Mar Dinkha IV Visits Iranian President - Thoughts?

rumrum

I'm surprised this wasn't brought up here yet.  What do you guys think of the event when Mar Dinkha IV visited with Iranian President Amhadinejad (sp).

I think its good and weird at the same time.  It's great to see some credibility given to the Assyrian Church of the East to have our Patriarch visit a Head of State of another country.  It's definitely good PR and his message was clear and concise.  However, it's weird to me because Iran is a US enemy and am wondering if it was a good move to meet with an enemy of the country you currently reside in.  I don't know.  In the end I thought it was done in good faith and probably should've been advertised more.

Just as long as he doesn?t make his political views on Iran and Assyrians public and it was a visit\meeting just based on spirituality then have no qualms.

The main reason for the visit is because they just ordained a new bishop there, obviously this bishop will represent our community there and we need to be on good terms with the government if we want to have an easier time.

[youtube]l_c3B3ojbZ8[/youtube]

I have been meaning to post about this. I think it is good in general, as long as Mar Dinkha doesn't show full support for the regime and what it does.

Here are some nice pictures from the visit.

jamshidiha20100915085030123.jpg

Ordination-ceremony-bishop-Tehran1.jpg

Ordination-ceremony-bishop-Tehran2.jpg

Ordination-ceremony-bishop-Tehran3.jpg

Ordination-ceremony-bishop-Tehran4.jpg

Ordination-ceremony-bishop-Tehran5.jpg

Ordination-ceremony-bishop-Tehran6.jpg

Ordination-ceremony-bishop-Tehran7.jpg

Ordination-ceremony-bishop-Tehran8.jpg

Ordination-ceremony-bishop-Tehran9.jpg

Ordination-ceremony-bishop-Tehran10.jpg

Ordination-ceremony-bishop-Tehran11.jpg

Ordination-ceremony-bishop-Tehran12.jpg

View the rest of the pictures here...

ASHOOR

Congratulations to the new bishop.  We are all very, very proud of him. 

A short clip of the meeting between Mar Dinkha IV and Ahmadinejad:

[youtube]r4sZ_I5VGdY[/youtube]

I downloaded all of the images and videos I could find of the bishop's consecration, as well as all other media related to Mar Dinkha's trip to Iran, including the meeting discussed above, with Ahmadinejad, as well as meetings with Rafsanjani and Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani.  The photos and videos are here: http://www.box.net/shared/hrzkcn825f

number of our population in iran is only 25 thousand? is it true? I thought we had less than 50 000 remain in iran.Politics is not his thing but as long as we have leaders like Youndam Kanna that  Mr Dinka should represent  our people negotiate with our enemies. He is more than just a priest and I believe our umta back home supporting him more than they support Youndam Kanna.

Free_Assyria said:
there wouldn?t be more then 10,000. Most of the Assyrian villages in urmi are now majority Kurdish.

That number sounds right.  The last number I heard approx 2 years ago put the Assyrian population at 15,000.

Back