• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Red hair/ginger Assyrians

Joe25

There are several biships including the bishop of Mosul and I know of 3 in real life who are real redheads. One of which is a relative and my mother and grandmother both inherited some redness in their brown hair and freckles. I myself got the freckles (in the face in the summer) on very pale skin and some redness in my facial hair. Just wondering if anybody else knows of any ginger Assyrians and the history behind this? I don't know where this penotype originated but I'm wondering how it got into the middle east.

Cascade

Our neighbor, who was Chaldean, had red hair. She was very pale. She has a couple of children and none possess red hair, paleness nor freckles. They were all dark like their father. Another was one in elementary school in my class. Though unlike other redheads, she had bronze/olive skin. Very strange.

There is a theory that red hair actually evolved in the middle east 5000 years ago, where it dispersed into the Caucasus and Europe.

Etain

Izzat al Douri had red hair and lived in a city in northern Iraq,it's possible that's related.

Joe25

Neon said:
There is a theory that red hair actually evolved in the middle east 5000 years ago, where it dispersed into the Caucasus and Europe.

Interesting. Is there a link where I can read about it?

Brata_Shleeta

Hey Joe,

where i live i had seen a little assyrian girl, light skin and ginger hair!! why is it called ginger tho i prefer to call it orange since its orange and not red or ginger lool.

her sister was normal and so were her parents.
i know another one also who is an older girl in her 20's or something shes ginger. some assyrians have dark hair like me but in the sun we may see shades of red or orange and my dad said maybe an ancestor had lighter hair like that XD

Joe25

Right, well it does seem to be a thing like I expected. Probably more common to have gingers than adult blondes in the Assyrian community. Funny how it's the opposite in North Europe.

Joe25

Neon said:
http://www.eupedia.com/genetics/origins_of_red_hair.shtml

Scroll down to "Where did red hair first arise?".

Thanks.
The origins of haplogroup R1b are complex, and shrouded in controversy to this day. The present author favours the theory of a Middle Eastern origin (a point upon which very few population geneticists disagree) followed by a migration to the North Caucasus and Pontic Steppe, serving as a starting point for a Bronze-age invasion of the Balkans, then Central and Western Europe. This theory also happens to be the only one that explains the presence of red hair among the Udmurts, Central Asians and Tarim mummies.

This is certainly a blow to those certain white nationalists who want to claim all ancient middle eastern civilizations as theirs, and Assyrians don't have to resort to "this came from the crusaders" to explain our redhaired people.

ins001

mrzurnaci said:
not surprised, my head hair is all black while my beard hair is reddish-light-brown

Lol you're almost as weird as me, my beard is brown except for my chin area (light brown) and my mustache is randomly golden blonde.
And it's Movember so I'm growing it

Cascade

ins001 said:
Lol you're almost as weird as me, my beard is brown except for my chin area (light brown) and my mustache is randomly golden blonde.
And it's Movember so I'm growing it
Same here. My hair is very dark brown. Facial hair is also rather dark. But mustache has a mix of dark and blonde hair (though more obvious in light). For some reason, a lot of people tend to have "lighter" hair on the mustache. Not sure why.

ditto755

It seems to be more prominent among Chaldean's. On my fathers side (Chaldean) I have a cousin with super red hair. I went to school with two redhead Chaldean's who were brother and sister. A Chaldean family friend's son had red hair too.

Cascade

ditto755 said:
It seems to be more prominent among Chaldean's. On my fathers side (Chaldean) I have a cousin with super red hair. I went to school with two redhead Chaldean's who were brother and sister. A Chaldean family friend's son had red hair too.
It is for some reason. Chaldeans usually tend to be light skinned with coloured eyes and hair. I don't know why though.

Googoo

Neon said:
It is for some reason. Chaldeans usually tend to be light skinned with coloured eyes and hair. I don't know why though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the chaldeans became catholic after the crusaders came (Don't know who, Byzantines or whatever - lol, my memory is so poor!)? Maybe that's a factor? i.e intermixing with Europeans.

I read somewhere on a forum that Izzat Al-Douri was an Assyrian before converting to Islam, and he was a red-head :p Not sure if that's a fact though, people were just discussing it.

ins001

Googoo said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the chaldeans became catholic after the crusaders came (Don't know who, Byzantines or whatever - lol, my memory is so poor!)? Maybe that's a factor? i.e intermixing with Europeans.

No, Assyrians branched off from the Nestorius Church to form the Chaldean Catholic Church much later than when the crusades arrived.

mrzurnaci

ins001 said:
No, Assyrians branched off from the Nestorius Church to form the Chaldean Catholic Church much later than when the crusades arrived.

the split occurred during the 1500s, about 400+ years from the 1st Crusade...