Iraq vs. Spain

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
Egypt inspire Iraq for mission impossible against Spain

BLOEMFONTEIN, South Africa, June 16 (Reuters) - Iraq have been inspired for their mission impossible against Spain on Wednesday by Egypt?s superb performance against Brazil in their opening match of the Confederations Cup.

Egypt came from 3-1 down to score twice in a minute against the five times world champions on Monday and were seconds from a shock 3-3 draw before conceding a late penalty and losing 4-3.

Iraq face a task more monumental than Egypt?s appeared to be when they play the European champions at the Free State Stadium.

Spain are unbeaten in 33 matches since November 2006 and will equal the all-time FIFA record of 14 successive wins if they beat Iraq in their second Group A game (1400 GMT).

The Spaniards beat New Zealand 5-0 in their opener and will reach the semi-finals with another victory. Even if Iraq lose they could still reach the last four from a group that also includes South Africa who meet New Zealand later on Wednesday.

Iraq?s Serbian-born coach Bora Milutinovic, whose negative tactics helped secure a 0-0 draw against the South Africans in their opening match at Ellis Park on Sunday, said Egypt?s performance had inspired his squad and they will fear no-one.

MORALE LIFTED

Milutinovic, in charge of his eighth national side for only a month, told the eve-of-match news conference:

?The morale of my players and the whole country has been lifted by what Egypt achieved. OK in the end they narrowly lost, but they played some fantastic football?and I have a team that can do the same. We will try and follow their example.

?Iraqis never have fear. We will face them with pride, with the right attitude, controlling our emotions.

?Spain are one of the best teams in the world. They have always promised but never delivered and now they have a great generation of players with superior talent who can win things.

?They won the Euros last year playing some great football, and people like them which you don?t get very often. They seem to be perfect.?

Milutinovic also said he would consider playing even more defensively than he did against hosts South Africa if he thought it would bring his team success.

?If I thought it would ensure us a point I would be happy to do that but you always go into a match wanting to win. It will be hard against Spain but look at what Egypt did. You must always have belief.?

Spain Expecting a Tough Test against Iraq

Despite their 5-0 demolition of New Zealand on Sunday in their opening match of the 2009 Confederations Cup, Spain are not taking victory for granted against Iraq. 

The European champions will clinch their place in the semi-final with a victory in Bloemfontein on Wednesday afternoon.

In their opening game, Iraq held hosts South Africa to a goalless draw and Spain are expecting a tough match.

?After their conflict over the years, it was tremendous that they won the Asian Cup,? Xabi Alonso told reporters at the pre-match press conference at the Free State Stadium.

?Just this morning we watched a video of Iraq. We could sense they are very compact on the pitch and that team spirit drives them forward and that is going to be a tough game.?

?Just like in the match against New Zealand, it will be important to score early and we hope we can do that again,? added the Liverpool star.

Carlos Puyol has warned the Asian champions not to focus too much on Spain?s star striker Fernando Torres who already has three goals to his name in this competition. 

?No-one can deny he is one of the best strikers in the world but he is not the only one we have. We have lots of good players in different positions,? said the Barcelona defender.

John Duerden, Goal.com

Bloemfontein, South Africa

The only way for Iraq to do any damage is to start the game very physical and get into Spanish players' heads. Make them think that it is not as easy to beat them as they thought.

If Iraq manages to hold the Spanish from scoring for the first half, there is a very high chance tha Iraq could escape with a decent loss or even a tie, and if that is the case, Iraq could very well make it out of the group.

Wishful thinking? we will find out.

ASHOOR

I am at work, and cant watch the game. Can someone update us, how Iraq did in the first half? it is amazing they were able to keep it 0-0.

ASHOOR

Iraq are playing a 0-5-5 formation, with 11 men behind the ball at times. Spain have had about 1-2 chances, but other then that, it's a good defensive preformance from Iraq, even though Spain do look off their game.

davidb said:
Iraq are playing a 0-5-5 formation, with 11 men behind the ball at times. Spain have had about 1-2 chances, but other then that, it's a good defensive preformance from Iraq, even though Spain do look off their game.

Oh not bad at all, but eventually Spain will score. As long as they don't score more than 3.

I hope by now Iraq has frustrated Spain enough.

If the miracle happens and this ends up 0-0, Iraq and Spain will both have the best defensive record in the tournament, with 0 goals against.

Thanks David, keep it coming. I am getting my updates from Twitter, livescore.com and soccernet.com

Justin.TV is not working :(

ASHOOR

Spain have Fabregas, Iniesta, Riera and Silva on the bench. :)

Iraq will eventually tire, especially the midfield who haven't stopped running and chasing. It's all up to Spain.

davidb said:
Spain have Fabregas, Iniesta, Riera and Silva on the bench. :)

Iraq will eventually tire, especially the midfield who haven't stopped running and chasing. It's all up to Spain.

oh, de mor hatkha! lol.

But still good enough.

ASHOOR

It is 1-0 for Spain now, with only OT to go.

Great result for Iraq really, even though Spain didn't play all their regulars.

Let us hope for a 0-0 tie between NZ and SA.

ASHOOR

Not bad at all. I was hoping for anything below 4-0 (t0 be better than NZ)

And I am also happy that Torres didn't score. Hoping for Kaka to score 2 tomorrow to lead all scorers.

Good for Iraq. Great defense and goalkeeping so far. I am liking Qasid more than Nour Sabry, as good as Nour was.

It is still early to predict, but if Iraq can manage to beat NZ, and South Africa to tie today and lose to Spain, would be great.

I am just afraid Spain will rest even more of their regulars against South Africa and give them an easy match.

ASHOOR

Actually, now that I think about it, Spain want to win at least two more games to beat the record for most games without a loss, so I don;t think they will want to jeoparadize their chances by resting their regulars against SA.

ASHOOR

R O B I N said:
I just want to see Brazil vs Iraq oh man what will happen

That would be A M A Z I N G!!!

If what I described above was to happen, it is very likely Iraq will meet Brazil. If not, maybe Italy. If not, maybe the USA. You see, any of these match-ups would be intriguing and exciting.

Brazil would destroy Iraq, unlike Spain.

ASHOOR

Well lets just hope what you have said happens so we can see that match up

I would not mind seeing Iraq beat Italy

Neither would I actually. Can you imagine what would happen in Woodbridge, knowing how our people view Italians here? lol.

ASHOOR

R O B I N said:
Anyway to watch this game online ?

For you Canadians CBC is live streaming every game.  I'm sure that's the most reliable.  Unfortunately for us down here the CBC stream is limited to Canada only.

I missed the game too but caught the highlights.  Spain looked like they controlled most of it from what I saw and it was only a matter of time before they broke through.  They had some other nice chances that were either barely wide or saved.  Not a bad showing for Iraq, but they really ought to try scoring something in this tournament.  Maybe they're saving it all up for New Zealand. haha That would be sweet.

Looks like Bora's plans of just defending against Spain worked, we all know what Spain is capable of, I still think Iraqi could have managed a draw against Spain despite playing so defensively, there was chances here n there in which Iraq could have scored, one mistake and one goal that was all that Spain needed.

Merengues said:
Looks like Bora's plans of just defending against Spain worked, we all know what Spain is capable of, I still think Iraqi could have managed a draw against Spain despite playing so defensively, there was chances here n there in which Iraq could have scored, one mistake and one goal that was all that Spain needed.

You really think Iraq had a chance at a draw? You must be kidding. Spain played on 60% ( why 100% Iraq has a rubbish team). If they played on 100% they would crush Iraq.

GodismyJudge said:
You really think Iraq had a chance at a draw? You must be kidding. Spain played on 60% ( why 100% Iraq has a rubbish team). If they played on 100% they would crush Iraq.

Spain didn't play on 60%.  Iraq played a quality defensive game and they executed it very well. 

Back