iTunes Is Killing My CPU! Or Is It?

shamirum

Forgive me if this has already been posted in some capacity, but does anyone with a PC (non-Mac lovers here) have a problem with running iTunes?

Every time I run this program, even the updated 7.0, I have major memory breakdown. My CPU usage jumps from around 20-30% to 100% and stays that way, even after I close iTunes. I have to restart to get things back to normal, if not, my computer is SO darn slow, and I can barely use any of my programs.

I am not totally sure that iTunes is causing this problem, but I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling other programs, I have run half a dozen anti-virus programs and spyware detectors, and my computer is supposedly clean, but it's still driving me crazy.

If someone has any suggestions or experience with this, please let me know..

Hit ctr-alt-dlt once and have the processes tab open, and open itunes. See if it's itunes that is taking the CPU, or if another program fires up and starts sapping it up. Only reason i can say that itunes would do it is if one of the files was corrupt, but if you've reinstalled it, me has no idea.

And if you're not too attatched to itunes, switch over to fubar or winamp?

I am attached, but explain this looking at if iTunes is taking the CPU...  :blink:

When I open the Task Manager window, it shows iTunes at the highest number...

Even after I close iTunes, my system still goes a bit too slow.

Kevo, since you're in the helping mood tonight, I have another question, if you are familiar with laptops.

I know Dell has problems with their batteries, blah blah, but my laptop keeps overheating right by the memory. I am sure the CPU must be directly above it, and I have even cleaned out the fan and it is sparkling clean now, but it still heats too much. When it gets overly hot, could that be causing all this dragging?

Thanks for your help.

Being excessively hot may definetly slow down the computer, but it doesn't make sense that just opening itunes would make it bog down that much. If you can run other programs fine, then the heat isn't the source of problem. But the other way around, if your CPU is constantly under a load (that this itunes problems is creating), that will definetly cause it to heat up, and laptops aren't the coolest machines, so running it a load will definetly heat it up quickly. Make sure you keep the laptop on a flat surface for extended periods of use, a bed or a lap isn't an ideal spot to keep it, i even keep the edge of mine on the lip of my desk so there's always enough air underneath.

If itunes is taking up all your cpu, then that definetly means its no other program but itunes. I'd try completely uninstalling all of its components and trying again. And if you have a lot of movie files in your library, i'd temporarily take them out, mine slowed down a lot when i moved all my movies into the list.

Kevin, love, thank you so much!? :bigarmhug:

And Daniel, you know, I took Kevin's advice, and I uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled, and it is working okay right now...

I know I just jinxed it by saying that, but honestly, it's better than it has been in a long time.

When I still had the 6.0, I had uninstalled and reinstalled, but when I upgraded to 7.0 I never did that, so I decided to do as Kevin said, and try another uninstall/reinstall, and maybe it'll help.

I admit that iTunes still takes up too much memory, especially on Windows-based systems, but with this new album art feature, I just can't say no...? :blush2:

Yea, I jinxed it, lol.

About twenty minutes after starting it, iTunes is now taking anywhere from 40 to 70% of my CPU usage, and it's up to 100% in use again...

What I don't understand is why it isn't like this from the beginning? Why does it slow down over time?

The thing is really hot again, but Kevin has me wondering if it's iTunes that is killing it and making it hot, or if the CPU is just getting hot on its own and causing the system to freak...

I am so confused. :cry:

Oh, and it keeps changing its mind about how much of the CPU it wants to take, haha, because sometimes it'll be as low as 25, then jump up to 90!

I swear it's insane and it's driving me insane with it!

:crybaby:

the new itunes does something to your library when you first install it. i forget what its called...just look at that little window at the top and you should see a progress bar or a number indicating how many songs are left for itunes to check. once thats done, it shouldnt give you anymore problems. But it will do the same to your ipod the first time you connect it.

The gap thing?

LOL, I forgot what it's called, too, but I never noticed it doing that in the first place, and now there is no status bar that I can see, just that stupid apple...  :blink:

I'm getting a migraine from all of this, damn it.

Hell, I'm out of ideas, if it were me by this time I'd say forget iTunes and just move to winamp or some other player.

I just found out that the fan on my laptop is broken...  :blush2:

Ben says it's my fault, but he's wrong, I think it just died on its own, jhareh... :cry:

So, I am going to do a format, reinstall everything, and have Dell replace the fan, as well as some new memory (not an upgrade, but they'll probably bring fresh sticks), and also try to not kill my computer with so much stuff. I had nearly 30 GB of just pictures alone, and lots of other stuff I started to finally move to my portable...

So wish me luck, I'll need it. :dry:

Okay, so Dell ran some tests, and it turns out I am having major hardware problems, what a surprise!

But amazingly, they were very fast at figuring things out, and my laptop is basically going to be overhauled, with many things replaced.

I won't have it for about a week, I'll have to survive with the desktop downstairs...

Back