• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Should parents have the right to impose their religion on their children?

Nahroyo

Let's take it from a different angle, is it right to impose our language on our children? Is it wrong to impose assyrian nationalism on our children? What if some of us here have children who are born and raised in north america and want nothing to do with their parent's language or culture?

Its not wrong, parents have the right to teach their children what ever they want, eventually children will reach an age where they can question what they are taught, if they like it then they stick to it, if they don't then they leave, simple as that.

Why do you think Amish people have rumspringa?    :lol:

iraqicamel

Not everybody agrees with how Amish people live their lives. I think it's terrible that they're going to live their lives completely ignoring modern technology and way of life. Kind of reminds me of another group of people that we are geographically associated with.

I also don't believe in teaching anybody nationalism either - it will be more pure if they find out for themselves.

shekwanta

I THINK that parents should press on their children to teach them about the religion stuff!..the child might not like it at first, but in the end he or she is just a child!!!! they dont know whats important, they cant make their own mind ,,what do they want! what dont they want!
but if a parent leaves his son and doesnt teach him about these things, that can effect on the child when he grows up....religion is a part of our life! infact it IS our life!.....but a child doesnt know that, so the parent should teach him!  :angelnot:

Cascade

I won't teach my children (if I have any) about religion.

They'll learn it themselves and choose the religion they want.

Bronit Omta

I would baptize my child and then raise them a Christian, take them to church every now and then and once they're old enough to make a clear educated choice (around their teens) they can decide whether or not they want to be religious.

Cascade

Bronit Omta said:
I would baptize my child and then raise them a Christian, take them to church every now and then and once they're old enough to make a clear educated choice (around their teens) they can decide whether or not they want to be religious.
Very reasonable. I wish every Assyrian parent would do this.