Making the Assyrian Language a Universal One?

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
I read in on Ankawa.com that there are efforts by some Assyrian scholars to unify the Syriac font and have one instead of three that we currently have. This will help make it easier to read and more universal.

Is anyone aware of this or heard anything?

ASHOOR

Are we talking about the spoken or the written language?

Either way, I don't see the universality of mashing all three scripts together to create a totally new and previously unused Frankenstein script. Same goes with the spoken languages.

to unify the Syriac font??? Why??? Our three scripts are already very similar.
Is there anyone who wants to unify Arial and Times New Roman???
They should think about how to unify our dialects instead our scripts which are nearly the same.

Zawoyo said:
to unify the Syriac font??? Why??? Our three scripts are already very similar.
Is there anyone who wants to unify Arial and Times New Roman???
They should think about how to unify our dialects instead our scripts which are nearly the same.

good point, but I think anyone can read arial and times new roman with ease, while our fonts can be vastly different from one to another.

again, i read a bit about this and don't have the full information. and by universalizing them doesn't mean to do away with them and just create a new written language.

we already have a default font, the madinkhaya, isn't it? see chart below (the first one)

unavngivetno.jpg

If you look at them, they don't really look that similar, at least not to the casual observer...

ASHOOR

Why is Madinkhaya default? Shouldn't the default be Estrangelo(a)?

I might support it if they decided to only use estrangelo. But to be honest, like 1% of the youth today can read our language anyway.

ASHOOR said:
good point, but I think anyone can read arial and times new roman with ease, while our fonts can be vastly different from one to another.

Ah comeon man, I learnt only the Serto script, and I didn´t need more than 2 minutes to "learn" Estrangelo and Madenhoyo too.

I agree with SyriacOrthodoxAssyrian, Estrangela should be the default since a) it's used by both East and West Assyrians; and b) the other two are derived from it. Artificially creating a fourth one just to be a mix of all three is pointless and silly.

Also, like Zawoyo said, if you know one of the scripts, it doesn't take much time or effort to learn the other two.

Uniting, universal, etc etc  it just doesn’t work with us.
No point in this what’s so ever, if anything the spoken language should be turned into one.
I have a hard time understanding so many Assyrians, but it will be a mammoth task to do this.
Because we dont have a country or a truly universal organisation that can come to an agreement.

We should use the madnahaya script as the official or universal written system. It's the easiest and most Assyrians around me use it.

Back