Maloula ASSYRIANS?

Nemrud

This is what they called Their language: Loghtha Siryanoytha[1] lushono suryoyo

I am Aramean and my language is Aramaic= Ana suray w li?oni aromay.
We are Arameans and our language is Aramaic= Ana? suroy w li?onah aromay.

I took this from Wikipedia, and l watched a Youtube video and they call themselves suroy.

Now l am Wondering IF suroyo mean assyrian then why do they callthemselves suroy which resembles suroyo? Are they Calling themselves assyrian?

If they are The real Arameans and Calling themselves suroy then we might be Arameans. And The Arameans suryoye might had right all The time.

Or suroy might be assyrian and The reason why they still call themselves that is because they are really assyrian Arameans?

I dont know, but do you?

What about maronites? They are syriacs, why are they not assyrians, idto suryeyto maroniyto, and they number 3 millions, and maron was syriac Who established The Church maronite Church.

I used to think Maronites were closely related Levantine people who were descendants of Phoenicians. I wouldn't call them Arab. They're pure like us.

Maronites are not Assyrians. Every Maronite I've met looks like a typical Lebanese person. Many of them don't even know what Assyrians are, and many of the ones I've met don't even know that Syriac is their liturgical language. Saying they are part of a Syriac Church is not a very strong argument as there are Indians in Kerala who are part of our churches. Does that make them Assyrian? Absolutely not.

Also, regarding the Aramean thing, it is a very complex subject. At one point in time "Syria" referred to Assyria, but eventually due to confusion it started referring to the area which was Aram, the Western part of the Assyrian empire. This is why we have "Syriac" to differentiate from "Syrian", but originally the Syriac Orthodox Church was called the Syrian Orthodox Church. Syria actually refers to either Assyria or Aram depending on the time period and the context. This confusion is due to a combination of things, including the Greeks and Romans, as well as our dropping of the initial "a" sound in "Ashuraya". I don't know too much about this at the moment to actually explain this properly, maybe someone else who is more knowledgable in this area can contribute, but this is essentially what the Aramean identity stems from. So called "Arameans" believe that "Suryoyo" refers to "Oromoyo", or "Aramean", instead of "Assyrian", even though "Suryoyo" comes from "Ashuraya", because as I said, "Syria" and "Assyria" no longer really refer to the same thing.

SonOfAssyria said:
Maronites are not Assyrians. Every Maronite I've met looks like a typical Lebanese person. Many of them don't even know what Assyrians are, and many of the ones I've met don't even know that Syriac is their liturgical language. Saying they are part of a Syriac Church is not a very strong argument as there are Indians in Kerala who are part of our churches. Does that make them Assyrian? Absolutely not.

Also, regarding the Aramean thing, it is a very complex subject. At one point in time "Syria" referred to Assyria, but eventually due to confusion it started referring to the area which was Aram, the Western part of the Assyrian empire. This is why we have "Syriac" to differentiate from "Syrian", but originally the Syriac Orthodox Church was called the Syrian Orthodox Church. Syria actually refers to either Assyria or Aram depending on the time period and the context. This confusion is due to a combination of things, including the Greeks and Romans, as well as our dropping of the initial "a" sound in "Ashuraya". I don't know too much about this at the moment to actually explain this properly, maybe someone else who is more knowledgable in this area can contribute, but this is essentially what the Aramean identity stems from. So called "Arameans" believe that "Suryoyo" refers to "Oromoyo", or "Aramean", instead of "Assyrian", even though "Suryoyo" comes from "Ashuraya", because as I said, "Syria" and "Assyria" no longer really refer to the same thing.

So u think maloula Arameans adopted The name suroy? But why would they do that.... Maybe then we adopted The name suroyo, really If u think about it, it can be true.

Ma'loula are native Arameans, they're not Assyrians. 'suroy' is Western Aramaic but 'suroyo' is Western Syriac. 'Suroyo' means "Syrian". "Syrian" is a very old term but they're probably referring to the country of Syria. Don't forget that "Syria" was also a region named by the Greeks around the land of Darmsuq (Damascus).

mrzurnaci said:
Ma'loula are native Arameans, they're not Assyrians. 'suroy' is Western Aramaic but 'suroyo' is Western Syriac. 'Suroyo' means "Syrian". "Syrian" is a very old term but they're probably referring to the country of Syria. Don't forget that "Syria" was also a region named by the Greeks around the land of Darmsuq (Damascus).

Thats The thing, maloula adopted The name suroy, according to suryoye we adopted The name suroyo, which means Oromoyo, of course i dont believe it but There May be a possibility....

Nemrud said:
Thats The thing, maloula adopted The name suroy, according to suryoye we adopted The name suroyo, which means Oromoyo, of course i dont believe it but There May be a possibility....

Syria was used to mean the Levant, Arameans are a Levantine people while Assyrians are a Mesopotamian people.

This is Syria during Ottoman times
356px-Ottoman_Syria_1900.svg.png

mrzurnaci said:
Who are the Phoenicians though?

Actually If suryoyo means Aramean like suroy mean Aramean then our Churchfathers would have been right after all. Remember ephrem the syrian and others called our people Arameans but Michael the Great called us both Arameans and assyrians, l dont know anyone that lived in the Middle age Calling us assyrians except Michael the Great, the others always called us Arameans. The Assyrians says they didnt know being religious, but IF its true that we are Arameans then that would make sence why maloula say suroy and are Arameans, suryoyo means Oromoyo.

Nemrud said:
Actually If suryoyo means Aramean like suroy mean Aramean then our Churchfathers would have been right after all. Remember ephrem the syrian and others called our people Arameans but Michael the Great called us both Arameans and assyrians, l dont know anyone that lived in the Middle age Calling us assyrians except Michael the Great, the others always called us Arameans. The Assyrians says they didnt know being religious, but IF its true that we are Arameans then that would make sence why maloula say suroy and are Arameans, suryoyo means Oromoyo.

Even Mor Aphrem called us Assyrians. We really, really, really are Assyrians. Everything points to us being Assyrian.

SonOfAssyria said:
Even Mor Aphrem called us Assyrians. We really, really, really are Assyrians. Everything points to us being Assyrian.

Really? Source please because l have seen him say we are Arameans Only.....

Nemrud said:
Really? Source please because l have seen him say we are Arameans Only.....

Sure.

"Even giants feared the great renown of Assyria.
We conquered many folks, and this Hebrew scared us
Our roaring scared Kings, and we feared his voice?
We smashed many countries, and he defeated us
Nineveh the mother of giants feared the afraid
The lioness in her dean scared by the afraid Hebrew
Ashur, who roared on the universe, today was roared by Jonah
This is how the descendants of the mighty Nimrud weakened"
~ St. Ephrem the Syrian (Assyrian), The "Khudra" book, P. 352

SonOfAssyria said:
Sure.

~ St. Ephrem the Syrian (Assyrian), The "Khudraio" book, P. 352

Show me link please, i want to know Where u get this from

SonOfAssyria said:
Sure.

~ St. Ephrem the Syrian (Assyrian), The "Khudra" book, P. 352

Hmmm, interesting so this means we always knew we were assyrians, but why were they also Calling us Arameans?  ecpesially him?

SonOfAssyria said:
Exactly, according to them. They considered him a crown of glory for all the Arameans. As far as I know he never even called himself Aramean. Heck, I'm fairly certain that most of these quotes from all these church leaders about us being Aramean are taken out of context.

I dont know and I dont care, the important is that he called us Assyrians, and we had then also an assyrian identity in our head.

Western Neo-Aramaic
Aromay, Loghtha Aramoytha, Malouli Syriac, Lishona Aromay, Siryon, Loghtha Siryanoytha[1]
????? - ????? Aromay
?????? ?r?m?

They call their language syriac and aramaic, thats why they call themselves suroy and Aromay.

Back