• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Is it human nature??

Nore

As an online community, it is safe to say that many of you have met people you have gotten along with and others that you have not.

I would LOVE if some of you would help out and answer the following questions dealing with interaction between people online & in the 'real' world.

A) Have you formed opinions on members based on comments made by themselves?

B) Have you formed opinions on people based on comments made by other members?

C) Does your online persona reflect that of your offlne persona?

D) Have you ever had issues with a person you have solely known online?

E) Do you believe that people feel more free to speak in an online forum than they are in reality?

I'm doing a paper on Internet culture and if any of you can answer truthfully it would help a lot!

Thanks..

L33tKevin

Nore said:
As an online community, it is safe to say that many of you have met people you have gotten along with and others that you have not.

I would LOVE if some of you would help out and answer the following questions dealing with interaction between people online & in the 'real' world.

A) Have you formed opinions on members based on comments made by themselves? Yep.

B) Have you formed opinions on people based on comments made by other members?Nope

C) Does your online persona reflect that of your offlne persona?I'm a bit more open with my thoughts online, but its 90% the same

D) Have you ever had issues with a person you have solely known online?Not, issues, but extended arguements

E) Do you believe that people feel more free to speak in an online forum than they are in reality?Sure do

I'm doing a paper on Internet culture and if any of you can answer truthfully it would help a lot!

Thanks..

Gl with your paper.

AssyrianPrince21

~~~ Yes... of course.... If someone online states that they're racist for example, or uses racial comments..then i conclude that they're racist... is that what you mean? :hmmm:

~~~Its hard NOT to take what OTHER ppl say about others and somewhat think about it...rumors always spread and stuff is alwayss being talked... i guess thats why Gossip Magazines are so popular.. :hmmm: .... I DO however wait till I meet or talk to the person personally before forming a final opinion.... :mrgreen:

~~~Yes...Definately..... I never understoood why someone would put up a front online and be TOTALLLY different online.... ive met a few ppl like that... and i just find it weird.... :bangin:

~~~Of course.... im sick of the ppl that say its "JUST ONLINE" ... yes.. we're just on the computer.... but to me...its just like arguing with someone over the phone.... If im disagreeing with u.... and u disagree with me..and we get into a debate.... then thats what it is..a DEBATE/DISAGREEMENT.!! lol... im not just gonna brush it off and not confront it because "ITS JUST ONLINE" ... plusss... its not like thesee ppl are random ppl ill never meet.... they're ppl i will potentially meet or have already met... :mrgreen:

E) Do you believe that people feel more free to speak in an online forum than they are in reality?

~~~Yes...I DO believe some ppl are more out-spoken online than in person.... I like to believe that im the same online and offline...... but there are some ppl that ive met that are diff offline than on... ... and its not necessarily a bad thing... they're just more out-going i guess .. or talk more online than when u meet them in person... :mrgreen:

I liked these questions Nora...... :grindance:.... made me think.. lol.. :lol:

Had

Nore said:
yes

yes

no, especially when interacting in a new place (forum/mb/etc). They don't know the real me until we talk (online) for a long time, and never with general members in forums.

yes

yes esp. if some1 comes from a traditional culture, they can be more relaxed to air all their views online than reality w/out worrying about ppl in their community judging them

BeLLaMaFIa

yes i have.. i mean how can u not?? epecially when members tend to talk about themselves a lot and wat tehy enjoy or what they don't liek then u can't help but for an opinion on them.. :mrgreen:

yes i have..but only when i know that the person is a reliable source and nhot heard it second or third hand..if it's something serious that affects me then i form my opinion on them..but if ti's somethign that has nothing to do w/ me which has happened a few times i dont really care for it. .. i can still think that certain person is wrong but it wouldnt bother me as much as if it was about me.. omg i make no sense :lol:

yes it does.. i've met a ton of ppl from avn.. from all over the country..and only once have i been told that im not the same.. :mrgreen:

yes i have.. u can only get pushed so far.. and like don said who cares if ur online..that doesnt mean the ppl arent real.. :mrgreen:

oh of course! especially the ppl who can't back up anything they say online, offline.. ur basically hiding behind ur comp screen.so ucan say anyting.. i think ppl take advantage of that.. and since u can make up names and all this info about urself ur free to say anyting u want.. :mrgreen:

SlitUrAnkles

Nore said:
A) Have you formed opinions on members based on comments made by themselves? yes

B) Have you formed opinions on people based on comments made by other members? hmm i try not to but im sure i have

C) Does your online persona reflect that of your offlne persona? yup

D) Have you ever had issues with a person you have solely known online? sure have...u can find idiots everywhere

E) Do you believe that people feel more free to speak in an online forum than they are in reality? to a certain extent ya and with cetain "topics"...but with me it depends more on the individual and how comfortable i feel with them