Realistic scenarios of how an Assyrian region\province would exist?

Kelba

It seems there is a good possibility that we may, in the near future, see an Assyrian-centric province in Iraq or even some sort of autonomous region. If this were indeed to happen, what would it look like? How could it realistically survive?

I don't see many Assyrians living in the west moving back to Iraq. We have much greater access to education and wealth-creation opportunities in the west, and having the majority of our population move back to Iraq could actually screw us in the long-run. We need people in the west to make money, get educated, and serve as representatives of our people to the global population. Many in the world have no idea who Assyrians are, and it will be easier for them to associate with us if we are productive members of their society, rather than some minority ethnic group in Iraq. So essentially I believe many Assyrians are not willing to migrate back, nor should they.

Instead, I think we should envision the future of Assyria as an economic unit and nothing else. Perhaps our region could specialize in some high-skill manufacturing like robotics, or invest heavily in solar and supply the region with clean energy. We would have more land than people, and so I think the right choice is to go with some heavy capital investments. Thus my idea of treating it more like an economic unit. The first goal of our province should be to develop some strategic economic advantage so that it can begin trading and establish a presence.

Further, I could see an Assyrian province with many vacation homes\rentals where Assyrians from diaspora come visit, but do not necessarily base their lives out of. Again, we have better opportunities in more developed countries. Some Assyrians would live there to manage the local government and take care of the lands. I think it's more appropriate for our people to advance themselves in the west while investing in the "economic unit" that would be the Assyrian region. Dividends could even be paid out to investors just like its a company.

I think this strategy would create some meaningful and near-immediate value to our lands, without forcing people to sacrifice their current livelihoods just go back and live in underdeveloped lands. Any thoughts?

Kelba said:
It seems there is a good possibility that we may, in the near future, see an Assyrian-centric province in Iraq or even some sort of autonomous region. If this were indeed to happen, what would it look like? How could it realistically survive?

where did you get that from ?

nejepnerast said:

Just curious, what the fack are you doing in an assyrian forum? U should be in a kurdish forum thinking u will get a country, something u never will haha, if u ever get a country in my lifetime l Will bomb it.

nejepnerast said:

It's being discussed more and more in political circles both in Iraq and America. America has actually already passed some bills to set aside funding to help support Iraq ethnic minority groups.

Nemrud said:
Just curious, what the fack are you doing in an assyrian forum? U should be in a kurdish forum thinking u will get a country, something u never will haha, if u ever get a country in my lifetime l Will bomb it.

does it bother you having a kurd among you ? I would really like to response to the rest of your post and mob the floor with you :)  , but i will not do it out of courtesy for some good people here .   

Kelba said:
It's being discussed more and more in political circles both in Iraq and America. America has actually already passed some bills to set aside funding to help support Iraq ethnic minority groups.
oh , got it  . I thought it was some sort bill submitted to iraqi parliament asking for some sort of self rule . Why doesn't Assyrian political parties do that ?

by the way , I love the rest of what you wrote , a bit idealistic , but nevertheless beautiful way of thinking .

nejepnerast said:
oh , got it  . I thought it was some sort bill submitted to iraqi parliament asking for some sort of self rule . Why doesn't Assyrian political parties do that ?

They did pre-ISIS, I believe there was a bill that passed in support of an Assyrian-centric province within Northern Iraq just months before ISIS sacked Mosul. I can dig up some information if you would like, truthfully I have forgotten the details myself, but I do recall there was some positive legislation that moved forward that was in support of a local Assyrian government in some communities. But anyway, the plans kind of got thrown out the window after the invasion happened.

nejepnerast said:

by the way , I love the rest of what you wrote , a bit idealistic , but nevertheless beautiful way of thinking .

Oh, sorry, l thought u were against it like many others....

nejepnerast said:
does it bother you having a kurd among you ? I would really like to response to the rest of your post and mob the floor with you :)  , but i will not do it out of courtesy for some good people here .   

You dont know me at all, l am kind to people that are kind to me, it doesant matter what relgiion he is, the reason why i said that was because all your post is so negative against us, it make me angry, but l maybe didnt understand you, because you clearly are firendly sometimes, so sorry man, you are welcome to write her whenever you want:)

Welcome back Kelba.

Look, I really don't know. There has been dozens of threads on this and to no avail. No resolution. No solution. They all spawned not only arguments but wishful thoughts as well.

Nemrud said:
You dont know me at all, l am kind to people that are kind to me, it doesant matter what relgiion he is, the reason why i said that was because all your post is so negative against us, it make me angry, but l maybe didnt understand you, because you clearly are firendly sometimes, so sorry man, you are welcome to write her whenever you want:)
I'm not offended Nemrud and did not take what you said seriously ,hence the emojis , so no need to apologize .
We all live in the same land and instead of trying to work together and built something we are fighting each other WHILE Iran-turkey-dam-projects-drying-up-iraq-s-water , hell Iran is diverting entire rivers .

http://gulfnews.com/news/mena/iraq/iran-turkey-dam-projects-drying-up-iraq-s-water-1.2198616

Meanwhile the number of Assyrian in the USA have exceeded the number of that exist in their ancestral land  .

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2018/03/09/assyrian-diaspora-in-u-s-mexico-fueled-by-persecution-may-soon-exceed-population-in-middle-east/

Frankly both Assyrian and kurdish Nationalists are Ass...ols  and their policies will get us No where .

Guys do you mind if I push us back to discuss the thread's focus :) how do you feel an Assyrian region\province could realistically exist? How can we support it without also inhibiting our peoples' opportunities in western societies?

If we get a region or a country we wont be teaching classical syriac. Now you might ask how do you know that? because syriac is the official language of syria kurdistan and we arent teaching classical syriac at all, only west and east assyrian.

Syriac-Aramaic mainly in the Surayt/Turoyo and Assyrian Neo-Aramaic varieties (mainly Classical Syriac in writing), Northwest Semitic languages from the Semitic language family.
In August 2016, the Ourhi Centre was founded by the Assyrian community in the city of Qamishli, to educate teachers in order to make Assyrian Neo-Aramaic an additional language to be taught in public schools in the Jazira Canton in Rojava,[26] which then started with the 2016/17 academic year.

And guess what, l am happy about it. I dont want classical syriac to be teached for one reason, NOONE can speak it. I speak west assyrian and l want the future children of our region to also speak it and east assyrian so that we evolve our language together. I and many other might be too old to learn a new language and beside we speak eastern aramaic and our assyrian language evolved naturally to be this language we speak today, and we also have akkadian loanwords in it, why change that? l dont care about old books, west and east assyrian should and will be official languages. We could for example make west assyrian for science and east assyrian for something else....

Nemrud said:
If we get a region or a country we wont be teaching classical syriac. Now you might ask how do you know that? because syriac is the official language of syria kurdistan and we arent teaching classical syriac at all, only west and east assyrian.

Syriac-Aramaic mainly in the Surayt/Turoyo and Assyrian Neo-Aramaic varieties (mainly Classical Syriac in writing), Northwest Semitic languages from the Semitic language family.
In August 2016, the Ourhi Centre was founded by the Assyrian community in the city of Qamishli, to educate teachers in order to make Assyrian Neo-Aramaic an additional language to be taught in public schools in the Jazira Canton in Rojava,[26] which then started with the 2016/17 academic year.

And guess what, l am happy about it. I dont want classical syriac to be teached for one reason, NOONE can speak it. I speak west assyrian and l want the future children of our region to also speak it and east assyrian so that we evolve our language together. I and many other might be too old to learn a new language and beside we speak eastern aramaic and our assyrian language evolved naturally to be this language we speak today, and we also have akkadian loanwords in it, why change that? l dont care about old books, west and east assyrian should and will be official languages. We could for example make west assyrian for science and east assyrian for something else....

classical sureth can easily be learned though. Also, how different is Classical from Modern anyway? Looking at classical and the modern dialects, it's not too radically different that we can't learn it.

mrzurnaci said:
classical sureth can easily be learned though. Also, how different is Classical from Modern anyway? Looking at classical and the modern dialects, it's not too radically different that we can't learn it.

I know you want it to be teached but i dont think that will happen, Syria Kurdistan is teaching syriac, West and East, lf i understand it correctly.

On wikipedia they call our language neo aramaic, l think its wrong because mandaic and western aramaic is included with neo aramaic, maybe it should be called Assyrian (assyrian, chaldean, turoyo), what do you think? usually when someone say what language do you speak, l say west assyrian but l dont know if its wrong or right.

One more thing, what should our language be named in wikipedia if we get a region or country in the future? Assyrian, syriac, neo aramaic? or maybe something else.

"Assyrian /?s?ri.?k/ (???? ?????? Le???n? Sury?y?), also known as Assyrian Aramaic or Classical Assyrian,[4][5][6] is a dialect of Middle Aramaic that is the minority language of indigenous ethnic Assyrians/Syriacs in south eastern Turkey, northern Iraq, northeastern Syria and North western Iran. It is also the liturgical language of several churches, in particular the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church, Assyrian Church of the East, Syriac Orthodox Church, Chaldean Catholic Church and Maronite Church."

The name syriac doesnt exist, its real name is assyrian. I changed the name syriac into assyrian and now it looks much better.

Back