lakha or akha ?

Zawoyo

I have a question because of the word "here" in eastern Assyrian.

I always hear the word lakha to "here" but I heard from a friend that it´s akha.
He gave me this example:

come here = talokh l-akha
it is here = akha ile

The l stands for to. And the phrase talokh l-akha means literally "come to here"

What do You think about that, is it right?

I doubt there is a correct one, I'm pretty sure Akha is just a shortened version of Lakha. And again, which word you use depends on what village you come from, just another dialect/accent thing.

I agree with Davidb, it's probably just shortened. On a related topic, you should know that in Semitic languages often certain letters disappear under certain conditions. If my Aramaic grammar book doesn't have typos, it says that ܐ ܗ ܘ ܚ ܝ ܠ ܢ ܪ are sometimes not pronounced and it is sometimes marked by a line called ܡܒܛܠܢܐ (surpresser). In Biblical Hebrew there are letters that sometimes disappear all together - א ה ו י (the quiescent letters) and ל נ (which often assimulate). There may be other letters in Hebrew that disappear too, but I couldn't find further infomation about it in my Grammar book.

As far as we know the l is used for localization.
Words like "house" , "city", "here" and so on are localizations.

If I want to say ...
... "come to the house" I say talokh l beyta
... "come to the city" ... talokh l mdita
... "come here" ... talokh l akha

@Tears of Assyria
We use in west a similar or same word for harka, we say harke. In Assyrian font both is written in the same way (without the dots).
"Come here" is in west tolokh l (h)arke.

Common speech -

... "come to the house" I say ta l beyta
... "come to the city" ... ta l mdita
... "come here" ... ta l akha

I think Tears is right. We have akha (classically ܟܐ, ka) = "here," and lakha (classically ܠܟܐ, lkha) = "to here" ("hither" in older English).

I don't think people use them that way nowadays, kind of like how people use "atee" meaning "you (man or woman)," but technically "atee" should be used for a woman and "at" for a man.

Tears is correct on this, Kha (Kap, Alap) + La (Lamad) = Lakha, and akha just has a silent Lamad probably for shortcut.

I'm just curious, what do western Assyrians say? Because I hear the word Harke a lot frm them.

Tambur said:
Kha (Kap, Alap)

I believe that's incorrect.

Kha (Hheth, Alap), in arabic it's wa7id.....in Aramaic it's "Hhadh" or "7adh"

It's not a Kap, it's a Hheth!

Knight said:
I believe that's incorrect.

Kha (Hheth, Alap), in arabic it's wa7id.....in Aramaic it's "Hhadh" or "7adh"

It's not a Kap, it's a Hheth!

This is not incorrect, Kha which is spelled Kap/Alap does indeed mean "Here", also Kha for number one is spelled khet/dalat, there's no Alap in there (Unless you put the Alap before the Khet and it becomes Akhad which is proper also).

A lot of times Kap is pronounced Khap, words such as (The bold KH is Kap):

Buraakha
Kikhwa
Shlama-Lukh
So on...

This also exists in Hebrew with the same exact letter, with Arabic on the other hand it's never pronounced as KH, it is also said that the Khet is originally a Het, while the Kh sound in our language originally came from Khap, but of course this will depend on the dialect, for example this is indeed the case in Western Assyrian, but in Eastern Assyrian it's not because there are more dialects and it's all mixed.

Tambur said:
Tears is correct on this, Kha (Kap, Alap) + La (Lamad) = Lakha, and akha just has a silent Lamad probably for shortcut.

I'm just curious, what do western Assyrians say? Because I hear the word Harke a lot frm them.

We say in the west dialect harke to 'here'.
And 'come here' is tolokh l (h)arke.

Tambur said:
This is not incorrect, Kha which is spelled Kap/Alap does indeed mean "Here", also Kha for number one is spelled khet/dalat, there's no Alap in there (Unless you put the Alap before the Khet and it becomes Akhad which is proper also).

A lot of times Kap is pronounced Khap, words such as (The bold KH is Kap):

Buraakha
Kikhwa
Shlama-Lukh
So on...

This also exists in Hebrew with the same exact letter, with Arabic on the other hand it's never pronounced as KH, it is also said that the Khet is originally a Het, while the Kh sound in our language originally came from Khap, but of course this will depend on the dialect, for example this is indeed the case in Western Assyrian, but in Eastern Assyrian it's not because there are more dialects and it's all mixed.

My bad, lost track of the thread...didnt know what u were referring to.

Lakha - Urmians, Iraqi Koine, Gawars and Nochiyehs

Akha - Tyaris, Chaldeans, Baznayehs, Barwars and the rest

Jilwayehs say 'hiya' for come btw Lol

Tears of Assyria said:
there are many words for here

harka
hakha
lakha

the L has to be for = to
la kha = to here

This is correct.

axa = here
il = to
il axa = to here
l'axa = hither

mrzurnaci said:
correct form is "-tha" since the origin word is "atha" which makes sense since Taw is the second letter following a vowel, it has to be softened.

In Classical Syriac grammar, does that revert back to a t sound instead of th sound since the first Alap is omitted in the imperative?

I'm quite confident that nowadays, "ta" is the most common version. Since many dialects use the t sound as apposed to the th sound, and since our modern dialects descend from sister dialects of Syriac, I think that there is every possibility that "ta" is a very old and equally authentic version. If that's the case, it feels rather arbitrary to lean towards one way or the other. That is why we need to gather together to develop and standardise our language with a team of talented and enthusiastic members who will decide these matters systematically. I have proposed this many times before and am gathering like-minded individuals for this very purpose so, anyone, please inbox me if you are interested. Mrzurnaci, we need people like you with us.

Back