which dialect is this?

carlos7ja

which dialect (eastern, western? ) is this, those phrases i picked them up from my family

meleh shommukh

tazet beta?

meleh khwada? meleh awwa?

kela tarra?

spayeh?

msawet surat?

kli khacha

bronet mannileh awwa?

can somebody please identify this dialect?

thanks
carlos :D

Sounds like a standard Assyrian dialect (Iraqi Koine) which is inspired by Tyari/Ashita dialect (hence "Msawtet").

Neon said:
Sounds like a standard Assyrian dialect (Iraqi Koine) which is inspired by Tyari/A****a dialect (hence "Msawtet").

did you understand every word i wrote?
and what do you mean with Tyari dialect? what is it?

could u please write the same sentences but with your own dialect please? :)

carlos7ja said:
did you understand every word i wrote?
and what do you mean with Tyari dialect? what is it?

could u please write the same sentences but with your own dialect please? :)
I understood most of them, except for "meleh khwada". I take it "khwada" means "awa"?

The Tyari dialect is based in the Hakkari mountains in Turkey (as is Nochiyeh, Baz, Jelu, Gawar - the so called "Ashiret dialects"). It's an eastern Assyrian dialect. The Tyrari has sub-dialects such as Asheta, Giras, Nilgepeh, Dahayeh, etc. They tend to have the most thickest accents. They use the fricative "th" a lot (betha, kthetha, sureth, etc". They say "sawthet" and "makhkee" for speak, whilst Urmians say "hamzem". They say "hayo" (Ashetas) and "sha" (Giras) for come, whilst we say "ta".

How my dialect says them (Iraqi Koine, which is a mix of Urmian and Ashiret dialects):

moyleh shemmukh/makh (for female)

tazet beta?

moyleh awwa?

keleh tarra?

spayleh

hamzemet/mat (F) suret?

kli khacha

bronet mannileh awwa?

Not a big difference between what you wrote down. Just a few vowel changes, but nothing spectacularly different. Do you speak that way?

P.S. We say "ta", not "sha".

Neon said:
I understood most of them, except for "meleh khwada". I take it "khwada" means "awa"?

The Tyari dialect is based in the Hakkari mountains in Turkey (as is Nochiyeh, Baz, Jelu, Gawar - the so called "Ashiret dialects"). It's an eastern Assyrian dialect. The Tyrari has sub-dialects such as Asheta, Giras, Nilgepeh, Dahayeh, etc. They tend to have the most thickest accents. They use the fricative "th" a lot (betha, kthetha, sureth, etc". They say "sawthet" and "makhkee" for speak, whilst Urmians say "hamzem". They say "hayo" (Ashetas) and "sha" (Giras) for come, whilst we say "ta".

How my dialect says them (Iraqi Koine, which is a mix of Urmian and Ashiret dialects):

tazet beta?

moyleh awwa?

keleh tarra?

spayleh

hamzemet/mat (F) suret?

kli khacha

bronet mannileh awwa?

Not a big difference between what you wrote down. Just a few vowel changes, but nothing spectacularly different. Do you speak that way?

As an Assyrian of the Chaldean Church, I'd also like to translate these as to how we'd say them. Interestingly enough, my grandparents hail from Iran but my parents were both born in Zakho, Iraq.

Meyleh shemmakh?

B'zalakh beta?

Meyleh awwa?

Keleh tarra?

Spayleh - I'm guessing this is 'she is good', if so, we say 'ttawa elah' or abbreviated into 'ttawtelah'

This is where Arabic influence comes in, we don't say Hamzemat we say Mahkat? or G'Mahkat? I think Hamzemat is more authentic but I definitely know Mahkat is Arabic and not authentic.

Kli Kacha - This is wait a little, for this we say - Kli Kisa

And for the last one, it's the same.

Neon said:

tazet beta?

moyleh awwa?

keleh tarra?

spayleh

hamzemet/mat (F) suret?

kli khacha

bronet mannileh awwa?

yes my family (uncle, cousins, father..etc) do speak this way, i've got a chance to learn abit of assyrian from my father and my cousins, and they do speak it very clear like this. i guess you are right, it is a mixed dialect.  but im just so beginner in assyrian, because the environment around me wasnt that assyrian though. Too bad i regret this too much.

But when some assyrians speak infront of me, i feel the pride! :D haha
and ''meleh khwada'' i guess maybe it means if im not wrong '' what are you doing there ''

Mr. Tambourine Man said:
As an Assyrian of the Chaldean Church, I'd also like to translate these as to how we'd say them. Interestingly enough, my grandparents hail from Iran but my parents were both born in Zakho, Iraq.

Meyleh shemmakh?

B'zalakh beta?

Meyleh awwa?

Keleh tarra?

Spayleh - I'm guessing this is 'she is good', if so, we say 'ttawa elah' or abbreviated into 'ttawtelah'

This is where Arabic influence comes in, we don't say Hamzemat we say Mahkat? or G'Mahkat? I think Hamzemat is more authentic but I definitely know Mahkat is Arabic and not authentic.

Kli Kacha - This is wait a little, for this we say - Kli Kisa

And for the last one, it's the same.

i can see there abit difference, well Assyrian dialect from Iran hm..
my father always told me, that ewan agassi dialect is abit different. He can totaly understand his all songs, but some words to him were like really tough.

carlos7ja said:
yes my family (uncle, cousins, father..etc) do speak this way, i've got a chance to learn abit of assyrian from my father and my cousins, and they do speak it very clear like this. i guess you are right, it is a mixed dialect.  but im just so beginner in assyrian, because the environment around me wasnt that assyrian though. Too bad i regret this too much.

and ''meleh khwada'' i guess maybe it means if im not wrong '' what are you doing there ''

'Meleh khwada'

'Moodi khwada'

'Mewat wada' (this is the one I use)

These mean 'What are you doing?', add 'ttama' to the end of them and you'll have ''What are you doing there?''

Mr. Tambourine Man said:
Girasnayehs, who are non-Chaldean Assyrians, say "makhkee" (with a kh sound that is, not pharyngeal H). I think it's an authentic Aramaic word that is a cognate with the Arabic equivalent, as is "sawthet" (Arabic cognate is "sawt", meaning sound).

I've been told that "hamzem" is an Indo-Iranian word, but I'm not too sure. Urmians use it a lot. It could have an Iranian influence.

carlos7ja said:

That's nice to hear. Try learning Assyrian as much as you can. What did the people in your environment generally speak though?

"What are you doing here" is said as "mut(toon - if plural) wada lakha" by us. :)

Mr. Tambourine Man said:
'Meleh khwada'

'Moodi khwada'

'Mewat wada' (this is the one I use)

These mean 'What are you doing?', add 'ttama' to the end of them and you'll have ''What are you doing there?''

Bingo!! that's it ! basima raba! :D
I guess as assyrians, we should all struggle to unite the standard assyrian and write it in books and teach it in private schools for the next generation! ;D

Neon said:
Girasnayehs, who are non-Chaldean Assyrians, say "makhkee" (with a kh sound that is, not pharyngeal H). I think it's an authentic Aramaic word that is a cognate with the Arabic equivalent, as is "sawthet" (Arabic cognate is "sawt", meaning sound).

I've been told that "hamzem" is an Indo-Iranian word, but I'm not too sure. Urmians use it a lot. It could have an Iranian influence.
That's nice to hear. Try learning Assyrian as much as you can. What did the people in your environment generally speak though?

"What are you doing here" is said as "mut(toon - if plural) wada lakha" by us. :)

In general as adult german, childhood as a kid with lebanese christians, although all lebanese are all of assyrian origin but they dont speak it and identify themselves as maronites and some of their priests pray in aramaic (assyrian) in church. What a contradiction. :p
but as adult german.

Neon said:

im from the tkhuma tribe, what my family always said. :)

Back