• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

This Assyrian who was on an old AVN album, is now a big celebrity online!

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
So one of the things I love and enjoy doing is going through old Assyrian Voice photo albums or read through old forum posts here and see what has changed, how things have come a long way etc. It is sort of a time machine if you will.

Today I was on one of our old photo albums that were released around late 2003 (17 years ago) and one picture caught my attention: it is of a young Assyrian in his teens, taking a picture with two American soldiers in Kirkuk, Iraq. This is a few months after Americans had entered Iraq and toppled the Saddam regime.

For a split second, I thought hold on, I know this guy. Then I realized it: it is ‘Steven Nabil’! He is now one of top most followed Iraqi pages/journalists on FB, with 1.5 million followers!!! He is so influential that some of his posts easily cause waves and moves in Iraq given his large following. His platform and activism is known to most Iraqis, both back home and abroad

He now lives in Southern California and actually used to be a member here on Assyrian Voice (don’t recall his nickname)

So he goes from you average kid, living a modest life in Iraq, to now living in the U.S as a very famous and extremely influential celebrity in Iraqi media and politics. But despite his huge celebrity status , he is a very nice person and goes out of his way to let his followers know about Assyrians, our plight etc, though the majority of his topics are about Iraq (mainly politics)

You can see his picture from 17 years ago on this album.

Which begs the question: what changes will you see if you visit these pages in 15-20 years from now, when you compare it to today’s events?

Here is his FB page
F643AD3B-82D9-47D3-8C08-9A106469B12F.jpeg

Last edited:
There is another Assyrian from Australia who was on AVN, could not remmember his name, I think something like CA or CM..... He is now a Politician representing the Northern part of Melbourne where majority of Assyrians live....doing a Senator role.

Ashoor, I have got 1M in my bank account due to hard work in 15 years... does that make me famous? or just rich? 😅😅

Crocodile Bani

There is another Assyrian from Australia who was on AVN, could not remmember his name, I think something like CA or CM..... He is now a Politician representing the Northern part of Melbourne where majority of Assyrians live....doing a Senator role.

Ashoor, I have got 1M in my bank account due to hard work in 15 years... does that make me famous? or just rich? 😅😅
Assyrian senator? This is the first I have heard about this. Great work.

Assyrian senator? This is the first I have heard about this. Great work.
Not a Senator, but more of an MP... I just can't remember his nickname on AVN but here is his photo: Cr Joseph Haweil.

Don't also forget our own Peter Esho... he now makes regular TV appearances for the ABC and other networks, covering news on finance & the Stock market....

Attachments