Is it the time to return to our homeland ?

Shahin

ISIS executed 3 of our people, they've been not a single article about it, despite the remaining 200+ captive from the Khabour and the 200+ from Qarytayn...
I'm more and more convinced that we urgently need to return in big numbers to our homeland.
The West definitely don't give sh*it about minorities, especially Christians and indigenous ones.
The more we live in the West, the more we'll be passive...

Plus, I personaly think that our people is less nationalistic that it was after the Seyfo, take our people from Iraq, the majority have left Iraq, the Chaldean Catholic Church just insist on being a good catholic and doesn't care about nationalism, it result that our people there just emigrate because they can be Christian everywhere...
Currently our people from Nineveh live in tents (despite that the winter is coming... ), our people in Syria is fighting for its survival...

Should we return to Urmia, Tur'Abdin or even Hakkari and start repopulate those area ?
Or Should we return in big number and fight in Syria or Iraq just like the Jews did for Israel ?
Our parents left our homeland because of Muslim persecution toward non muslims, now Muslim are coming to Europe in big numbers...
many areas in Syria/Iraq are now depopulated, isn't it a chance for us to get back what belong to us ?

Shahin said:
ISIS executed 3 of our people, they've been not a single article about it, despite the remaining 200+ captive from the Khabour and the 200+ from Qarytayn...
I'm more and more convinced that we urgently need to return in big numbers to our homeland.
The West definitely don't give sh*it about minorities, especially Christians and indigenous ones.
The more we live in the West, the more we'll be passive...

Plus, I personaly think that our people is less nationalistic that it was after the Seyfo, take our people from Iraq, the majority have left Iraq, the Chaldean Catholic Church just insist on being a good catholic and doesn't care about nationalism, it result that our people there just emigrate because they can be Christian everywhere...
Currently our people from Nineveh live in tents (despite that the winter is coming... ), our people in Syria is fighting for its survival...

Should we return to Urmia, Tur'Abdin or even Hakkari and start repopulate those area ?
Or Should we return in big number and fight in Syria or Iraq just like the Jews did for Israel ?
Our parents left our homeland because of Muslim persecution toward non muslims, now Muslim are coming to Europe in big numbers...
many areas in Syria/Iraq are now depopulated, isn't it a chance for us to get back what belong to us ?

Yes and we can considering...

1. Hakkari is actually empty! There were Kurds living in it after Seyfo but they left afterwards.
2. We should take advantage of the situation in Turkey to go to Tur Abdin considering it's safe for now.
3. In the case of Urmia, it's more stable since Iran has been restabilized.

We have the Syriac Orthodox church and Nestorian church of the East rising with nationalism. We need to get the Chaldean Catholic Church to pick up the slack more now.

Those of us who grew up in the west will not be going back, unfortunately. There is a chance however that the many Assyrians who were displaced only the last couple of years can go back. They grew up in Iraq/Syria and were forced out of their homelands, they have not come accustomed to this modern first-world lifestyle yet and I think they would want to go back if the areas are stable even if the other option is to go to Europe.

Joe25 said:
Those of us who grew up in the west will not be going back, unfortunately. There is a chance however that the many Assyrians who were displaced only the last couple of years can go back. They grew up in Iraq/Syria and were forced out of their homelands, they have not come accustomed to this modern first-world lifestyle yet and I think they would want to go back if the areas are stable even if the other option is to go to Europe.

What if those who grew up in the west forced themselves to it?

It's time for the first Assyrian Aliyah

Look at what Israel does - http://www.jewishagency.org/first-steps/program/8661

The only way for West-born Assyrians to move is to give them an incentive.

No matter how good the incentive, nobody wants to move/live in a warzone

First objective is to secure the area and make sure it's secured.

After that, they need a reason to stay. That's where a good economy and stable country comes in.

Then, once all that is done and finalized, we invite Assyrians of the West through programs.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think it is a bad idea to ask people to go back to the Middle-East for the sake of nationalistic purposes. A lot of Assyrians in the west have stable families and careers, and going back would mean going to a war zone, a place that lacks infrastructure, and a place where they can be persecuted for being minorities.

The diaspora being f**cked up, it is difficult to organize ourselves...
We should have one organization with only one goal: return to our homeland, the jews had one, they bought lands, founded factories to help Jews from Europe and  install them in British Palestine mandate.

Kelba said:
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think it is a bad idea to ask people to go back to the Middle-East for the sake of nationalistic purposes. A lot of Assyrians in the west have stable families and careers, and going back would mean going to a war zone, a place that lacks infrastructure, and a place where they can be persecuted for being minorities.

Jews were in the same situations, they were a lot wealthier than us and this encouraged them to return to their homeland.
Even if today, Europe and America are stable, this can not be sure in the future, considering the wave of immigrants/muslims arriving in Europe...

Kelba said:

That's why I said we need to create a safe place first.

Yeah but Israel had a huge backing from the west from the very start, and we don't. Israel was pretty much immediately invaded, but they had arms and money from the west. For us, we would be going into a pretty geographically tough place with lots of potential enemies, and I doubt we would have western backing like Israel did. We'd have to team up with some other ethnic groups and make close allies pretty quickly to survive

Kelba said:
Yeah but Israel had a huge backing from the west from the very start, and we don't. Israel was pretty much immediately invaded, but they had arms and money from the west. For us, we would be going into a pretty geographically tough place with lots of potential enemies, and I doubt we would have western backing like Israel did. We'd have to team up with some other ethnic groups and make close allies pretty quickly to survive

Well think, how do we get Western backing? How did Israel in the first place get Western Backing?

We don't need to team up with anybody. All we need is a country to back us...

The main issue here is that we're too comfy in the West and Jews in Israel are actually complaining about this against Jews in the USA.

Saying that they're more American than Jewish.

For one thing, Russia and China can be very good backers if we can secure their backing...

Another thing, we need to secure the backing of Armenia and Iran. If possible, our best way to Western backing is if we get backing from Israel.

I guess the easy way is invite America to park a base or some patriot missiles in your backyard, and no one will touch you xD

Kelba said:

The children of Baba Abrahim have been kicked out of nearly every European country numerous times (about 49). So no they did not have huge backing from the west from the start. They've had a huge backing recently (with America) since the Republicans want every prophecy in the Bible to be fulfilled and one of those prophecies happens to be Israel being born again. 

But doesn't the Bible prophecy about Assyria being born again?

"In that day there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrians will come into Egypt and the Egyptians into Assyria, and the Egyptians will worship with the Assyrians. In that day Israel will be the third party with Egypt and Assyria, a blessing in the midst of the earth, whom the LORD of hosts has blessed, saying, "Blessed is Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel My inheritance."  Isaiah 19:23-25

So advertise that particular quote and pretend the others don't exist.

It doesn't matter, I'm writing a book on this anyways. I've gotten the Foreword and Regarding Others chapters finished.

My outline is finished with all the advice and suggestions I could make.

The book will be somewhat short. It'll probably be maybe 50-60 pages?

We must also consider the levels of poverty in the small villages in Syria, Iraq, Iran and even Turkey. There is obviously no internet or smart phones, MAYBE televisions. What about the essentials, do our people have clean running water, electricity, nearby hospitals and transportation? What about police or atleast some level of security? The danger as christians cannot be denied either.

When the jews took over Palestine they made it a lot more liveable too which encouraged Jews all over the world to move over. My point is that the severity in the change of life style would be far too much for Assyrians in the west.

Joe25 said:
We must also consider the levels of poverty in the small villages in Syria, Iraq, Iran and even Turkey. There is obviously no internet or smart phones, MAYBE televisions. What about the essentials, do our people have clean running water, electricity, nearby hospitals and transportation? What about police or atleast some level of security? The danger as christians cannot be denied either.

When the jews took over Palestine they made it a lot more liveable too which encouraged Jews all over the world to move over. My point is that the severity in the change of life style would be far too much for Assyrians in the west.

The change of life style depends on where you return: if you return currently in Syria sure that would be a huge change of life style but if you choose Turkey, Iraq or Iran the gap will not be that huge...
Example, this guy born and grew up in Switzerland, he's now in Tur'Abdin, and he still managed to use twitter despite the tensions in south-east Turkey...

It's not like we have no people left in our homeland, we still have plenty in Iraq, some in Turkey and Iran, and still a lot in Syria.
With that in mind we can secure basic needs for those who choose to return. An organisation should be set up and send every 6 month 5-10 people to our homeland, something like that...
Moreover as indigenous people we are eligible to perceive fund from UN to 'save our culture'.

I want to go to Iraq someday,if you guys ever get your shit together,I will visit as a tourist.

Shahin said:
The change of life style depends on where you return: if you return currently in Syria sure that would be a huge change of life style but if you choose Turkey, Iraq or Iran the gap will not be that huge...
Example, this guy born and grew up in Switzerland, he's now in Tur'Abdin, and he still managed to use twitter despite the tensions in south-east Turkey...

It's not like we have no people left in our homeland, we still have plenty in Iraq, some in Turkey and Iran, and still a lot in Syria.
With that in mind we can secure basic needs for those who choose to return. An organisation should be set up and send every 6 month 5-10 people to our homeland, something like that...
Moreover as indigenous people we are eligible to perceive fund from UN to 'save our culture'.

My father is from Midyat and my mother from a village nearby. Midyat is a beautiful ancient city but hasn't changed much compared to the 60s-80s when my parents grew up in Tur Abdin. I've spoken to them a lot about what life was like living there. It's very interesting but a completely different world to me.

Joe25 said:

If Jews made palestine livable, how can we not make our lands liveable as well?

Jews aren't some super-human race. All they did was work together for the sake of survival.

They told each other the only way to survive was to make a country for themselves.

Same situation can now be applied to Assyrians.

mrzurnaci said:
If Jews made palestine livable, how can we not make our lands liveable as well?

Jews aren't some super-human race. All they did was work together for the sake of survival.

They told each other the only way to survive was to make a country for themselves.

Same situation can now be applied to Assyrians.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. The amount of power and influence the Jewish people have over the world let alone superpowers cannot be compared to any other small nation of people, Assyrians aren't even remotely close to that.

But I do think you have a point. Look at the Armenians for example. They were a small opressed people who accomplished a lot with hard work and intelligence, for one how they build up their country and got so many countries to acknowledge the genocide.

I see a pattern though. What do the Jews and Armenians have in common that we lack? Strong unity.

Joe25 said:
My father is from Midyat and my mother from a village nearby. Midyat is a beautiful ancient city but hasn't changed much compared to the 60s-80s when my parents grew up in Tur Abdin. I've spoken to them a lot about what life was like living there. It's very interesting but a completely different world to me.

Mydiat is, compared to other villages from Tur'Abdin, far more developed. It have shops, hotels, streets etc.
Other villages have no streets, no shops, no hotels, nothing, just our empty parents home.

Armenians and jews are very good example. Armenians, despite having suffered a lot during the Seyfo, they kill Otomans leader during nemesis operations.
But let's not forget that Armenians were backed by Russia and the West.

Neta1991 said:
If u stop care about what other people call themslves then we could say that we are already united......

Then what do we call ourselves for the nokhraye/nokhroye?

Armenians call themselves Armenians to non-Armenians...

There will be more misery for our people if we were to return there. More deaths, for one. These cities are still not part of our nation. And it will take a lot of time before they become our autonomy.

Back