Semifinal: Germany vs. Spain

Paul the Octopus was right again! lool :lol:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Discoveries/2010/0707/Germany-hopes-Paul-the-Octopus-is-wrong

0707-paul-the-octopus.jpg_full_600.jpg

Great job Paul!  :yourock:

ASHOOR

the_dave said:
damn octopus and damn puyols head...

When he scored, I told my coworkers: "he was chosen as one of the ugliest players, but that header sure was a thing of beauty" lol

ASHOOR

And I told you guys not to underestimate Spain. In fact, Spain completely dominated them. Is this really the same German team we saw? was it simply because they didn't score early and couldn't dominate? or did they really miss Muller?

And looks like Ballack wasn't as bad luck as we thought (his absense didn't win them the cup)

ASHOOR

On paper and on the field, Spain should win the World Cup. But given Pele's curse and the fact no team has ever won the world cup after losing their opening game, this is looking good for the Dutch.

But I will leave it to Paul to make the right prediction.

By the way, speaking of the octopus, now that he has predicted and got it right for Germany to lose, they should punish him by eating him! haha

ASHOOR

I can't wait to get home and watch the game on my DVR!  I can't believe Spain pulled it off.  I'm so glad they won, but Germany had great strategic plays and were very organized.  This is going to be an exciting final  :wavetowel:

I started off in the beginning wanting Spain to go all the way, but the orange Assyrians have won me over  :lol:  I'll be rooting for the Dutch for their sake, but won't be completely disappointed if Spain beats the curse and finally wins. 

Baklawa, they both have a curse: no one has won it yet. One of them will finally break the curse.

But I think it is a bigger one for Spain since they had never ever reached the semi-final.

ASHOOR

Spain coach had it perfect. Guess it was impossible to get it wrong after seeing them against England & Argentina..

ASHOOR said:
Baklawa, they both have a curse: no one has won it yet. One of them will finally break the curse.

But I think it is a bigger one for Spain since they had never ever reached the semi-final.

ASHOOR

Yeah, I know neither team has ever won the WC, but I was referring specifically to the team that loses the first game not going all the way.  If Spain wins, they will actually have beaten two curses  :clap:

ASHOOR said:
When he scored, I told my coworkers: "he was chosen as one of the ugliest players, but that header sure was a thing of beauty" lol

ASHOOR
haha strange octpopus

to be honest puyol is the only player except for casillias that i like... he is good and for a shorty very good in the air... Also he is a fighter and looks like mel gibson in braveheart :D

germany played so strange and even if spain did win and scored this single goal, they should have done more to show that they are a better team than germany... spain did not play THAT much better then garmany even if germany did not do what they usually do... puyol just was in in the right place at the right time and that made germany lose, and i guesss that is enough even if it was a game with not enough goals as i had hoped for....

But let us say that puyol was not so close to that ball... i think that germany would have won if the game was extended...

davidb said:
Spain coach had it perfect. Guess it was impossible to get it wrong after seeing them against England & Argentina..

Exactly.

I am not implying that Germany wasn't good. But like I said before, they got a couple of lucky breaks early on against Argentina and England. And they took advantage of them, and had these big scores.

ASHOOR

NO ! they were not lucky against england and Argentina. both were just bad or overrated. anyway

I'm really proud of that german team. young and true fighters. i see them as winners, since i never expected them to be that good.

and conratulations to spain. they deserved to win.

Great match!

I saw the first half and just by the way both teams were playing in the first 10-15 minutes I knew one goal would be the deciding factor.  I was watching the second half ticker and man it seemed like Spain was really attacking which I would've loved to see!  I think that Germany relied too heavily on their counter attack, which was not all there due to Mueller's absence today.  Spain, although smaller, seemed to be more athletic and caught up to the Germans at every step...attacking at will.  The goal was from a set-piece (corner) which I'm sure no one expected, which makes it all the more special...and 3 corners back to back towards the end really killed it for the German squad.

Well, from my perspective now it's my #1 team (Holland) vs. my #2 team (Spain).  I guess I can sure pick them eh guys!  lool :p  I'm torn but I will have to root Oranje all the way.  It should be a great final for the ages though!

That game is my game of the tournament.  Great action, no diving, no play acting, absolutely solid refereeing.  Spain absolutely dominated this game, I had no doubt that would happen.

Viva Espa?a! Stomp those diving Dutch.

I'm still in awe of the way Pique and Puyol played today.  They cleared every cross and every attempted through ball that came near them.  And the midfield almost never gave up the ball and were super fast in retrieving possession when they did lose it.  It easily could've been 3 or 4-0 if Xabi Alonso had his shooting boots on, Puyol hadn't blown his chance in the 1st half, and Pedro had passed to Torres on that break.

Spain is the cleanest team in the tournament and still my pick and favorite.

You are absolutely right Jacob.....I only saw one dive in the whole 90 mins.....it was Iniesta :p ... qashmar!

I think most of us Forgot that Spain were the European champions, and prior to this event, they were the number one team in the world...

The problem is, Spain has not been on fire at all during this World cup. At times, they were boring, slow and playing unattractive football, yet they just did the job...

They did lose their opening game as well.

The Final will be difficult to predict. It can go either way........Will Torres Finally break the Duck and Score?

Knight said:
You are absolutely right Jacob.....I only saw one dive in the whole 90 mins.....it was Iniesta :p ... qashmar!

I'd throw Ozil's drop in the box in with that. It wasn't a major dive, but he went down easy without being fouled.  The ref was having none of it though. This guy is ref of the tourney so far. Great job.

jacob said:
I'd throw Ozil's drop in the box in with that. It wasn't a major dive, but he went down easy without being fouled.  The ref was having none of it though. This guy is ref of the tourney so far. Great job.

Yeah....spot on! Good Reffing and the work ethic of the players helped!

Going on with that...this would have been a great final...not a semi-final....off course, with Mueller in.

Spain played brilliant. But not that effective. They could have score so much more goals. I was enjoying the way Spain played, damn that was good. We will get a hard time beating Spain ( if we beat them ).

Back