Why do so many people think we are extinct?

why do you ask dumb questions instead of (easily) finding out / researching why?

As Neon said, we have little to no exposure due to media and population size

2. We've been changing our name from Assyrian to Syriac, Syrian, Chaldean, Aramean, Aramaics...

and 3. we're spread out which lessens our population density within an area.

mrzurnaci said:
As Neon said, we have little to no exposure due to media and population size
I have tried "pimping" Assyrian people on Wikipedia pages - the pages on music, weddings, ethnicity/culture and the likes. For instance, I added a photo of Assyrians playing zorna and dawula on a page about Folk Music. These "tactics" can make people know us more. More Assyrians should add content about their ethnicity on Wikipedia. Yes, it's not much, but it's a start...

Neon said:
I have tried "pimping" Assyrian people on Wikipedia pages - the pages on music, weddings, ethnicity/culture and the likes. For instance, I added a photo of Assyrians playing zorna and dawula on a page about Folk Music. These "tactics" can make people know us more. More Assyrians should add content about their ethnicity on Wikipedia. Yes, it's not much, but it's a start...
Great idea.
That reminds me.
Here's the Syriac Wikipedia barely anyone edits.
https://arc.wikipedia.org/wiki

Etain said:
Great idea.
That reminds me.

That's on account that it's difficult for newbies like me to read it.

I usually use vowel markings with my words, i can read both western and eastern markings but, considering my English upbringing, I don't know too much modern Assyrian vocabulary to not use vowel markings at all.

Domanic said:
Thank you, if only I knew what DPS stands for.
Display pictures...avatars....

Etain said:
Great idea.
That reminds me.
Interesting. Never heard of it.

I think they rarely edit it because it's in Estrangela (which is the old form of the script). Assyrians in general find that harder to read than the Madnh?y? script. The latter is much more simpler.

Many people don't even think we're extinct they just don't know that we exist, they don't  even know what is Mesopotamia, Assyria and that there is still its indigenous people living and speaking the language.

They just see us as middle eastern Christian that is all. They don't know Ancient history, Syriac Christianity...

It's like the copts, most people don't know that the Copts are the indigenous people of Egypt and that they preserved the last stage of the Egyptian language through Coptic...

Etain said:
Great idea.
That reminds me.

I've read many pages of it already, it was easy to understand.

Neon said:
Display pictures...avatars....
Interesting. Never heard of it.

I think they rarely edit it because it's in Estrangela (which is the old form of the script). Assyrians in general find that harder to read than the Madnh?y? script. The latter is much more simpler.
Because Estrangela is the one that is automatically installed when you use Syriac script on Windows.When I first started learning the script,it was all in Estrangela.And for good reason, certainly it is the most beautiful.

Etain said:
Because Estrangela is the one that is automatically installed when you use Syriac script on Windows.When I first started learning the script,it was all in Estrangela.And for good reason, certainly it is the most beautiful.
I know. They should just add the Madnhaya script too.

The truth is that l as a Syriac, and not like an aramean or assyrian or like a fanatic guy that most l know are and most of u are, dont consider myself assyrian or aramean only syriac. When it comes to MY history, l consider that it begins when the syriac orthodox church was created and not the assyrian or aramean history, like u say you come from. Why? first l considered myself as a syriac then aramean (strong claim) and then assyrian (little claim) and in the end right now as just Syriac. I love syrianska fc because of the name that it means suryoyo and hate that they call themselves aramean.I know some things that other people dont know about our people because l studied and worked really hard to find the truth, when l was suryoyo 4ever, some years back ago, and didnt come to a conclusion because they both (assyrian and aramean) have evidence and strong ones. l couldnt be happy about my history so l started to think by myself that my history begins with the syriac orthodox church and maybe the osroene kingdom. I couldnt possible marry an east assyrian girl but rather west assyrian girl because some says we are the same people and some says its not the truth. And l myself dont feel comfortable with an east assyrian girl. If she call herself suryeyto then l would be happy, even if she maybe would like assyriska and not syrianska because l dont care about that. I dont only study assyrian history (will study history on university) or aramean history but also other interesting history of other people for example alexander the great or byzantine history and l right know dont care about my history. I think l read all about our history and l just couldnt come to a conclusion and the truth is that l am afraid to say to an assyrian guy that you are wrong about who you are because they get angry or to an aramean guy the same thing, l think that they are fanatic, they havent read all thing and still say they are right about who they are and the truth is that l am swedish and syriac and l am neutral! now the readers will probably be angry of what l wrote to you and will start to say l am wrong and many thing but please you were born to be assyrian or to think that you are assyrians and it will be hard for you to accept what l wrote. Stop being fanatic and be educated! be neutral like me and accept the whole truth about the history of the syriac people! AND I AM NOT RELIGIOUS! I love the syriac patriarch and even saw him and took a photo:)

Neta1991 said:
The truth is that l as a Syriac, and not like an aramean or assyrian or like a fanatic guy that most l know are and most of u are, dont consider myself assyrian or aramean only syriac. When it comes to MY history, l consider that it begins when the syriac orthodox church was created and not the assyrian or aramean history, like u say you come from. Why? first l considered myself as a syriac then aramean (strong claim) and then assyrian (little claim) and in the end right now as just Syriac. I love syrianska fc because of the name that it means suryoyo and hate that they call themselves aramean.I know some things that other people dont know about our people because l studied and worked really hard to find the truth, when l was suryoyo 4ever, some years back ago, and didnt come to a conclusion because they both (assyrian and aramean) have evidence and strong ones. l couldnt be happy about my history so l started to think by myself that my history begins with the syriac orthodox church and maybe the osroene kingdom. I couldnt possible marry an east assyrian girl but rather west assyrian girl because some says we are the same people and some says its not the truth. And l myself dont feel comfortable with an east assyrian girl. If she call herself suryeyto then l would be happy, even if she maybe would like assyriska and not syrianska because l dont care about that. I dont only study assyrian history (will study history on university) or aramean history but also other interesting history of other people for example alexander the great or byzantine history and l right know dont care about my history. I think l read all about our history and l just couldnt come to a conclusion and the truth is that l am afraid to say to an assyrian guy that you are wrong about who you are because they get angry or to an aramean guy the same thing, l think that they are fanatic, they havent read all thing and still say they are right about who they are and the truth is that l am swedish and syriac and l am neutral! now the readers will probably be angry of what l wrote to you and will start to say l am wrong and many thing but please you were born to be assyrian or to think that you are assyrians and it will be hard for you to accept what l wrote. Stop being fanatic and be educated! be neutral like me and accept the whole truth about the history of the syriac people! AND I AM NOT RELIGIOUS! I love the syriac patriarch and even saw him and took a photo:)

"The truth is that l as a Syriac, and not like an aramean or assyrian or like a fanatic guy that most l know are and most of u are, dont consider myself assyrian or aramean only syriac. When it comes to MY history, l consider that it begins when the syriac orthodox church was created and not the assyrian or aramean history, like u say you come from. Why? first l considered myself as a syriac then aramean (strong claim) and then assyrian (little claim) and in the end right now as just Syriac. I love syrianska fc because of the name that it means suryoyo and hate that they call themselves aramean.I know some things that other people dont know about our people because l studied and worked really hard to find the truth, when l was suryoyo 4ever, some years back ago, and didnt come to a conclusion because they both (assyrian and aramean) have evidence and strong ones. l couldnt be happy about my history so l started to think by myself that my history begins with the syriac orthodox church and maybe the osroene kingdom. I couldnt possible marry an east assyrian girl but rather west assyrian girl because some says we are the same people and some says its not the truth. And l myself dont feel comfortable with an east assyrian girl. If she call herself suryeyto then l would be happy, even if she maybe would like assyriska and not syrianska because l dont care about that. I dont only study assyrian history (will study history on university) or aramean history but also other interesting history of other people for example alexander the great or byzantine history and l right know dont care about my history. I think l read all about our history and l just couldnt come to a conclusion and the truth is that l am afraid to say to an assyrian guy that you are wrong about who you are because they get angry or to an aramean guy the same thing, l think that they are fanatic, they havent read all thing and still say they are right about who they are and the truth is that l am swedish and syriac and l am neutral! now the readers will probably be angry of what l wrote to you and will start to say l am wrong and many thing but please you were born to be assyrian or to think that you are assyrians and it will be hard for you to accept what l wrote. Stop being fanatic and be educated! be neutral like me and accept the whole truth about the history of the syriac people! AND I AM NOT RELIGIOUS! I love the syriac patriarch and even saw him and took a photo"

Pure hypocrisy and contradiction right there lol

Don't be fanatic but you're not going to marry an East Assyrian girl unless she says she's Suryeyto?

Lol no, l meant that l only marry suryeyto (West assyrian) because then l can also tell her to not to call herself assyrian or aramean but only syriac (Suryoyo). For me, due to no conclusion, its the right name for the West Syriacs. And btw plz stop call the syrianska fans for wannabe arameans if u havent read all things!

Neta1991 said:
Lol no, l meant that l only marry suryeyto (West assyrian) because then l can also tell her to not to call herself assyrian or aramean but only syriac (Suryoyo). For me, due to no conclusion, its the right name for the West Syriacs. And btw plz stop call the syrianska fans for wannabe arameans if u havent read all things!

There's no difference between West and Eastern Assyrians. Stop being a Sadr Sectarian....

Take your backwards ideology to the Muslims...

Neta1991 yes we call ourselves Suryoye but it's a branch of the whole Assyrian tree. Most Suryoye I know are like you, they don't really care about Assyrianism or Arameanism(though the ones that do, side with the latter) however the history of a race of people is very important and ours is traced back to ancient Assyria.

And btw, regardless if you marry an east or west Assyrian girl you would not be 'race-mixing' because DNA studies have proven that we're the same people.

mrzurnaci said:
There's no difference between West and Eastern Assyrians. Stop being a Sadr Sectarian....

Take your backwards ideology to the Muslims...

And here we go, the fanatic guy has written! I knew u would get angry. U dont know what l know because u dont read the Aramean evidence at all, only what u want to know and thats Assyrian evidence. U are not like me and will never be. So just stfu ***** and u too joe stfu. Read the Aramean evidence then write it down like if its that easy bitch

Neta1991 said:
And here we go, the fanatic guy has written! I knew u would get angry. U dont know what l know because u dont read the Aramean evidence at all, only what u want to know and thats Assyrian evidence. U are not like me and will never be. So just stfu ***** and u too joe stfu. Read the Aramean evidence then write it down like if its that easy *****

Dude, all of the Aramean evidence you presented has already been refuted...

Don't tell Joe to shut up, he has the freedom of speech and you WILL respect your fellow Syriac-speaker or I WILL bring the Sandal of God on you...

Everything I know about Arameans and Assyrians are from WESTERN Historians, Archaeologists, and Western holders of Doctorates.

If they tell me, with proof and evidence, that all modern Syriac-speakers are ethnically Assyrian, then I'm very inclined to believe them because there's no counter-evidence against it...

In all honesty, you're the fanatic one here. I don't even use the Assyrian name to address myself to foreigners, I always say Mesopotamian...

I can use Mesopotamian and Assyrian whenever I want because I know who I am and I know who my people are and my people are the Syriac-speaking people of the Middle East whom have one single heritage and culture...

mrzurnaci said:
Dude, all of the Aramean evidence you presented has already been refuted...

Don't tell Joe to shut up, he has the freedom of speech and you WILL respect your fellow Syriac-speaker or I WILL bring the Sandal of God on you...

Everything I know about Arameans and Assyrians are from WESTERN Historians, Archaeologists, and Western holders of Doctorates.

If they tell me, with proof and evidence, that all modern Syriac-speakers are ethnically Assyrian, then I'm very inclined to believe them because there's no counter-evidence against it...

In all honesty, you're the fanatic one here. I don't even use the Assyrian name to address myself to foreigners, I always say Mesopotamian...

I can use Mesopotamian and Assyrian whenever I want because I know who I am and I know who my people are and my people are the Syriac-speaking people of the Middle East whom have one single heritage and culture...

LOL REFUTED WHY? becuase u are fanatic! plz write down every aramean evidence you know plz, l beg you! so that l know if you think like me or not, and only after l will see why you think you are assyrian and how you can say no to that.

Neta1991 said:
LOL REFUTED WHY? becuase u are fanatic! plz write down every aramean evidence you know plz, l beg you! so that l know if you think like me or not, and only after l will see why you think you are assyrian and how you can say no to that.

Arameans were a Semitic people who spoke their own Semitic language (Aramaic) which used a modified version of the Phoenician alphabet.

The Arameans were semi-nomadic and lived and spread from what is known as the region of Damascus and the Anti-Lebanon mountains.

The Arameans were neighbors of the growing ancient Assyrian empire who recently regained independence from the Hurrians and annexed Babylonia.

Arameans at this time had formed multiple states and kingdoms in the Damascus and anti-Lebanon mountain regions.

I don't if it was before or after ancient Assyrian conquest that Arameans began to spread out into Mesopotamia which allowed the Aramaic language to grow and gain influence.

After that point, the ancient Assyrian empire adopted Aramaic alongside Akkadian as the official language.

After that, Akkadian infused Aramaic slowly began to evolve into Syriac while the native Aramean population in the Damascus region had no such Akkadian influence.

Thus the Aramaic language had split into East and West while the boundaries of what was the region of Assyria was split by the Euphrates river.

Those who lived West of the Euphrates were typical Arameans while those who lived East of the Euphrates were typically Mesopotamians.

As Christianity formed, Arameans pretty much experienced what Assyrians experienced: A quick renaissance of their culture and then a decline by Islam.

The Arameans were more affected by Islam due to the conquering of Bilad al-Sham by Omar, ever famous for his rules on Christians called the Pact of Omar.

This led the Aramean population to Islamize and Arabize much faster than what Assyrians experienced in Mesopotamia.

The coup de grace on the Aramean population occurred during the Invasion of Timur who, not only committed genocide-like massacres on Assyrians but swept through Sham the same, leaving both regions devastated and to be repopulated by nomadic Arabs and Kurds...

If you're not Assyrian, then you're Mesopotamian. It doesn't matter what name you pick because you'll always be an ethnic Mesopotamian. Your ancestors lived in Mesopotamia and spoke the Syriac and not Western Aramaic language. You're also a really obvious and bad Fanatic troll...

mrzurnaci said:
Arameans were a Semitic people who spoke their own Semitic language (Aramaic) which used a modified version of the Phoenician alphabet.

The Arameans were semi-nomadic and lived and spread from what is known as the region of Damascus and the Anti-Lebanon mountains.

The Arameans were neighbors of the growing ancient Assyrian empire who recently regained independence from the Hurrians and annexed Babylonia.

Arameans at this time had formed multiple states and kingdoms in the Damascus and anti-Lebanon mountain regions.

I don't if it was before or after ancient Assyrian conquest that Arameans began to spread out into Mesopotamia which allowed the Aramaic language to grow and gain influence.

After that point, the ancient Assyrian empire adopted Aramaic alongside Akkadian as the official language.

After that, Akkadian infused Aramaic slowly began to evolve into Syriac while the native Aramean population in the Damascus region had no such Akkadian influence.

Thus the Aramaic language had split into East and West while the boundaries of what was the region of Assyria was split by the Euphrates river.

Those who lived West of the Euphrates were typical Arameans while those who lived East of the Euphrates were typically Mesopotamians.

As Christianity formed, Arameans pretty much experienced what Assyrians experienced: A quick renaissance of their culture and then a decline by Islam.

The Arameans were more affected by Islam due to the conquering of Bilad al-Sham by Omar, ever famous for his rules on Christians called the Pact of Omar.

This led the Aramean population to Islamize and Arabize much faster than what Assyrians experienced in Mesopotamia.

The coup de grace on the Aramean population occurred during the Invasion of Timur who, not only committed genocide-like massacres on Assyrians but swept through Sham the same, leaving both regions devastated and to be repopulated by nomadic Arabs and Kurds...

If you're not Assyrian, then you're Mesopotamian. It doesn't matter what name you pick because you'll always be an ethnic Mesopotamian. Your ancestors lived in Mesopotamia and spoke the Syriac and not Western Aramaic language. You're also a really obvious and bad Fanatic troll...

The ancient greeks called the arameans and assyrians syrians. " The people we call syrians,call themselves Arameans ". Syriac church fathers called their people arameans. In the east,  they called them Assyrians, while in the West, the people knew them as Syrians, when talking about Assyrians. The Turabdin people, after the fall of Nineveh, attacked the Babylonians,maybe because the turabdin people ( arameans) became Assyrians, source aina. And many more evidence! I AM A HISTORIAN AND NOT A FANATIC, U LITTLE RAT!

Back