Have you had a DNA test regarding ancestry?

Cascade

If so, what were your results? Do you know OTHER Assyrians who did a DNA test? Please share their results too!

I don't think the DNA test will tell your actual ethnicity, but rather the region(s) of the world where your ancestors came from. If that's so, then I guess I will see Turkey, Iraq, Iran and Syria there. And that will be a waste of money, since I would expect these results anyway (as Assyrians have been there historically)...

If I see the UK, Greece, Italy, South Asia and/or Africa on the list, then maybe the $400 will be worth it...(I want to surprised)

privatebenjamin said:
If so, what were your results? Do you know OTHER Assyrians who did a DNA test? Please share their results too!

I don't think the DNA test will tell your actual ethnicity, but rather the region(s) of the world where your ancestors came from. If that's so, then I guess I will see Turkey, Iraq, Iran and Syria there. And that will be a waste of money, since I would expect these results anyway (as Assyrians have been there historically)...

If I see the UK, Greece, Italy, South Asia and/or Africa on the list, then maybe the $400 will be worth it...(I want to surprised)
no i havent, not worth just as you say they will just tell you which location you are from. And it will probably be iraq iran turkey

privatebenjamin said:
On my phone, so I can't post them, but I plotted in Lake Van. Yes, I know several that have. The ones that used the same third party sources plotted in SE Turkey, N Iraq, and NE Syria, but it's kind of an incomplete picture since there weren't enough of "pure" church affiliates among us. What I mean by that, is that there are VERY small differences between the Assyrians who follow different Rites. I think it has more to do with actual geography, but once again, there isn't enough data to prove this.

No, it won't, but it will give the Raw Data to use in Third Party Sources, which is why it's of value. It will also tell you your mtDNA and yDNA, plus you'll be able to compare with other people.

Our ethnic group was endogamous for the most part, so you'll probably only see Armenians match with you, and to a much, much lesser extent, Lebanese and Georgians, of which can actually be part Assyrian or Armenian.

I read somewhere modern kurds and jews share ancestery with us but we don't with them, they have connection to us but we don't , by that I mean , we had sex with their women and they passed down our children to their tribes and not ours

Asshur said:
I read somewhere modern kurds and jews share ancestery with us but we don't with them, they have connection to us but we don't , by that I mean , we had sex with their women and they passed down our children to their tribes and not ours

They're connection is because medieval nomadic Kurds would often raid Assyrians and Armenians and steal women...

thus Kurds have a connection to us but we don't have a connection to them as we've never interacted with their women...

How many Kurdish women do know married to Assyrian guys? Are they even allowed?

Asshur said:

No they don't. It's stupid propaganda, that has been disapproved by genetics already. The only reason some Kurds would be similar to Assyrians or Armenians, is because of the ones kidnapped during the genocide. If they're hardly similar to us, they're definitely not close to Jews.

mrzurnaci said:
They're connection is because medieval nomadic Kurds would often raid Assyrians and Armenians and steal women...

thus Kurds have a connection to us but we don't have a connection to them as we've never interacted with their women...

I know none, my local priest told me a story about a guy who wanted to marry a kurdish woman, both Assyrians in Midyat and Kurds didn't allow it, it ended up with a small civilwar in Midyat (tur'abdin's center) thus resulting with west Assyrians moving to the Swedish and German diaspora and Midyat starting to have it's indigenous inhabitants as minorities

Asshur said:
I know none, my local priest told me a story about a guy who wanted to marry a kurdish woman, both Assyrians in Midyat and Kurds didn't allow it, it ended up with a small civilwar in Midyat (tur'abdin's center) thus resulting with west Assyrians moving to the Swedish and German diaspora and Midyat starting to have it's indigenous inhabitants as minorities

that makes no sense, if those Kurds AND Assyrians were against it, why would it cause a small civil war?

From what it sounds like, Assyrians and Kurds were on the same side through their rejection of the marriage proposal...

Kebabs?s said:
do we even want to marry their hairy women?

I only know of one Kurdish man/Assyrian woman couple. He converted to Christianity and they live in America. Otherwise, I don't know how often it happens. Some Assyrians act as backward/trashy as Kurds so I'm not surprised there are some mixed marriages.

elevated said:
On my phone, so I can't post them, but I plotted in Lake Van. Yes, I know several that have. The ones that used the same third party sources plotted in SE Turkey, N Iraq, and NE Syria, but it's kind of an incomplete picture since there weren't enough of "pure" church affiliates among us. What I mean by that, is that there are VERY small differences between the Assyrians who follow different Rites. I think it has more to do with actual geography, but once again, there isn't enough data to prove this.
What do you mean on your phone? They sent you your results on the phone or did you manually find your ancestry on it (like, on an app)?

privatebenjamin said:
What do you mean on your phone? They sent you your results on the phone or did you manually find your ancestry on it (like, on an app)?

Like, I'm on my phone lol. Most of the time I'm using this forum, I'm accessing it through my phone. My results were sent to me through the genetic company's website. I then downloaded the data and used it in third party sources for better interpretations.

elevated said:
Like, I'm on my phone lol. Most of the time I'm using this forum, I'm accessing it through my phone. My results were sent to me through the genetic company's website. I then downloaded the data and used it in third party sources for better interpretations.
Okay, lol, so what were your full results? Just Lake Van? Any other regions?

privatebenjamin said:
Okay, lol, so what were your full results? Just Lake Van? Any other regions?

No, why would I have any other regions? Only a very small minority of Assyrians mixed without outside groups before mass emigration, like a few of my cousins that are part Russian and Bulgarian. On top of that, the Middle East isn't studied as deeply as Europe is any genetics company. There is a "countries of ancestry" tool, but it's worthless for us, since we're stateless. One thing I learned though, is that Assyrians that have been living in Armenia for a long time now, are basically a quarter/half Armenian now genetically. I also learned about our proximity to other groups. Like Armenians are one of the most genetically similar groups to us, and not other "Semites" like some of the bible thumping idiots believe.

It also basically confirmed that I have Armenian ancestry on both sides of my family, hence why I plot in Van.

Anyway, I think you should take it! It's only like 100 bucks anyway.

Since the other thread went downhill with heated arguments and bickering, I think it's better if I can repost my results here (I started this thread anyway). One other reason is that the thread is now two pages, and people wouldn't be able to see the results posted on the first page. Other users who did the test may contribute to this thread with their DNA results.

I would hope the mod would close the other thread, and/or at least merge these two threads (excluding the disputations that were exchanged there). Anyway...

Neon said:
Since the other thread went downhill with heated arguments and bickering, I think it's better if I can repost my results here (I started this thread anyway). One other reason is that the thread is now two pages, and people wouldn't be able to see the results posted on the first page. Other users who did the test may contribute to this thread with their DNA results.

I would hope the mod would close the other thread, and/or at least merge these two threads (excluding the disputations that were exchanged there). Anyway...

How much did it cost you and how long did it take? I really want to carry out the test but, if it's too expensive then it's not worth it.

Googoo said:
How much did it cost you and how long did it take? I really want to carry out the test but, if it's too expensive then it's not worth it.

most DNA tests range from $100-$200

mrzurnaci said:

I know a Kurdish Muslim man who is married to an Assyrian Christian woman, it was so big there was even an article about it but I think it got deleted. lol.

Googoo said:
149$ (AUS). I did my test with AncestryDNA. It took 6 weeks for the results to come in (they'd appear in your online account). It may take longer or shorter for others (from as short as 4 weeks to as much as 8 weeks, broadly speaking).

You can also do it with 23andme, but they're vague and unspecific when it comes to the Middle East. If you're, say, Armenian or Algerian, they'd broadly count you as "Middle Eastern/North African".

AncestryDNA is more specific when it comes to Western Asia - They narrow it down to the Middle East, Caucasus, Persia/Turkey and North Africa. In some cases, they'd even put the Near East (perhaps if you're 99% Lebanese or Syrian).

For the Assyrians who done their DNA test, you should upload your raw data on Gedmatch and see how you can compare with others and what your specific lineages are (Eurogenes). :)

Here are my interesting results:

Back