Round of 16: Ghana vs. United States

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
Round of 16: Ghana vs. United States

My prediction: USA 2 - Ghana 1  (in ET or Shootout)

ASHOOR

Revenge will be sweet.

I'm going with the US 2-1 too. 

Let's hope the referees don't make the same horrible mistake from four years ago.  We're willing to forget about the 2 good goals from the first round.

Here is a good article by the US coach.  I think he's getting into the ref's heads already.  I like it:

IRENE, South Africa ? Despite errors by FIFA referees that disallowed two goals and almost knocked the United States out of the World Cup, coach Bob Bradley isn?t in the mood to complain about the refs.

?The game is very hard to officiate,? he said.

Instead, Bradley took aim at a soccer tradition that assaults the sensibilities of many of the casual or new American fans this U.S. team has attracted this week ? flopping.
More World Cup Stories

If you?re tired of seeing generally fit, strong players writhe on the field like a wounded duck after a phantom touch, only to have one of their wincing eyes peeking at the referee, then Bradley feels your, ah, pain.

He ripped the players who do it, called for postgame reviews of incidents and demanded stiff penalties for offenders.

?I hate to see players act like they?ve been hit and get away with it,? Bradley said Thursday in advance of the Americans? game against Ghana on Saturday. ?I would be ashamed if I was the one doing it.?

Bradley is a self-described ?old school? coach and while he?s railed about the pathetic and, at times, comical strategy of players faking injuries to draw penalty kicks, the coach?s goal is generally to avoid controversy in his dealings with the press. It?s why, for the most part, he won?t discuss officiating.

He?s rightfully focused on advancing the USA through the World Cup knockout round, so why add a distraction?

That said, like a lot of soccer enthusiasts over the past two weeks, Bradley has watched too many players getting lightly bumped only to drop like a sniper just blasted them for him to remain silent.

?I like to see real competition,? he said. ?And at times there?ll be contact.?

Bradley brought out his strongest criticism of Ivory Coast player Kader Keita, who in a group game against Brazil took a light elbow to the chest from star Kaka only to fall to the ground in agony holding his face. Referee Stephane Lannoy was duped into believing Kaka had slammed Keita?s face and promptly issued Kaka a second yellow card and subsequent red card to eject the former world player of the year.

?When I see Kaka get sent off, I think that?s too bad for the game because he?s a great player and that is playacting at its best ? or worst,? Bradley said. ?I think it?s terrible that a player [like Kaka] misses a big game.?

Bradley?s solution is for FIFA to review such blatant acting jobs and assess proper penalties then.

?If it?s as obvious as somebody getting pushed in the chest and grabbing his face, I?d rescind the other red card and suspend the player a number of games,? Bradley said.

Blown offsides calls or tough judgment decisions on obstruction will never be solved. This assault on the sensibility of the game ? and the fans that watch it ? can be fixed.

?I think that?s the simplest thing of all to clean up,? Bradley said.

The chances of the Bradley plan coming to fruition?

?I don?t think that FIFA is going to be asking me,? Bradley joked.

So prepare for more playacting. The World Cup is just getting to the serious part and faking an injury may be the only way to stop Kaka.

All my American friends complain about how easily these players go down, and I keep telling them that they're coached to fall down to draw fouls.  If that doesn't change, then they will continue to do it.

That is one of the reasons I hate watching soccer. The players fall for no reason sometimes. It looks so fake and it's really annoying to watch. I don't know how people watch soccer when it isn't world cup.

Ahhhh what a goal. But it is ok still lots of time left.

Americans are good at making a comeback.

Ashoor

My team was in the World Cup, and lost a tough game after playing their hearts out, nothing to be upset about.  At least they made the World Cup.

Guys keep it clean (naram and robin)

I am not on my pc so I can't see what robin posted, but I don't think it warrants such a comment naram.

Tough luck to the US, they came close.

Ashoor

The US played a very good game. Their hick-up has been the slow start, and it did them in again.

This World Cup team performed well beyond expectations, but they did make the final of the Confederations Cup, after defeating the semifinalists Spain. 

Canadian 'fans':  Just be happy that we put on a good enough show, so that the 2022 world cup might end up here and you won't have to travel so far to watch the games.  heck, if you behave, we might let Toronto host a couple of games :p  Clean it up for the next summit. lol

jonadona said:
Canadian 'fans':  Just be happy that we put on a good enough show, so that the 2022 world cup might end up here and you won't have to travel so far to watch the games.  heck, if you behave, we might let Toronto host a couple of games :p  Clean it up for the next summit. lol

Don't do us any favours. We don't want to host any games if they are for you guys.

Dalida said:
Don't do us any favours. We don't want to host any games if they are for you guys.

Your country will bend over backwards at that chance...  Just like all your celebrities do if they wanna be rich and famous. :)

jonadona said:
Your country will bend over backwards at that chance...  Just like all your celebrities do if they wanna be rich and famous. :)

i love how you come on once in a while and just kick some A$$ with replies lol

jonadona said:

All actors from everywhere come to the US to be rich and famous, not just Canadians.

Back