USA vs. Spain

jonadona said:
Spain just couldn't break them down.

They had difficulty breaking Iraq down too. But USA played a much better attacking game than Iraq.

Spain disappointed me.

Knight said:
They had difficulty breaking Iraq down too. But USA played a much better attacking game than Iraq.

Spain disappointed me.

The US hasn't played this good (and up to their potential) since 7-8 months ago.  We have very good defenders and two very good goalkeepers.  Our attack is really depended on how well Donovan decides to play. 

Luckily, in the last two games, Donavon has played better than he has in a long time.  That's why I still believe they should have beat Italy and gave Brazil a harder time, but these red cards are getting ridiculous.  There was another stupid one in this game too.  There is no way these calls are a straight red card in any league in the world.

WOW, I'm amazed.  That was a great game for the US.  That is some of the gutsiest defense I've seen in a long time.  Onyewu and DeMerit were just throwing themselves all over the pitch blocking shots left and right.  It was a sight to see.

I really thought Spain would win this tournament and they are my favorite team going in to any tournament, but I can't say that I was upset with the result here.  I've always cheered for the US as well and I hope they now win this thing.

The Results in this Touranment are erratic....Does that mean Top teams are not taking it that Seriously?

How can a team get beaten 3-1, then 3-0 and then somehow bounce back to Qualify with a 3-0 win, then destroys the world Champions 2-0??

These sort of games are worst nightmares for Punters....

davidb said:
The Confederations Cup won't tell us a lot since it's not always taken seriously by the bigger nations, but it will give us a slight idea.

Brazil can win the Carling Cup of nations all they want, they still won't win the World Cup.  :)

Senalco said:
How can a team get beaten 3-1, then 3-0 and then somehow bounce back to Qualify with a 3-0 win, then destroys the world Champions 2-0??

The US did not exactly destroy Spain.  The US played a very good defensive game and the shots were 29-9 in favor of Spain.

The US were very shaky prior to their trip to SA.  But they were playing better and better, even after the first two defeats.  The red cards are what really hurt them against Italy and Brazil.

jonadona said:
The US did not exactly destroy Spain.  The US played a very good defensive game and the shots were 29-9 in favor of Spain.

The US were very shaky prior to their trip to SA.  But they were playing better and better, even after the first two defeats.  The red cards are what really hurt them against Italy and Brazil.

These red cards against the US have all been a joke.  What are these refs seeing that I'm not?  Yesterday's against Spain was no different.  I watched that play and replay and could not for the life of me see what warranted a straight red in that challenge.

I still don't see it either.  I think the refs have it in their mind that the US plays a physical match and want to protect the superstars.  Which is why American audiences are turned off by it.

"let them play. let them play"

davidb said:
Brazil can win the Carling Cup of nations all they want, they still won't win the World Cup.  :)

Not According to Trend... You would be breaking a Record not to back Brazil or any other South American Country for next year's world cup.. Here is why.....

Whenever a WC is held outside of Europe, the Cup belongs to South America... Either Brazil or Argentina....

When the WC Returns to Europe, a European country Claims it, and Brazil fails miserably....

if we look at recent History, we will see the following Trend:

1962-Host-Chile-Winner-Brazil
1966-Host- England-Winner-England
1970-Host-Mexico-Winner-Brazil
1974-Host-Germany-Winner-Germany
1978-Host-Argentina-Winner-Argentina
1982-Host-Spain-Winner-Italy
1986-Host-Mexico-Winner-Argentina
1990-Host-Italy-Winner-Germany
1994-Host-USA-Winner-Brazil
1998-Host-France-Winner-France
2002-Host-Korea & Japan-Winner-Brazil
2006-Host-Germany-Winner-Italy
2010-Host-South Africa-Winner-?????? ( The Trend to continue with a south American Winner)

It will Take 50 years of History for this Record to be Broken.....I wouldnt put my money on it....

Where are all the parrots? "Spain, Spain"

Haha.

The only good thing for Spain is that they will now avoid playing Brazil,which could be what they were doing subconsiously.

Bye bye Spain, and thank your God for avoiding Brazil. You would have been a lesson of your life.

ASHOOR

No this time it is true, the parrots have indeed been silenced LOL...

It is amazing how easily Brazil was able to handle the US, and how different it was with Spain vs. the USA haha...

ASHOOR

Back