Whatever Happened to the Assyrian Singers from Iran

ACANA

JermainTemraz.jpg

Shamiran.jpg

george3.jpg

EvinAghassi.jpg

Not long ago Assyrian singers of Iranian origion dominated the music scene. In the 80's & 90's, four of our most famous singers where from Iran. The music scene was dominated by none other than Jermaine Temraz, George Charbakchi, Shamiran and offcourse Evin Aghassi.

Since then no one has come out of Iran. Is is it becuase of the revolution or is it beacuase of the exedous of Assyrians from Iran. Obviously Evin is still going strong but the other three have literally vanished.

I think they (Assyrian singers from Iran) brought a different sound than the ones from Iraq. This might be one of the reasons why our music has suffered and has not modernized.

It would be nice to have a dedicated thread about the four greatest singers from Iran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_wD2Zx9V1s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G88Y1fAg-4M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHj2CjCDU6s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg0bvehI03g

Well, the revolution certainly played a major part in the mass exodus that still continues.  Unfortunately, Iraq is following suit.  We'll see if we can stop the bleeding there.

ACANA said:
Not long ago Assyrian singers of Iranian origion dominated the music scene. In the 80's & 90's, four of our most famous singers where from Iran. The music scene was dominated by none other than Jermaine Temraz, George Charbakchi, Shamiran and offcourse Evin Aghassi.

Since then no one has come out of Iran. Is is it becuase of the revolution or is it beacuase of the exedous of Assyrians from Iran. Obviously Evin is still going strong but the other three have literally vanished.

I think they (Assyrian singers from Iran) brought a different sound than the ones from Iraq. This might be one of the reasons why our music has suffered and has not modernized.

It would be nice to have a dedicated thread about the four greatest singers from Iran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_wD2Zx9V1s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G88Y1fAg-4M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHj2CjCDU6s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg0bvehI03g

Where is Robert Bet-Sayad ?  :beee: and his nany nany song

What a coincedence,  I was just talking yesterday about Shamirum and Jermain while  listening to Jermain ( halla eedokh qemakh raqdakh) and I asked the same question ! whatever happened to them

I've seen George in November 2007, and so happy to listen to his music again in Jan31/2009 at a wedding in Toronto  :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

Never liked Evin, but Jermain is my favorite female Assyrian singer. She has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard before. She really brought a modern tone to music and no female comes close to her in terms of vocals. Unfortunately, Assyrians didn't support her much at all towards the end and she had to look at other means of supporting herself. She's a very close family friend...I love her.

George Chaharbakhshi was awesome, too. Love his voice. And Shamirum is a legend!

Years ago Shamirum performed at the California state convention in Turlock.  We stayed until the very end of the evening, around 2 am,  and then our group (along with what seemed most of the party-goers) headed over to Lyon's restaurant for breakfast.  As we were all ready to dig into our beeyeh in walks Shamirum.  Everyone starts applauding her and chanting her name.  She stands up on one of the chairs and starts singing again and we started a khigga going right there in the restaurant!  I can only imagine what the workers must have been thinking that night!

Ashuriena said:
Never liked Evin, but Jermain is my favorite female Assyrian singer. She has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard before. She really brought a modern tone to music and no female comes close to her in terms of vocals. Unfortunately, Assyrians didn't support her much at all towards the end and she had to look at other means of supporting herself. She's a very close family friend...I love her.

George Chaharbakhshi was awesome, too. Love his voice. And Shamirum is a legend!

we are soo good at that la???

I think ur parents are originally from Iran, so you might not know what shirgawy means, I hear all the time that our ppl. pay $50-%100  to attaned a party for  shirgawy singer from Iraq, while complaining to pay $ 20 for ours

the big Hussam Al-rassam is just one of the Shirgawy, and our ppl. specially females go crazy about him,
he has such disgusting voice, not to mention his lyrics( sorry I should say his crap)

baklawa said:
Years ago Shamirum performed at the California state convention in Turlock.  We stayed until the very end of the evening, around 2 am,  and then our group (along with what seemed most of the party-goers) headed over to Lyon's restaurant for breakfast.  As we were all ready to dig into our beeyeh in walks Shamirum.  Everyone starts applauding her and chanting her name.  She stands up on one of the chairs and starts singing again and we started a khigga going right there in the restaurant!  I can only imagine what the workers must have been thinking that night!

Restaurants open that late in Turlock? 

Tears of Assyria said:
we are soo good at that la???

I think ur parents are originally from Iran, so you might not know what shirgawy means, I hear all the time that our ppl. pay $50-%100  to attaned a party for  shirgawy singer from Iraq, while complaining to pay $ 20 for ours

the big Hussam Al-rassam is just one of the Shirgawy, and our ppl. specially females go crazy about him,
he has such disgusting voice, not to mention his lyrics( sorry I should say his crap)

My parents aren't from Iran, but my grandparents are. I know what "shirqaweeyeh" are...sometimes I hear those singer being referred to as "hoshareh." :lol: But yea, I agree.

Well we cannot blame the Assyrian people if singers dont come out of Iran.
We should blame the new singers that are coming out of Iran and dont sing Sourith(Assyrian/chaldean)
There are new singers coming to this country from Iran and the are in Cali BUT the are singing FARSI the want to make it in Iranian market
i e AMO and Raman they make persian song not Assyrian so azizta dont blame us Assyrians for that blame those guys.

OH you forgot Charles tooma he is great and sings only Sourith

No need for the Iran vs Iraq comments guys.

I'm from Iraq, and remember when we brought alot of the Assyrians from Iran for the partys.

The only one who is still in business is Evin. I think that a lot of the singers sis not stand out with much, very good singers, but could not compare to Linda or Juliana. Shameran was a very good singer, Jarmin Tamaraz was good too, but when it comes to assyrian partys we like to dance, and their songs did not contain that, so there for i think that was their downfall

mishtutho said:
Then ask the new singers from Iran why arent they sinign Assyrian ?

Because we don't support them. Did you not grasp that from what you quoted that I stated? They look at other outlets. They know other languages so they use and abuse that because they know that if they switch their fan base from Assyrians to Persians, they can actually make a living. If they stick to Assyrian, whose going to support them? No one, just like no one supported the rest of these singers up top. They had their short run, but everyone turned their backs to them even though they were some of the most oomtanayeh singers we've ever come across.

Show me a new singer coming out from Iran.
Let them come and if they are good we will support them.
But they arent any.
Here are some new singers from Iraq,Syria and Lebanon
-----------------------------------
Talal Garish
Ninos David
Lazar Malko
Nagham
Jowan David (Bulbul)
George Gindo
Ramsin Sheeno
Munadhel Tomika
Salim Sefo
Adonee Odisho
Pascal
Gabi Masso
Ninorta
and many more

Show me ONE from Iran

mishtutho said:
But they arent any.
Talal Garish
Ninos David
Lazar Malko
Nagham
Jowan David (Bulbul)
George Gindo
Ramsin Sheeno
Munadhel Tomika
Salim Sefo
Adonee Odisho
Pascal
Gabi Masso
Ninorta
and many more

Show me ONE from Iran

But there is a problem with a few things you write about with the list you have shown.

I would have to say those singers have a VERY LONG WAY to go before they can even come close to being on the same level as some of our top singers.

Sure there are no new Iranian singers, but it does not matter iran or iraq, we are ALL ASSYRIAN!

There is actually a guy is name is franko or something, my wife and I attended a wedding in turlock, but all he did was sing, songs from other singers. Well come to think of it, the list of singers you wrote about all do the same as well.

Its very sad, its actually extremely sad that this happens in our community.

And the truth is that only one of those singers is still around and successful and thats evin, he is Iranian.

Coming from Australia his partys there have been sold out sometimes 3 nights in a row. My point is its not about iraq or iran, so people should drop it. OUR MILAT makes or breaks the singer, not their background

mishtutho said:
Many young Assyrians singers are coming out of Turkey that we dont hear about.
They sing in Western Assyrian dialect.
New Assyrian singers are coming out from Iran but they dont want to sing Assyrian,

THIS IS THE ISSUE HERE

The ISSUE is that we (as assyrians) don't support them well enough for them to actually make a living off it. They know other languages so they start singing in diffrent languages so that they can make money and provide for themselves and their families.

mishtutho said:
But they arent any.
Talal Garish
Ninos David
Lazar Malko
Nagham
Jowan David (Bulbul)
George Gindo
Ramsin Sheeno
Munadhel Tomika
Salim Sefo
Adonee Odisho
Pascal
Gabi Masso
Ninorta
and many more

Show me ONE from Iran

Support them? Yea, just like you guys supported the singers above. (sarcasm) Look at dakhee shmeetelookhoon singers from Iran. Why would they be stupid enough to fall into that trap again?

Ashuriena said:
Support them? Yea, just like you guys supported the singers above. (sarcasm) Look at dakhee shmeetelookhoon singers from Iran. Why would they be stupid enough to fall into that trap again?

From an individual who has been in the committees, who has hired singers, who has had over 30 years experience, I truly want everyone to realize ONE THING:

We dont have a place to call home, every church and assyrian cluib is at eachothers throat. BUT...
YOU the Assyrian people choose to make or break a singer. YOU pay for the party's. YOU pay for the cds. YOU pay for almost anything out there and we sit and say "NO SUPPORT". There is nothing wrong with people not liking a person such as "bulbul" or "ninos david", and there is nothing wrong with someone liking "sargon" or "evin" or "linda". Just remember its the people who make or break the singers, and of course some of the fans who like a "ninos david" will be upset that there is no support. But really maybe to others he is just no good. end of story.

People this is not a Iran vs. Iraq issue. I am talking about the void we have right now when superstars like the 4 I listed from Iran are gone and no one replaces them.

You need other singers from other regions to bring a different sound and feel to our music. There was no one bigger than Jermain, Shamiram and Charbackchi. They brought amazing tunes with beautiful words. Try to listen to any of thier songs and you will find out.

ACANA said:
People this is not a Iran vs. Iraq issue. I am talking about the void we have right now when superstars like the 4 I listed from Iran are gone and no one replaces them.

You need other singers from other regions to bring a different sound and feel to our music. There was no one bigger than Jermain, Shamiram and Charbackchi. They brought amazing tunes with beautiful words. Try to listen to any of thier songs and you will find out.

Well aziza Acana, I understand it is not a Iraq vs Iran issue. I am from Iraq and really enjoyed the sounds of those singers.

Yet you do realize that Evin is still around out of them right?

I think when you come down to it, it is not an issue of being a void but being good. I truely enjoyed Jermain Tamraz, from her singing to the way her mind works. Mr.Charbakchi is a wonderful singer as well, but i dont think the people responded to them as well as they did evin.

When we were still in Iraq I remember how evin was and is almost looked up to as a god. And to top it off he is from Iran. So believe you me it is not an Iran vs Iraq issue, but more or less the fact people did not take to the singers as well as others

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_wD2Zx9V1s  Her voice is almost as beautiful as hayedehs voice  :bigarmhug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G88Y1fAg-4M  he remind me of Vigen  :)

Back