Shlama :)

Waliti

Shlama,

I am new here, so I just want to say hi :)

I would really like to learn Assyrian. Can someone teach me some useful words? Or, I suppose that there maybe already exists a thread about the basics, but I haven't navigated myself yet :p

Basima raba

Welcome  :bigarmhug: :wavetowel:

Check the assyrian language center, if I find some useful threads I will post them here or PM you :)

Waliti said:
Shlama,

I am new here, so I just want to say hi :)

I would really like to learn Assyrian. Can someone teach me some useful words? Or, I suppose that there maybe already exists a thread about the basics, but I haven't navigated myself yet :p

Basima raba

Here's some useful words - Tawdi is the fastest way to say "thank you" instead of "basima raba"

mrzurnaci said:
Here's some useful words - Tawdi is the fastest way to say "thank you" instead of "basima raba"

I am western Assyrian so I use and know of that word, but now I am trying to learn the eastern dialect.  :)

Waliti said:
I am western Assyrian so I use and know of that word, but now I am trying to learn the eastern dialect.  :)

The Eastern dialects have infusions of Kurdish, Turkish, Persian, and Arabic words. You're better off just modifying the Western dialects by replacing the Zqafa sound from "O" to "AAH", that's basically the difference between Western and Eastern, just one vowel sound difference and few consonants.

If you still want to learn the eastern dialects, feel free. :)

Also, have you checked out my Syriac alphabet chart? It covers all styles of Syriac east and west! - http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=44298.0

mrzurnaci said:
The Eastern dialects have infusions of Kurdish, Turkish, Persian, and Arabic words. You're better off just modifying the Western dialects by replacing the Zqafa sound from "O" to "AAH", that's basically the difference between Western and Eastern, just one vowel sound difference and few consonants.

Colloquial western dialect also has a lot of regional influences, and even though some words can be changed from o to a, it is not enough for proper conversations with eastern speakers.

Good job Zurnaci encouraging new members to learn the other dialect of our language.

mrzurnaci said:

Also, have you checked out my Syriac alphabet chart? It covers all styles of Syriac east and west! - http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=44298.0

Then from what language does "basima raba" originally come from? The difference between suryoyo and suret is not just a/o, h/kh and p/f.

Assyrian_Man said:
Colloquial western dialect also has a lot of regional influences, and even though some words can be changed from o to a, it is not enough for proper conversations with eastern speakers.

Good job Zurnaci encouraging new members to learn the other dialect of our language.
Dialects are dialects khon, but our language is still one! Compare it to Kurdish which has many dialects but some dialects like Kurmanji and Sorani cannot understand each other very well or well enough like we can, so let's be lucky our dialects didn't deteriorate to that level.

thomator said:
Then from what language does "basima raba" originally come from? The difference between suryoyo and suret is not just a/o, h/kh and p/f.
That's because Suryoyo is probably the closest to Classic Syriac, the WRONG things in Suryoyo is changing Zqapha from 'AAH' to 'O' when that's the purpose of Waw while Kheth IS HHeth as pronounced correctly in Western dialect, but Peh isn't supposed to be permanently Feh, for example FulHoyo, correctly it's PulHaya.

Both dialects have it wrong compared to Medieval Syriac. From what I read, our modern dialects formed in the 1500-1600s.

mrzurnaci said:
Dialects are dialects khon, but our language is still one! Compare it to Kurdish which has many dialects but some dialects like Kurmanji and Sorani cannot understand each other very well or well enough like we can, so let's be lucky our dialects didn't deteriorate to that level.

I completely agree with this. But it's quite hard to conversate across the dialects, both have to be very skilled in his own dialect, or the conversation has to be simple and slow.

It would be nice if there would be some international institution for our language, trying to settle some common ground, trying to make every new word (or old borrowed words that are different for the dialects) same or similar.

Assyrian_Man said:
I completely agree with this. But it's quite hard to conversate across the dialects, both have to be very skilled in his own dialect, or the conversation has to be simple and slow.

It would be nice if there would be some international institution for our language, trying to settle some common ground, trying to make every new word (or old borrowed words that are different for the dialects) same or similar.

Making words in Syriac isn't very hard, the only hard part is getting everybody to use them...

There are MANY Syriac words most modern Assyrians do not use, for example - "Hevee" means pickaxe and not hope as hope is "Sabrah". Syriac stopped a bit in it's tracks during the Medieval ages, all we simply gotta do is start getting it rolling again.

I'm pretty sure Assyrians would've already gotten a Syriac language institute had Sefyo/Seyfa not kill off the majority of our intellectuals but I see no blockade saying we can't have an institution now.

EDIT: We already have a syriac language institute and it's called Beth Mardutho as they created the Estrangela Edessa font.

mrzurnaci said:

So you're telling the ''AAH'' is the original and the ''O'' is some kind of rip off? even when they read it in classic syriac?

Asshur said:
So you're telling the ''AAH'' is the original and the ''O'' is some kind of rip off? even when they read it in classic syriac?

Where did I say rip off? It's not a rip-off, it's incorrect.

mrzurnaci said:
Where did I say rip off? It's not a rip-off, it's incorrect.
As far as I am concerned O sounds more like the original or alteast the older version since it's really close related to Akkadian, for an instance akkadians says bishu while tho ''O'' dialect says Bisho

Asshur said:
As far as I am concerned O sounds more like the original or alteast the older version since it's really close related to Akkadian, for an instance akkadians says bishu while tho ''O'' dialect says Bisho

Then shouldn't the Western dialect be the Eastern then? Akkadian was mostly spoken in Eastern Mesopotamia itself....

Classical Syriac has AAH, AHH, EH, IH, OO, and OHH, so why is AHH replaced with OHH? and normal OHH is unchanged?

Back