• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

There exists an "Assyrian race" (Assyroid)

Cascade

New member
There have been two threads on this (one made by Mrzurnaci), but they were filled with off topic arguments so I didn't bother bumping them.

http://humanphenotypes.net/Assyroid.html

It seems like a really widespread "race" (it reaches western India, central Europe and the UK). Which got me thinking because there are few Celtic & German descent actors that look Assyrian. :mrgreen: But, would you say it even exists?
 

mrzurnaci

New member
in terms of race, I'm going to assume this is talking a group of specific phenotypes. In such a case, there's no "Assyrian" race, the Armenoid, Arabid, etc races were created in the 19th-20th century when anthropologists were trying to establish a more scientifically credible idea of race and race classifications.

Older Europe realized the world isn't really black and white (lol) so they tried to set about classifying all possible phenotypes and named them after the people that have those set of phenotypes most commonly.
 

Etain

Member
mrzurnaci said:
in terms of race, I'm going to assume this is talking a group of specific phenotypes. In such a case, there's no "Assyrian" race, the Armenoid, Arabid, etc races were created in the 19th-20th century when anthropologists were trying to establish a more scientifically credible idea of race and race classifications.

Older Europe realized the world isn't really black and white (lol) so they tried to set about classifying all possible phenotypes and named them after the people that have those set of phenotypes most commonly.
Assyroid is really a mix of Arabid and Armenoid,which makes sense.
I think a lot of Iraqis and Syrians are this phenotype.It's a lot more widespread than I expected.It must  mean Assyrians have a great genetic legacy
 

Cascade

New member
mrzurnaci said:
in terms of race, I'm going to assume this is talking a group of specific phenotypes. In such a case, there's no "Assyrian" race, the Armenoid, Arabid, etc races were created in the 19th-20th century when anthropologists were trying to establish a more scientifically credible idea of race and race classifications.

Older Europe realized the world isn't really black and white (lol) so they tried to set about classifying all possible phenotypes and named them after the people that have those set of phenotypes most commonly.
It is more a phenotype, yes.

According to the diagram, you'd find Assyroids outside the Middle East and the Mediterranean - I mean, what the hell is our phenotype doing in India, Eastern Africa and northern Europe? I call BS on that. Oh and top of that, Italy and Greece are not marked in the distribution map. Heck, I've seen more Assyrian looking Italians than Assyrian looking Brits. Lol.

If anything, the Assyroid race should cover the Western Asia (excluding lower Arabia) and some countries of the Mediterranean Sea (maybe excluding Iberia). No South Asia, Northern Europe and Africa.

Etain said:
Assyroid is really a mix of Arabid and Armenoid,which makes sense.
I think a lot of Iraqis and Syrians are this phenotype.It's a lot more widespread than I expected.It must  mean Assyrians have a great genetic legacy
It is.

Syrians and Lebanese though would also be Pontid and Gracile Med. Some Assyrians (especially the commercially attractive ones) may fall within these two types, especially those from Syria.

http://humanphenotypes.net/Pontid.html
http://humanphenotypes.net/GracileMediterranid.html

A few Assyrians do tend to look Iranid:

http://humanphenotypes.net/Iranid.html

Urmians look the most Armenoid (at least those pictured and described here):

http://humanphenotypes.net/basic/Armenoid.html

The Assyrid race is a very prototype and 'primitive' race. Not many Assyrians look it today. We did generally look Assyrid say over a thousands years ago. This is the look that I'd describe as "Assyroid" (they resemble ancient Assyrians and have a mix Arab/Armenian look to them):




 

mrzurnaci

New member
Cascade said:
well there's a good reason why classifying phenotypes under a people doesn't work out in modern science anymore :)
Not to mention, recall our history:
Ancient Assyrians (Old Assyria) - Akkadians and Sumerians
Ancient Assyrians (Middle+Neo Assyria) - Akkadians, Amorites, Hurrians, and Sumerians.
Medieval Assyrians - Neo-Assyrians + Persians with some Greek.
Modern - medieval Assyrians + whoever we marry I guess.
 

Cascade

New member
mrzurnaci said:
well there's a good reason why classifying phenotypes under a people doesn't work out in modern science anymore :)
Not to mention, recall our history:
Ancient Assyrians (Old Assyria) - Akkadians and Sumerians
Ancient Assyrians (Middle+Neo Assyria) - Akkadians, Amorites, Hurrians, and Sumerians.
Medieval Assyrians - Neo-Assyrians + Persians with some Greek.
Modern - medieval Assyrians + whoever we marry I guess.
And that's why modern Assyrians don't look like the ancient ones. We've mixed a bit with Levantines and Meds. If we remained pure, most of us would look like David Simon (the Assyrian singer from Chicago Lol).

Classifying people based on their phenotype is not misleading or fallacious. There is truth to it - I mean, why do most Med people look Med? Why do Nordics look Nordic? Etc and etc. Come on, you hate liberals and now you're sounding like them.
 

mrzurnaci

New member
Cascade said:
And that's why modern Assyrians don't look like the ancient ones. We've mixed a bit with Levantines and Meds. If we remained pure, most of us would look like David Simon (the Assyrian singer from Chicago Lol).

Classifying people based on their phenotype is not misleading or fallacious. There is truth to it - I mean, why do most Med people look Med? Why do Nordics look Nordic? Etc and etc. Come on, you hate liberals and now you're sounding like them.
Meds look like Meds and Nordics look Nordic because population genetics, and different populations closest to others will see mixing.

The best way I see population genes is through a Venn diagram if that makes sense.
 

ProudArab

New member
The self-proclaimed ''assyrians'' of modern era have LITTLE TO NOTHING to do with ancient Assyrians.

The self-proclaimed ''assyrians'' of today are a bastardized insignificant people, suckers of Jewish and Europeans d!cks, who happen to be under a severe identity complex, they're the result of f0ckfests and orgies of several different ethnicities (including the Arabs they despise so much) in the arid mountain caves of northern Iraq... nothing but a primitive, hateful, nomadic people used to lie about ''oppression'' and ''persecution'' despite Arab nationalists like Bashar and Saddam giving everything to these parasites...

In short, the self-proclaimed ''assyrians'' of today are NO MORE, NO LESS connected to ancient Assyrians than your common Arab Iraqi and Syrian folk. What the British made you believe you are is irrelevant here.
 

Crocodile Bani

Active member
ProudArab said:
The self-proclaimed ''assyrians'' of modern era have LITTLE TO NOTHING to do with ancient Assyrians.

The self-proclaimed ''assyrians'' of today are a bastardized insignificant people, suckers of Jewish and Europeans d!cks, who happen to be under a severe identity complex, they're the result of f0ckfests and orgies of several different ethnicities (including the Arabs they despise so much) in the arid mountain caves of northern Iraq... nothing but a primitive, hateful, nomadic people used to lie about ''oppression'' and ''persecution'' despite Arab nationalists like Bashar and Saddam giving everything to these parasites...

In short, the self-proclaimed ''assyrians'' of today are NO MORE, NO LESS connected to ancient Assyrians than your common Arab Iraqi and Syrian folk. What the British made you believe you are is irrelevant here.
Bibi,

Go get stuffed!  You are the parasite.  Get a life while you are at it.
 
ProudArab said:
The self-proclaimed ''assyrians'' of modern era have LITTLE TO NOTHING to do with ancient Assyrians.

The self-proclaimed ''assyrians'' of today are a bastardized insignificant people, suckers of Jewish and Europeans d!cks, who happen to be under a severe identity complex, they're the result of f0ckfests and orgies of several different ethnicities (including the Arabs they despise so much) in the arid mountain caves of northern Iraq... nothing but a primitive, hateful, nomadic people used to lie about ''oppression'' and ''persecution'' despite Arab nationalists like Bashar and Saddam giving everything to these parasites...

In short, the self-proclaimed ''assyrians'' of today are NO MORE, NO LESS connected to ancient Assyrians than your common Arab Iraqi and Syrian folk. What the British made you believe you are is irrelevant here.
Evidence?
 

Cascade

New member
mrzurnaci said:
Meds look like Meds and Nordics look Nordic because population genetics, and different populations closest to others will see mixing.

The best way I see population genes is through a Venn diagram if that makes sense.
I agree with that as well.

Race is pretty much gradient anyway. Just like climate zones and vegetation. But that doesn't mean you can't classify them.
 
Top