• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

History of the Assyrians. Who are the Assyrians?

mrzurnaci

Nemrud said:
Noone care about unity here?......

we do but why not just use all 3 versions of writing?

syriac___aramaic_diagram_chart_by_assyrianic-d7xqkjf.png

mrzurnaci said:
we do but why not just use all 3 versions of writing?

syriac___aramaic_diagram_chart_by_assyrianic-d7xqkjf.png

I actually learnt how to read and write in Assyrian pretty quickly with the help of your chart :p. I read pretty slowly though and I make a lot of spelling errors, but I'm slowly getting better.

Nimrod91

Our history begins with the formation of assyria, but we are descendants from those people, their history are our history too, l mean, assyrians are a mixed of sumerians, akkadians etc.

Cascade

Our history begins with the formation of assyria, but we are descendants from those people, their history are our history too, l mean, assyrians are a mixed of sumerians, akkadians etc.
True, but I would go further and say that modern Assyrians have other mixes as well. It sounds more realistic because us being a mix of just Akkadians and Sumerians is unrealistically "straightforward" and simplistic in nature.

For the record, our ancient society was a melting pot. We only became an endogamous ethnic group in the 1st century AD after adopting Christianity. Before that, we mixed with our neighbours to some degree as our empire absorbed and annexed other surrounding kingdoms. Whilst we are mostly Assyrian/Akkadian/Babylonian, we probably do have some Hittite, Hebrew/Judean, Persian, Armenian (Urartu), Phoenician, Median in us, etc.

The Hittites for sure mostly absorbed into us, some modern Syrians and eastern Anatolians/Turks. We are as much as Hittites as we are Sumerians, but Assyrians are too Iraqi-centric and wherefore they would only include Sumerians as being our pure ancestors when they're really not. Even Iraqi Arabs and Gulf Arabs would have some Sumerian in them. But I digress...