• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Supporting Iraq and why it's wrong.

Straw King

mrzurnaci said:
Why else did they put the SUNNI MINORITY into government against everybody else? Since Iraq was created, the majority of the country was the Shi'a...
Because the Sunnis would be more loyal to the Brits?

elevated

Straw King said:
Oh there was. Many Assyrians also waved the Iraqi flags (most were chaldean)

Not surprised. Hopefully less than a quarter of them? :( Wavering loyalty is such a problem.

Straw King

elevated said:
Not surprised. Hopefully less than a quarter of them? :( Wavering loyalty is such a problem.
Well before the celebration , during the games ALL of them were waving Iraqi flags, and some brought in Assyrian flags (they were told to put them away or else they will get a fine) but they sneaked them in anyway.

It's a shame what assimilation can make you do. Support a country that killed your own people.

Rumtaya

If you support something that in reality never has acknowlegded you, your identity and your rights, then you truly have failed to get a clear understanding and the importance of being anything but positive sided with it.

It might be just a Team, but that Team is conacted to a ideology, language, culture.
Therefore just tell me, do the Boarders of that country match your homeland? Does the language match yours? Does the Flag represent you?

For Assyrians in general its important to not trap into this: Its just a sports team. If Assyrians from other occupied areas support their occupiers (state, culture, religion, flag ...all different that what we are) we will never be able to have our own cause... Our people in the differebt occupied areay of assyria will never be taken seriousky by the int. Communities.... Its very simple either you are 100% Assyrian or not.

Any % you give away (for example supporting your occupier) will put you in a different spot not worth being support and taken seriuosly by the int. Communities. Just take for that mstter the kurds as an example. Iraq kniws clearly that they do not feel raqi... Look where it got them...on the way to independence....

So therefore it might sound anything but harmful supporting a sports Team, in reality it makes you not able to struggle for your cause since you arw wmotionally tied to the occupier...

Cascade

I agree. I can't understand the love for Iraqi's team and their flag (the latter part is what irks me!). I don't like how some Assyrians hold their flag all the time. Iraqis never cared about us! Why should we care about them? Such a shame...

My dad dies for Iraqi soccer, as do my sister's in-laws. I don't get it. Granted, if Iraq were versing Iran or Saudi Arabia I'd go for them. Besides that, I really couldn't care less.

I'm not that extreme on this spectrum. Support the Iraq team if you want (not extremely though), but ditch their flag I say.

Oh, with that being said, I'm happy that Australia won the AFC. Assyrians have gotten more recognition by Australia than Iraq ever did in its history.

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
privatebenjamin said:
I agree. I can't understand the love for Iraqi's team and their flag (the latter part is what irks me!). I don't like how some Assyrians hold their flag all the time. Iraqis never cared about us! Why should we care about them? Such a shame...

My dad dies for Iraqi soccer, as do my sister's in-laws. I don't get it. Granted, if Iraq were versing Iran or Saudi Arabia I'd go for them. Besides that, I really couldn't care less.

I'm not that extreme on this spectrum. Support the Iraq team if you want (not extremely though), but ditch their flag I say.

Oh, with that being said, I'm happy that Australia won the AFC. Assyrians have gotten more recognition by Australia than Iraq ever did in its history.

Some good points there regarding the flag. I am one who has supported the Iraqi team since I was like 7 years old. But I would never carry the Iraqi flag. I just wouldn't go that far. To support the team is different from supporting the country or the government etc.

It is something you grew up with and can't just quit on...well except when they suck badly! :mfr_lol:

ASHOOR

elevated

Rumtaya said:
If you support something that in reality never has acknowlegded you, your identity and your rights, then you truly have failed to get a clear understanding and the importance of being anything but positive sided with it.

It might be just a Team, but that Team is conacted to a ideology, language, culture.
Therefore just tell me, do the Boarders of that country match your homeland? Does the language match yours? Does the Flag represent you?

For Assyrians in general its important to not trap into this: Its just a sports team. If Assyrians from other occupied areas support their occupiers (state, culture, religion, flag ...all different that what we are) we will never be able to have our own cause... Our people in the differebt occupied areay of assyria will never be taken seriousky by the int. Communities.... Its very simple either you are 100% Assyrian or not.

Any % you give away (for example supporting your occupier) will put you in a different spot not worth being support and taken seriuosly by the int. Communities. Just take for that mstter the kurds as an example. Iraq kniws clearly that they do not feel raqi... Look where it got them...on the way to independence....

So therefore it might sound anything but harmful supporting a sports Team, in reality it makes you not able to struggle for your cause since you arw wmotionally tied to the occupier...

Well said.

mrzurnaci

my dad remembers when Iraq has the Star of Ishtar in it before they changed it to Asamahu Akhar (allahu ackderp)

elevated

mrzurnaci said:
my dad remembers when Iraq has the Star of Ishtar in it before they changed it to Asamahu Akhar (allahu ackderp)

They probably only had it to assure the British(like they really cared) that they wouldn't attack us.

mrzurnaci

elevated said:
They probably only had it to assure the British(like they really cared) that they wouldn't attack us.
Probably, just another PR stunt that actually fooled us...

Cascade

ASHOOR said:
I am not going to base my opinion of the team, and whether I like it or not, on the opinion of some religious savages and terrorist, who ironically enough, don't even recognize something called Iraq. To them all it matters is Islam. Iraq means nothing. The religion comes first. When they kick and kill our people (and their own) they are not doing it in the name of the country. They don't even love Iraq. They are doing it in the name of Islam. Be aware of this distinction. I am more than happy to do something that pisses off the terrorists.
This. Just this. Sorry for the bump (it isn't even 2 years old), but honestly, this helped my case with Bani.

Bani is a hypocrite. He says he doesn't associate Zionism with Jews, and tries to make a "distinction" between them (as if), and yet he ignorantly thinks if you support Iraq (a country with a Muslim majority), you're supporting Islam. I can might as well say that if he is against Israel, he is an anti-Semite. But oh wait, I'm putting words in his mouth.

What a transparent, inconsistent person. He's putting words in your mouth too.

Iraq isn't even fundamentally Islamic like Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan anyway. I would support the lesser radicalized Muslim countries like Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and even Turkey if I lived there.

nejepnerast

Being a citizin of a country like iraq is meaningless because you have zero rights in the country or outside the country . Did anyone try to go to iraqi embassy ? they treat you like crap and ask you all sort of irrelevant question like your tribe or sect and most of the time they will not even open the door for you if you do not know someone inside  . take care of #1 and be successful and i promise every country in the world would want you to be their citizin .

ins001

ASHOOR said:
-When I know ISIS has killed 13 Iraqi teens for watching the Iraqi team play on TV, then I know I am supporting the right team.

-When I know that terrorists have killed hundreds of Iraqis who were out to cheer and celebrate the Iraqi team in public squares, I know I am supporting the right team.

Logical fallacy over level 9000

Qi?ta

TerrenceMalick said:
I agree. Although some may take offence to this, but I don't and never have identified as Iraqi. I'm not. I was born in Australia to Assyrian Christian immigrants from Iraq. I'm not of Iraqi descent, nor are my parents, nor were my grandparents. I am of Assyrian descent. And for the love of God, I am not Arab.

I've never supported the Iraqi team and never will. I support my country, Australia.
There we go. That's the summary of this thread.
Diaspora identifies with their countries of origin and I don't see anything bad with that.

It would be a dream to have our own state, but that's not happening. Not in this universe's middle east. I'm Iraqi Ashuraya and I'd be damned if we had to bend our knee to the kurds to achieve autonomy.

So yes, I rather support Iraq in its moribund state. And no, I don't appreciate foreigners bashing on my country.
I rather it stays united, at least centre and north. Iraq encompasses the entirety of bet nahrain.

KingA

Qi?ta said:
There we go. That's the summary of this thread.
Diaspora identifies with their countries of origin and I don't see anything bad with that.

It would be a dream to have our own state, but that's not happening. Not in this universe's middle east. I'm Iraqi Ashuraya and I'd be damned if we had to bend our knee to the kurds to achieve autonomy.

So yes, I rather support Iraq in its moribund state. And no, I don't appreciate foreigners bashing on my country.
I rather it stays united, at least centre and north. Iraq encompasses the entirety of bet nahrain.

If we get an autonomy in Kurdistan will be better than an Iraq without any status to us. Of cours an independet Assyrian will be the best one, but it is not realistic to happen in near future.