"Smart Girls Marry Money" by Elizabeth Ford and Daniela Drake

Rita Lazar

I've always been against this concept, but I'm also against marrying for love alone, and the authors do make some good points.

"Smart Girls Marry Money: How Women Have Been Duped Into the Romantic Dream--And How They're Paying For It"

Product description from Amazon:
Why does society applaud a girl who falls for a guy?s ?big blue eyes? yet denounces one who chooses a man with a ?big green bankroll?? After all, isn?t earning power more a reflection of a man?s values and character? Smart Girls Marry Money challenges the ideals and assumptions women have blindly accepted about love and marriage?and shows how they?ve done so at their own economic peril. In this brazen manifesto, authors Elizabeth Ford and Daniela Drake use cold hard facts, real science, and true stories to present a compelling case for why mercenary marriages make the most sense for future happiness.
Smart Girls taps into a growing, collective suspicion that the post-feminist world isn?t all it?s cracked up to be. Female ?empowerment? has women working hard to look sexier than ever, while carrying more than their fair share financially. Yet sadly, statistics prove that: not only do women continue to earn far less than their male counterparts, they also suffer far more economically when marriages fail. Ford and Drake think it?s high time that women get their heads out of the clouds and start caring about their own security?the kind that can be measured in dollars and common sense. With an irreverent, straight-talk tone, the authors serve up a sound case and intriguing strategy for how women can truly ?have it all.? Sure to spark conversation and controversy, Smart Girls Marry Money will ultimately empower women with a new way to take control of both their economic and romantic lives.

Justifying marrying for money on the basis that women earn less is quite defeatist.  Rather than demand that women should receive equal pay for equal work (something early feminists, who these women now denounce, laid the ground work for) these women just throw their hands in the air and think marrying for money is the answer. 

I don't know who is credited with saying that it's just as easy to fall in love with a rich man as it is for a poor one.  Granted.  However, I balk at the shallow tone of these authors that there could just be one factor in falling for someone.  I think there are multiple factors involved in loving someone, not just their "blue eyes" or "fat wallet."  If you're only looking for one thing rather than the big picture, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

There are also other points the authors make but you're right, suggesting to go from one unrealistic extreme to another isn't going to solve anything.  In the description, it also says "After all, isn?t earning power more a reflection of a man?s values and character?" which isn't true at all. A lot of wealthy people come into their money through immoral means and questionable values.

These authors were smart in writing the book this way though, because making something like marriage look like such a black and white thing will probably get more people to buy it.  And the title and the insinuation of the book is shocking because it's so anti-feminist. 

I'm all for women being financially independent and marrying a man for the combined reasons of love and "logic" (all the other reasons you think you would be good together other than the emotional/romantic aspect, like if your personalities, interests, beliefs etc are similar).

If anyone believes it's 'smart' for women to marry for money, then they can't open their mouth and say a word about equality. 

peachy said:
Kmen khashem waiting all this time for love
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

We all know money is important but love is more important, cause if there is money and there is no love, you will never be happy in your life, but with love you can make money by helping each other and work hard to have a better life together.

Smart girls make money and marry Jeffersons.

Better. That way you get a top-of-the-line boy toy. :lol:

Back