Is Janan Sawa a Legend?

I would say that his voice isn't really all that, but i would say that when he sings live he really knows how to partyy!!

yes assyriska he is chaldean catholic also he does contribute to both churchs that question tamboreena i will find out

HI PEOPLE..............REFERRING TO JANAN SAWA BEING A LEGEND..................................THERE'S NOBODY IN THE CHALDO/ASSYIO COMMUNITY THAT LOVES JANAN SAWA MORE THAN I DO.........................BUT I THINK THAT REFERRING HIM AS A LEGEND OR ANYTHING IN THAT SECTION IS BEING TOO MUCH WE CANNOT REFFER A SINGER AS A LEGEND..................................A LEGEND IS SOMEONE HAS DONE THINGS OR DID THINGS THAT MADE HIM/HER A LEGEND BUT JANAN SAWA IS SURELY NOT A LEGEND BUT HE IS ONE OF THE BIG STAR IN OUR COMMUNITY AND I THINK HE WILL ALWAYS REMAIN THAT WAY AND ALSO FOR OTHER STARS THAT WE HAVE...........

TORONTO, CANADA

MR_2_GOOD said:
HI PEOPLE..............REFERRING TO JANAN SAWA BEING A LEGEND..................................THERE'S NOBODY IN THE CHALDO/ASSYIO COMMUNITY THAT LOVES JANAN SAWA MORE THAN I DO.........................BUT I THINK THAT REFERRING HIM AS A LEGEND OR ANYTHING IN THAT SECTION IS BEING TOO MUCH WE CANNOT REFFER A SINGER AS A LEGEND..................................A LEGEND IS SOMEONE HAS DONE THINGS OR DID THINGS THAT MADE HIM/HER A LEGEND BUT JANAN SAWA IS SURELY NOT A LEGEND BUT HE IS ONE OF THE BIG STAR IN OUR COMMUNITY AND I THINK HE WILL ALWAYS REMAIN THAT WAY AND ALSO FOR OTHER STARS THAT WE HAVE...........

TORONTO, CANADA

Khayet very nicely said.

ASHOOR

to answer ur question Ashoor. janan sawa is NOT a legend, and niether any of our assyrian singers...to be a legend the singer should know the SCALES, NOTES and should be able to play an instrument and should be able to sing all kinna styles out there. Ashur sargis plays guitar, but he only sings one specific style. he can not sing our traditional style which is BAYAT (the musicians here know what im talking about). and someone said that janan sawa copies kordish and turkish. well evan aggasi copies PERSIAN, SARGON GABRIEL copies turish too. i know cause im a musician myself.
so therefore, none of our assyrian singers r legends, they are all entertainers with different styles...

harpband2002 said:
to answer ur question Ashoor. janan sawa is NOT a legend, and niether any of our assyrian singers...to be a legend the singer should know the SCALES, NOTES and should be able to play an instrument and should be able to sing all kinna styles out there. Ashur sargis plays guitar, but he only sings one specific style. he can not sing our traditional style which is BAYAT (the musicians here know what im talking about). and someone said that janan sawa copies kordish and turkish. well evan aggasi copies PERSIAN, SARGON GABRIEL copies turish too. i know cause im a musician myself.
so therefore, none of our assyrian singers r legends, they are all entertainers with different styles...

Ok...a lil overboard there buddy??????? I think ur reading wayyyyy too into the question...its allin fun.... calm down...

I think the question is asking whether or not Janan Sawa will be looked at as a great singer for the assyrian community in 10/20 years.....and i think YES ... he will..... He's awesome.....

In my opinion, Legend status is all about career longevity, popularity and quality of music......and Janan has all three..... so props to him and his Lengendary status.... lol...  :yourock: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

Ok...a lil overboard there buddy??????? I think ur reading wayyyyy too into the question...its allin fun.... calm down...
I think the question is asking whether or not Janan Sawa will be looked at as a great singer for the assyrian community in 10/20 years...

the question was IS JANAN SAWA A LEGEND...not janan sawa will be looked at as a great singer.
i love janan sawa and hes awsome. we played with him so many times, and i enjoy playing for him and munadhel tomika very much.. but in my openion no one is a legend. he will be remembered, but not a legend.

I am not a fan of Janan Sawa and nor do i hate him as i do not know him only his music! but i do not reffer him as a legend. His music dose not make sence, he copies music from turkish and kurish like other members have posted. He is a very old man and dances with girls 10 to 20 years younger than him as if he is a player, come on bro your like in ur 40s or 50s don't act like a player, hes old and will always be old. The only Legend is Evin Agassi, now here's a voice i would call of a legend and the king will always be Beba. These 2 artists have stolen the thunder of the Middle East & beyond with their music. Janan Sawa is no where close to becoming a king or legend of Assyrian music. So my answer to this post is (NO) Janan Sawa is not a legend.

Not at all. No disrespect to him though. That title should go for Evin Agassi or Linda George. Chaldeans may have a different opinion, since music is mostly in that dialect.

His songs are very Kurdish and Turkish inspired. If you listen to them from afar you'd think they're Kurdish. He came across as a "foreign" Assyrian singer to me. Walter Aziz did too, but at least he refrained from using Turkish/Kurdish melodies (and I really respect him).

No he's NOT a legend... Not even close to be anywhere in that category. I totally agree that he has a place and purpose...You wouldn't want to play Ashur's songs in a wedding. I mean you could but eventually you want that sheikhani and khiga and so on and so forth. Janan serves that purpose very well. All I hear is zourna/Turkish/Arabic strings without much creativity. He's no inspiration to me at all. How many songs does he have that can actually be arranged and played with a real orchestra?

If you disagree, please do post his best 5 songs. I would love to check out their melodic and harmonic content.

Ashur IS a LEGEND indeed! This man has real musical content for sure.

Sam CA said:
No he's NOT a legend... Not even close to be anywhere in that category. I totally agree that he has a place and purpose...You wouldn't want to play Ashur's songs in a wedding. I mean you could but eventually you want that sheikhani and khiga and so on and so forth. Janan serves that purpose very well. All I hear is zourna/Turkish/Arabic strings without much creativity. He's no inspiration to me at all. How many songs does he have that can actually be arranged and played with a real orchestra?

If you disagree, please do post his best 5 songs. I would love to check out their melodic and harmonic content.

Ashur IS a LEGEND indeed! This man has real musical content for sure.
Very well said.

My only favourite Janan song is Zerineh from his 1987 album. And it's still quite Kurdish influenced.

Neon said:
... Zerineh from his 1987 album....

Just checked it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVblv11e8pY

Yep! Basically a kurdish song. The main melody is 8 bars long and gets repeated over and over for like 5 minutes. Entire song comes down to this: 0:36 - 0:48

It's probably a fun folk song so obviously you don't expect an extensive melody from the original idea....but that's exactly when artistry and musicianship comes in. It's what you can do with that melody.
I don't really see a difference between his party songs and album recordings. I'm not trying to offend anyone though...Just thinking out loud.

Sam CA said:
Just checked it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVblv11e8pY

Yep! Basically a kurdish song. The main melody is 8 bars long and gets repeated over and over for like 5 minutes. Entire song comes down to this: 0:36 - 0:48

It's probably a fun folk song so obviously you don't expect an extensive melody from the original idea....but that's exactly when artistry and musicianship comes in. It's what you can do with that melody.
I don't really see a difference between his party songs and album recordings. I'm not trying to offend anyone though...Just thinking out loud.
It does use a looped chord progression. But I gotta that its chords are really interesting, reminiscent of the Dorian mode. The song continuously alters between D major chord and D minor at the beginning of its verses (common in Assyrian music for some reason, simultaneously altering the minor fourth chord to a major chord), where it then ultimately goes back to the root key of A minor. It's like Dorian mode with added "colour" (since A Dorian doesn't have an F major chord).

Cascade said:
I gotta say that I do like Min Pumakh, Min Pumy by Janan Sawa.

It doesn't sound Kurdish at all. It sounds more Assyrian with a bit of western. His best song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIt0g993cCY

Don't forget that it's hard being a song-writer, composer, AND a singer all in one person. It's more cost effective to just make Assyrian versions of folk songs and use them for khigga remixes than it is to make actual, legit Assyrian music.

For Assyrians to truly shine in creativity and develop our native music, we need to create a market for that then. We need to create a market for original, Assyrian songs that can be remixed for khigga or whatever.

Back