• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

NHL Expansion to Las Vegas

Kosovo1389

Even though I am a diehard sports fan, I try to not offer too many commentaries because I don?t to be the King of Know-nothing, and then bask in the ingloriousness of failure. However, I couldn?t help myself but to offer my perspective on the Las Vegas expansion team in the NHL. I personally think that Bettman (despite his utter insanity) knows that: a) the NHL will not be Arizona by the end of this decade; b) it will be in Seattle inevitably; and c) he wants to see the Las Vegas void filled before taking care of Seattle due to the arena disparity. Hence, his solution: put an expansion franchise there; rake in $500 million in fees, and save the Coyotes for the return of the Pilots by relocating the Coyotes to the northwest. Even though he loses a rather weak rivalry in the Southwest, he does build a massive rivalry between them and the Canucks.

Meanwhile, there will be an open slot for expansion coming in Milwaukee in 2018. This is far juicier than the already existing open slot in nearby Kansas City (which nobody wants to gamble on). Utilizing this can create a three-way with either Chicago and/or Minnesota. It is far less risky than other prospective cities such as Houston (which is untouchably risky) or even Des Moines (Iowa). This will also help justify the forced stabilization of the Nashville market by not letting the Predators move out. A Plan B could be to move an eastern team westward to Milwaukee if there are plans to plant a second franchise in the GTA.

Finally, there is the question of Quebec City. Right now, the bets are on Carolina to move north. The NFL?s approval of the LA Rams moving back home despite winning a title after leaving the town is a justification and precedent. The Blue Jackets are a perennial relocation candidate, but Cleveland may be their inevitable home with no consideration for leaving Ohio. The Florida Panthers are also considered unstable, but aren?t thought in the same mindset as Carolina right now. Furthermore, believing that the NHL isn?t coming back to Hartford is an error, but the timeframe is unpredictable right now. Quebec, as much of a joke as it seems right now, will likely be the next problem to get resolved, possibly even before Seattle.       

J-ROK

Hey man,

Your hockey knowledge (NHL) specifically is above average, you know your stuff, but where are you from? Do you play the game ?

Kosovo1389

J-ROK said:
Hey man,

Your hockey knowledge (NHL) specifically is above average, you know your stuff, but where are you from? Do you play the game ?
So sorry for such a late reply, but thanks for the kind words. I am a diehard LA Kings fan, I am from Los Angeles, born and raised here. I have never played the game in my life, the closest thing I can say is that I knew how how skate on ice when I was a child, and I might be able to pull it off now. I follow the NHL closely but have great interest in it. 

J-ROK

Las Vegas has announced the name of their new NHL team ..Las Vegas Golden Knights ..  not bad eh ?

Kosovo1389

J-ROK said:
Las Vegas has announced the name of their new NHL team ..Las Vegas Golden Knights ..  not bad eh ?
Considering that Bettman forbade the use of any term related to gambling, this was a pretty good pick. Aces would have been the best name. It would be very fun to see the Raiders move to Las Vegas and turn the city upside down. Then Bettman will be the ostrich! Have you heard that Karmanos is apparently going to sell the Hurricanes before the season is over?