The Demonstration in Brussels

Hanuni

The demonstration in Brussels in the heart of Europe is on. It has been raining but thousands and thousands have shown up. Around 20-40 different organisations have united regardless of denomination. Most of the participants are Jacobites, but there is also a fair share of Nestorians, Chaldeans and even Maronites. There are almost only Assyrian and Aramean flags, I believe I saw 1 or 2 Iraqi flags, 1 Albanian flag, 1 Armenian flag and some Lebanese Forces flags. I believe they are no less than 6000 and I just got off watching the Bishop of the Syriac Orthodox Church, Mor Hazael Sawme whose speech got one to teers.

The Bishop talked about how the Patriarchs do not care about the people but delayed their condolences and do not act. He spoke about how 90% of the priests merely do what they have to do for money. In his speech he also mentioned that the time for unity has come, that Assyrians of today need to have more children as our enemies are outbreeding us very fast. He commented on the crowds messages of "A Sohde Lik Meythi - the Martyrs do not die" that they do truly not die.

Iam proud of our people to react and take actions like these:) We have done in Sweden as well, but itwasnt so succefull...

The spokesman now stated there were 8000 people attending even though the bad weather. Many others who could not come payed bustickets even though they stayed at home.

I got no videos yet but they will come out soon I think.

There was also a representative from the Belgian government speaking.

Where was your demonstration, the one in J?nk?ping? It was not really organised. There will be a much bigger and organised one tomorrow in Stockholm.

Another spokesman talked about how Assyrians must carry guns in order to defend themselves and survive in the Middle East, that a second genocide has come.

Hanuni said:
The Bishop talked about how the Patriarchs do not care about the people but delayed their condolences and do not act. He spoke about how 90% of the priests merely do what they have to do for money. In his speech he also mentioned that the time for unity has come, that Assyrians of today need to have more children as our enemies are outbreeding us very fast. He commented on the crowds messages of "A Sohde Lik Meythi - the Martyrs do not die" that they do truly not die.

BRAVO!! :clap:

No priests showed up to the protest in Modesto, and I think only one showed up to the one in Chicago.  Not sure about the other cities. 

Israel would not have been in existence if they listened to the ultra religious in their community, who believe that the formation of Israel should only come with the return of the Messiah.  Kurds only got to where they are today in Iraq because they put their nationalism ahead of their religion.  Until we finally grasp and embrace this same concept, we won't get anywhere either.

That is amazing. The more the better. Please post pictures when you have them.

I am noticing something: almost every city with at least a few hundreds of our people living in, there is a protest or rally going on. It is becoming like something which if you don't do, you feel embarrassed as community and betraying your nation. This is how it should be with a lot of other things.

ASHOOR

Hanuni said:
The demonstration in Brussels in the heart of Europe is on. It has been raining but thousands and thousands have shown up. Around 20-40 different organisations have united regardless of denomination. Most of the participants are Jacobites, but there is also a fair share of Nestorians, Chaldeans and even Maronites. There are almost only Assyrian and Aramean flags, I believe I saw 1 or 2 Iraqi flags, 1 Albanian flag, 1 Armenian flag and some Lebanese Forces flags. I believe they are no less than 6000 and I just got off watching the Bishop of the Syriac Orthodox Church, Mor Hazael Sawme whose speech got one to teers.

Fantastic job! Pictures please.

Great Job!!! the Brussels protest made it in the news here in Canada!!! everyone there needs to pad themselves on the back!

photozalga%2BCamera_893.jpg

photozalga%2BCamera_1068.jpg

photozalga%2BCamera_966.jpg

_729.jpg

photozalga%2BCamera_776.jpg

The pictures are big so if you want to see them good open them up in another site. Below is a statement from the organizers.

"On 19th April 2008, more than 5000 Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrians from many European  countries organized a march and a meeting in Brussels. The aim of the meeting was to draw the attention of the USA, the European Union and the UN to the ongoing terror, violence and especially the killings of the clerics of the Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrian Christians in Iraq.

Following the collapse of Saddams dictatorship regime, a systematic operation of ethnic cleansing against the Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrians has begun. As a result of the persecution and acts of terror, between 2004 and 2008, one half of the population of the Chaldean-Syriac- Assyrians was forced to flee outside Iraq. The attacks are mainly targeting the churches, the clerics, the businesses and the young girls of the Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrian people. The aim of these attacks carried out against the Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrians is to drive out from Iraq those who belong to the Christian faith and create a purely Islamic state of Iraq.

Accordingly, the acts of terror committed against the Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrians are
becoming more and more brutal. The terrorist groups, in order to accelerate the campaign of ethnic cleansing against the Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrians, have targeted their churches and their church representatives. As a result of these attacks, more than 40 churches have been attacked with explosive charges and many church leaders have been killed. Some of the murdered church leaders are: Archbishop Boulus Faraj Rahho, Priests Rev. Father Paulus Skander and Rev. Father Ragheed Ganni murdered in Mosul and Rev. Father Youssef Adel Aboudi murdered in Baghdad. Moreover, hundreds of innocent Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrians civilians have been killed during the last four years.

With these atrocities carried out against the Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrians a new wave of ethnic cleansing is going on in Iraq. If these atrocities continue the Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrians and the Christianity will be soon wiped out from Iraq altogether. And this will become a new tragedy for humanity. For the continuity of their existence and living in their homeland, the Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrians who are the indigenous representatives of the Mesopotamian Culture, also known as the Cradle of Civilization urgently need a protection by the International community. Accordingly, the below mentioned organizations of the Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrians are kindly requesting from the USA, the EU and the UN to meet their following demands:

1- The recognition of the Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrians as indigenous people of Iraq underthe Iraqi Constitution
2- The acceptance of an Autonomous Safe Zone in North Iraq in the areas where the
Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrians have a majority of the population
3- An official recognition of the Autonomous Status of this region to be requested from both the Iraqi Government and the Kurdish Regional Government (KRG)
4- The security of the Autonomous region to be left to the responsibility of the UN and the international powers.
5- An international plan to be made for the re-settlement of the Chaldean-Syriac-
Assyrians in the Autonomous region

The European Syriac Union (ESU)
The Syriac Orthodox Archdiocese of Germany
The Syriac Federation of Germany
The Assyrian Democratic Organization (ADO)
Platform Aram (The Netherlands)
Assyrian-Chaldean-Syriac Institute (France)
The Chaldean Association Ishtar
(Belgium)
The Syriac Council of Switzerland
"

Back