• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Some questions that need answers

shekwanta

Wow. This topic is like super old.
But now that I think about it.. Is there no chance, that "hon" is actually a mixture of "holi" and "iwin" .. or in some dialects a mixture of "dooli" and "iwin", which then will be used as "doon".
I mean it's just an idea u know.

Cascade

shekwanta said:
Wow. This topic is like super old.
But now that I think about it.. Is there no chance, that "hon" is actually a mixture of "holi" and "iwin" .. or in some dialects a mixture of "dooli" and "iwin", which then will be used as "doon".
I mean it's just an idea u know.
Good observation. Maybe it's a contraction of these words.

shekwanta

Cascade said:
Good observation. Maybe it's a contraction of these words.
Thanks, Cascade. Yeah la? I mean if we think about it even more, we already have the form "doonwa" which sounds like a mixture of the words "dooli" and "inwa" (past tense of "iwin").. Same goes then for "honwa" (holi + inwa)

E.g. --> "doonwa/honwa wada awa mindi"

Cascade

shekwanta said:
Thanks, Cascade. Yeah la? I mean if we think about it even more, we already have the form "doonwa" which sounds like a mixture of the words "dooli" and "inwa" (past tense of "iwin").. Same goes then for "honwa" (holi + inwa)

E.g. --> "doonwa/honwa wada awa mindi"
I noticed that Assyrian has contractions like English does - Do not: Don't. Going to: Gonna, etc...

Other examples:

Kh'zee - Zee
B'azen - Azen
Beti ileh Sura - Betileh Sura
Moodit wada - Mod wada
Tama Ila - Tamela

Etc...

shekwanta

Cascade said:
I noticed that Assyrian has contractions like English does - Do not: Don't. Going to: Gonna, etc...

Other examples:

Kh'zee - Zee
B'azen - Azen
Beti ileh Sura - Betileh Sura
Moodit wada - Mod wada
Tama Ila - Tamela

Etc...
yeah yeah, sure. And the list goes on! We got plenty of those.

Although I must say.. considering "beti ileh soora" and "betileh soora" --> I must say that they might have a small difference in meaning (but maybe it's just me seeing it this way). I feel as if they mean something like:
beti ileh soora  -->  my house is small
betileh soora    -->  it is my house that is small

Hope that makes any/some sense..

Cascade

shekwanta said:
Although I must say.. considering "beti ileh soora" and "betileh soora" --> I must say that they might have a small difference in meaning (but maybe it's just me seeing it this way). I feel as if they mean something like:
beti ileh soora  -->  my house is small
betileh soora    -->  it is my house that is small

Hope that makes any/some sense..
Yeah, that's true. I noticed that too. ;)