• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Relationship with an Assyrian

mrzurnaci

shekwanta said:
Yeah mrzurnaci, I get that he's not from the middle east, but are you saying that IF HE WAS an Iraqi muslim let's say, or Syrian muslim, or Jordanian muslim, do you really think we would be more accepting just because he would be from the middle east??
-__- where the eff did I imply that? You just made me mad with that implication? I do almost nothing but riff on Islam here and then you say this...

shekwanta

mrzurnaci said:
-__- where the eff did I imply that? You just made me mad with that implication? I do almost nothing but riff on Islam here and then you say this...
Hahahahahaha.. alright alright! I'm sorry! Must have gotten your opinion wrong. I thought you were saying that nationality was more important than religion, but then stated names of Christian societies we would be compatible with! So I kinda thought that that didn't make sense.

Yasinn

shekwanta said:
I would have to agree with my Assyrian fellows in the comments. I'm really trying hard not to make this even worse for you, Yasinn. But I mean look at the horrible history muslims have with Assyrians. You having said that you read into Assyrian history should know exactly what I'm saying.

I know that you said her mom seems like a nice person, who has many Moroccan or other foreign friends, but we all do! Because we live among them. But that's friendship. That is not a commitment for life! Friends come and go. But you are trying to make this woman your wife. That is a huge difference. And after you marry her, don't get too surprised if many of her family members start cutting her off of the family and avoiding her. In my family, if one of our women does what your girlfriend is doing, she would be considered dead and will never be spoken of or seen by any member of the family.

And plus, think about your future kids. Your kids will (maybe) not have a muslim father!!.. But they will have muslim grandparents, and muslim aunts and uncles, and muslim cousins. Your kids will have the same problem when they grow up. I don't think your kids will have their Assyrian cousins on their side.

I believe that the best thing you might do in/for this relationship is to get yourself baptized and convert to Christianity. That might actually work for you two. And of course it would be good for her too, because then she can at least tell everyone that she is married to a "Christian". That might still keep her reputation.
Then again you must keep in mind that converting to Christianity must come from your heart. You have to really believe in it. Converting just to marry her, is a means to an end, so it doesn't count.

You seem like a nice guy. And no offense! But but did you actually think you would seek acceptance here on this forum?? (rhetorical) If your girlfriend was my friend, I would have been the first one to tell her to break it off.
You are dealing with one of the most proud and racist cultures in the world. Good luck dude..
You make a good point in stating the difference between acceptance to friendships and relationships.
I will have to consider the consequences of other family ties from my girlfriends' side.

I've found an Assyrian church in the Netherlands, and I'm thinking of visiting it and gathering more information on getting baptized.

shekwanta

Yasinn said:
I've found an Assyrian church in the Netherlands, and I'm thinking of visiting it and gathering more information on getting baptized.
Great. I'm happy for you :) And not that I'm imposing this on you, but maybe if you ask a priest to teach you about Christianity, you might actually like it and might actually believe in it. Just a suggestion.

Nemrud

LOL what is this, u all are mean to him, actually l doesnt give a **** about if he marriage her or not, ofcourse l rather want assyrian be with assyrian because there is so little of us left, but still hahahahahah. I wouldnt either marry a muslim lady just because shes practicing or have muslim parents, but i dont really care what others do, its their life, in the end we will all die, let them be happy. But then again there are many religious assyrians so they wont accept it and break the connection with her, so l understand that its really wrong for her sake, if she want to be still connected with her fellow assyrians. But if l were her l would NOT marry him, no offense, for my sake.