat?
Dinosaurs died out long before Noah came around. And the flood was not on a global scale but rather a localized region. Understanding the Hebrew language would significantly help in the understanding of these accounts.
Domanic said:
Thank you, I will definitely take a look at this interesting article.
Domanic said:
I think the belief in a god is ridiculous as people believing in Santa or faries (Including angles).
Not believing in God could be as ridiculous as believing in Santa. And there is no need for belief in angles because there is no faith required to believe in them. We see them everywhere, and I am quite offended that you don't like angles, trigonometry is my past time hobby.   
Domanic said:
What I'm saying about the "they are 6000 religions and million+ different types of  intelligent life in the universe" is that.. Why would god only let 2 Billion OUT of 7 BILLION people and 500+ Million others out their in the universe go to heaven.

All religions are geographical, Science is universal.. Science beats superstitions that haven't been proven for over thousands of years by Billions of religious followers.
he simply doesn't care. The scary thing is is that God can be as (and more) corrupt than your imagination can conceive, he is God afterall

I made the first reply in this thread and tried to give a serious and sensible response. There is a lot of philosophical discussion on what science and religion are intended to provide answers for. It's sad to see this devolved into a flame war anyway.

Perhaps the problem is not religion or science, but more the fact that some people can't keep a calm demeanor while talking about these subjects?

Kelba said:
I made the first reply in this thread and tried to give a serious and sensible response. There is a lot of philosophical discussion on what science and religion are intended to provide answers for. It's sad to see this devolved into a flame war anyway.

Perhaps the problem is not religion or science, but more the fact that some people can't keep a calm demeanor while talking about these subjects?
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I love you Kelba, you made me laugh so much. I can't believe how funny this is.
Who is getting mad? Everyone has a calm demeanor

Back