• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Why do so many people think we are extinct?

mrzurnaci

New member
why do you ask dumb questions instead of (easily) finding out / researching why?

As Neon said, we have little to no exposure due to media and population size

2. We've been changing our name from Assyrian to Syriac, Syrian, Chaldean, Aramean, Aramaics...

and 3. we're spread out which lessens our population density within an area.
 

Cascade

New member
mrzurnaci said:
As Neon said, we have little to no exposure due to media and population size
I have tried "pimping" Assyrian people on Wikipedia pages - the pages on music, weddings, ethnicity/culture and the likes. For instance, I added a photo of Assyrians playing zorna and dawula on a page about Folk Music. These "tactics" can make people know us more. More Assyrians should add content about their ethnicity on Wikipedia. Yes, it's not much, but it's a start...
 

Etain

Member
Neon said:
I have tried "pimping" Assyrian people on Wikipedia pages - the pages on music, weddings, ethnicity/culture and the likes. For instance, I added a photo of Assyrians playing zorna and dawula on a page about Folk Music. These "tactics" can make people know us more. More Assyrians should add content about their ethnicity on Wikipedia. Yes, it's not much, but it's a start...
Great idea.
That reminds me.
Here's the Syriac Wikipedia barely anyone edits.
https://arc.wikipedia.org/wiki
 

mrzurnaci

New member
Etain said:
Great idea.
That reminds me.
Here's the Syriac Wikipedia barely anyone edits.
https://arc.wikipedia.org/wiki
That's on account that it's difficult for newbies like me to read it.

I usually use vowel markings with my words, i can read both western and eastern markings but, considering my English upbringing, I don't know too much modern Assyrian vocabulary to not use vowel markings at all.
 

Cascade

New member
Domanic said:
Thank you, if only I knew what DPS stands for.
Display pictures...avatars....

Etain said:
Great idea.
That reminds me.
Here's the Syriac Wikipedia barely anyone edits.
https://arc.wikipedia.org/wiki
Interesting. Never heard of it.

I think they rarely edit it because it's in Estrangela (which is the old form of the script). Assyrians in general find that harder to read than the Madnh?y? script. The latter is much more simpler.
 

Shahin

Member
Many people don't even think we're extinct they just don't know that we exist, they don't  even know what is Mesopotamia, Assyria and that there is still its indigenous people living and speaking the language.

They just see us as middle eastern Christian that is all. They don't know Ancient history, Syriac Christianity...

It's like the copts, most people don't know that the Copts are the indigenous people of Egypt and that they preserved the last stage of the Egyptian language through Coptic...

Etain said:
Great idea.
That reminds me.
Here's the Syriac Wikipedia barely anyone edits.
https://arc.wikipedia.org/wiki
I've read many pages of it already, it was easy to understand.
 

Etain

Member
Neon said:
Display pictures...avatars....
Interesting. Never heard of it.

I think they rarely edit it because it's in Estrangela (which is the old form of the script). Assyrians in general find that harder to read than the Madnh?y? script. The latter is much more simpler.
Because Estrangela is the one that is automatically installed when you use Syriac script on Windows.When I first started learning the script,it was all in Estrangela.And for good reason, certainly it is the most beautiful.
 

Cascade

New member
Etain said:
Because Estrangela is the one that is automatically installed when you use Syriac script on Windows.When I first started learning the script,it was all in Estrangela.And for good reason, certainly it is the most beautiful.
I know. They should just add the Madnhaya script too.
 

Neta1991

New member
The truth is that l as a Syriac, and not like an aramean or assyrian or like a fanatic guy that most l know are and most of u are, dont consider myself assyrian or aramean only syriac. When it comes to MY history, l consider that it begins when the syriac orthodox church was created and not the assyrian or aramean history, like u say you come from. Why? first l considered myself as a syriac then aramean (strong claim) and then assyrian (little claim) and in the end right now as just Syriac. I love syrianska fc because of the name that it means suryoyo and hate that they call themselves aramean.I know some things that other people dont know about our people because l studied and worked really hard to find the truth, when l was suryoyo 4ever, some years back ago, and didnt come to a conclusion because they both (assyrian and aramean) have evidence and strong ones. l couldnt be happy about my history so l started to think by myself that my history begins with the syriac orthodox church and maybe the osroene kingdom. I couldnt possible marry an east assyrian girl but rather west assyrian girl because some says we are the same people and some says its not the truth. And l myself dont feel comfortable with an east assyrian girl. If she call herself suryeyto then l would be happy, even if she maybe would like assyriska and not syrianska because l dont care about that. I dont only study assyrian history (will study history on university) or aramean history but also other interesting history of other people for example alexander the great or byzantine history and l right know dont care about my history. I think l read all about our history and l just couldnt come to a conclusion and the truth is that l am afraid to say to an assyrian guy that you are wrong about who you are because they get angry or to an aramean guy the same thing, l think that they are fanatic, they havent read all thing and still say they are right about who they are and the truth is that l am swedish and syriac and l am neutral! now the readers will probably be angry of what l wrote to you and will start to say l am wrong and many thing but please you were born to be assyrian or to think that you are assyrians and it will be hard for you to accept what l wrote. Stop being fanatic and be educated! be neutral like me and accept the whole truth about the history of the syriac people! AND I AM NOT RELIGIOUS! I love the syriac patriarch and even saw him and took a photo:)
 

mrzurnaci

New member
Neta1991 said:
The truth is that l as a Syriac, and not like an aramean or assyrian or like a fanatic guy that most l know are and most of u are, dont consider myself assyrian or aramean only syriac. When it comes to MY history, l consider that it begins when the syriac orthodox church was created and not the assyrian or aramean history, like u say you come from. Why? first l considered myself as a syriac then aramean (strong claim) and then assyrian (little claim) and in the end right now as just Syriac. I love syrianska fc because of the name that it means suryoyo and hate that they call themselves aramean.I know some things that other people dont know about our people because l studied and worked really hard to find the truth, when l was suryoyo 4ever, some years back ago, and didnt come to a conclusion because they both (assyrian and aramean) have evidence and strong ones. l couldnt be happy about my history so l started to think by myself that my history begins with the syriac orthodox church and maybe the osroene kingdom. I couldnt possible marry an east assyrian girl but rather west assyrian girl because some says we are the same people and some says its not the truth. And l myself dont feel comfortable with an east assyrian girl. If she call herself suryeyto then l would be happy, even if she maybe would like assyriska and not syrianska because l dont care about that. I dont only study assyrian history (will study history on university) or aramean history but also other interesting history of other people for example alexander the great or byzantine history and l right know dont care about my history. I think l read all about our history and l just couldnt come to a conclusion and the truth is that l am afraid to say to an assyrian guy that you are wrong about who you are because they get angry or to an aramean guy the same thing, l think that they are fanatic, they havent read all thing and still say they are right about who they are and the truth is that l am swedish and syriac and l am neutral! now the readers will probably be angry of what l wrote to you and will start to say l am wrong and many thing but please you were born to be assyrian or to think that you are assyrians and it will be hard for you to accept what l wrote. Stop being fanatic and be educated! be neutral like me and accept the whole truth about the history of the syriac people! AND I AM NOT RELIGIOUS! I love the syriac patriarch and even saw him and took a photo:)
"The truth is that l as a Syriac, and not like an aramean or assyrian or like a fanatic guy that most l know are and most of u are, dont consider myself assyrian or aramean only syriac. When it comes to MY history, l consider that it begins when the syriac orthodox church was created and not the assyrian or aramean history, like u say you come from. Why? first l considered myself as a syriac then aramean (strong claim) and then assyrian (little claim) and in the end right now as just Syriac. I love syrianska fc because of the name that it means suryoyo and hate that they call themselves aramean.I know some things that other people dont know about our people because l studied and worked really hard to find the truth, when l was suryoyo 4ever, some years back ago, and didnt come to a conclusion because they both (assyrian and aramean) have evidence and strong ones. l couldnt be happy about my history so l started to think by myself that my history begins with the syriac orthodox church and maybe the osroene kingdom. I couldnt possible marry an east assyrian girl but rather west assyrian girl because some says we are the same people and some says its not the truth. And l myself dont feel comfortable with an east assyrian girl. If she call herself suryeyto then l would be happy, even if she maybe would like assyriska and not syrianska because l dont care about that. I dont only study assyrian history (will study history on university) or aramean history but also other interesting history of other people for example alexander the great or byzantine history and l right know dont care about my history. I think l read all about our history and l just couldnt come to a conclusion and the truth is that l am afraid to say to an assyrian guy that you are wrong about who you are because they get angry or to an aramean guy the same thing, l think that they are fanatic, they havent read all thing and still say they are right about who they are and the truth is that l am swedish and syriac and l am neutral! now the readers will probably be angry of what l wrote to you and will start to say l am wrong and many thing but please you were born to be assyrian or to think that you are assyrians and it will be hard for you to accept what l wrote. Stop being fanatic and be educated! be neutral like me and accept the whole truth about the history of the syriac people! AND I AM NOT RELIGIOUS! I love the syriac patriarch and even saw him and took a photo"

Pure hypocrisy and contradiction right there lol

Don't be fanatic but you're not going to marry an East Assyrian girl unless she says she's Suryeyto?
 

Neta1991

New member
Lol no, l meant that l only marry suryeyto (West assyrian) because then l can also tell her to not to call herself assyrian or aramean but only syriac (Suryoyo). For me, due to no conclusion, its the right name for the West Syriacs. And btw plz stop call the syrianska fans for wannabe arameans if u havent read all things!
 

mrzurnaci

New member
Neta1991 said:
Lol no, l meant that l only marry suryeyto (West assyrian) because then l can also tell her to not to call herself assyrian or aramean but only syriac (Suryoyo). For me, due to no conclusion, its the right name for the West Syriacs. And btw plz stop call the syrianska fans for wannabe arameans if u havent read all things!
There's no difference between West and Eastern Assyrians. Stop being a Sadr Sectarian....

Take your backwards ideology to the Muslims...
 

Joe25

New member
Neta1991 yes we call ourselves Suryoye but it's a branch of the whole Assyrian tree. Most Suryoye I know are like you, they don't really care about Assyrianism or Arameanism(though the ones that do, side with the latter) however the history of a race of people is very important and ours is traced back to ancient Assyria.

And btw, regardless if you marry an east or west Assyrian girl you would not be 'race-mixing' because DNA studies have proven that we're the same people.
 
Top