Have you ever experienced racism?

Cascade

I personally haven't, but I do not doubt that other Assyrians would've gotten racist comments (from whites) for their darker skin and  "ethnic" look. After all, we do resemble Arabs and at times Latinos, and these people aren't that favoured when it comes to the white race  :lol:

Anyway, my relatives got some kind of covert (or passive) racism when they visited Germany. They told us that a lot of Germans were staring at them in an ungrateful, xenophobic manner.

Have you ever been a subject of racism? Or do you know any Assyrian who has?

NOTE: Let's exclude "racist" encounters with Arabs, Turks and Kurds (or Muslims in general). Now we do get hate from them a lot. But it isn't really racism per se. It's more of a geopolitical, national and/or religious discrimination. After all, we don't look that different from them, racially. :shades:

gee where do I begin lol?

It first happened during the start of the Iraq war in 2003.

Ironically, all the racism I experienced was by darker-skinned Hispanic and Black kids... Looking back, I excuse them because they were ghetto anyways.

What really caught my attention was how the school administration handled my case; they really did nothing about it other than give me detention for fighting back in self-defense...

From my perspective, the school administration was being politically correct by giving the "colored" kids a pass while I wasn't considered "colored" because I'm light skinned as my mother despite my dad having copper-colored skin from the Baghdad sun.

Hmm, yeah, ironically in my country.  :blink:
I speak a different language or dialect (to me, it's a language because no one understands us haha), have a different culture and we generally look different. I would always get sent back to the 'normal passport' line instead of the 'gcc' one because of how I look, lol until I show them my passport.

mrzurnaci said:
gee where do I begin lol?

It first happened during the start of the Iraq war in 2003.

Ironically, all the racism I experienced was by darker-skinned Hispanic and Black kids... Looking back, I excuse them because they were ghetto anyways.

What really caught my attention was how the school administration handled my case; they really did nothing about it other than give me detention for fighting back in self-defense...

From my perspective, the school administration was being politically correct by giving the "colored" kids a pass while I wasn't considered "colored" because I'm light skinned as my mother despite my dad having copper-colored skin from the Baghdad sun.
So they were racist to you because you were "whiter" than them? :p

Receive it from white Australians constantly. Get called Arab and a terrorist by almost everyone.

Cop the "you don't have a country" so many times as well it's not funny..

Bronit Omta said:
Receive it from white Australians constantly. Get called Arab and a terrorist by almost everyone.

Cop the "you don't have a country" so many times as well it's not funny.. this shit, this fucking shit every time

Bronit Omta said:

White Australians can be more racist than Americans. At least the scummy, white-prided Americans are exiled in the southern states. Whereas here, our racists are predominant in every large city.

Who are the people telling you that you don't have a country? White Australians? If so, tell them "well, you guys have a country (England) and youse are not living in it (then laugh in their faces)". Lol.

Bronit Omta said:
Usually call them convicts or inbreds which shuts them up lol
Hahaha...and their whiny Bogan accents. ew...

Btw I just came on that chat site. You were there, but just missed me. Lol

Neon said:
White Australians can be more racist than Americans. At least the scummy, white-prided Americans are exiled in the southern states. Whereas here, our racists are predominant in every large city.

Who are the people telling you that you don't have a country? White Australians? If so, tell them "well, you guys have a country (England) and youse are not living in it (then laugh in their faces)". Lol.

White south Africans are the worst.

Googoo said:
White south Africans are the worst.
Definitely. Followed by redneck Americans, Germans and white Australians.

I take that back, white Australians aren't that bad actually. We are still a much more friendly bunch than say Germans. Redneck Americans can be extremely and outspokenly racist. They would be even have spots in politics. Australia is at least "PC" on that part where we don't allow these kind of people in politics.

I cop more racism from Assyrians than non-Assyrians, simply because I choose to live in places not populated by Assyrians.  Vanuatu, Japan, Thailand and Darwin City (northern Australia) somehow makes me less Assyrian, even though I was born in Sydney and raised in Fairfield.  Next most racist group are the Jews who constantly tell me that I am nothing more than a Christian Arab.  Third are the Arabs who repeat what the Jews have said, only for me to remind them that it is a Zionist conspiracy and that they should know better than to believe Zio conspiracies.  Funnily enough, the Arabs stop when I mention Zio-Brainwashing.  After that, White Australians in Sydney, who also think I am an Arab.  These types burn down Lebanese Maronite churches whenever there is a major terrorist attack somewhere in the world.  I have never ever experienced racism in Darwin, nor Thailand or Vanuatu.  Japan, whilst I don't regard it as racist, has some politically incorrect ways, which don't always count against a "gaijin".  There are bars in Japan that will charge you less for being foreign and other bars that will not allow you in because you are foreign.  When I stood up to the office bully who was harrassing one of my Japanese co-workers, it was me who was kicked out of the job and not the office bully, because I had a country to go back to if I lose my job where as the "poor office bully" would have nowhere to go to.

People mentioned American racism.  When I visited in 2004, 3 years after 911, I was worried due to all the bad reports coming out of the USA.  When I showed my Australian passport, the immigration officials treated me like a rock star. 

Leave the enclave of Fairfield and you will meet many non-racist white Australians.  In 5 years, not experienced a whiff of racism in Darwin.

Crocodile Bani said:
Leave the enclave of Fairfield and you will meet many non-racist white Australians.  In 5 years, not experienced a whiff of racism in Darwin.
He's in Brisbane btw.

Yes, Anglo-Australians in the lower socio-economic areas (like Fairfield) are not the best people. It seems like they are exiled there. The most nicest people, which includes white Australians, are usually from around inner Sydney. They're friendly and laidback.

Neon said:
He's in Brisbane btw.

Yes, Anglo-Australians in the lower socio-economic areas (like Fairfield) are not the best people. It seems like they are exiled there. The most nicest people, which includes white Australians, are usually from around inner Sydney. They're friendly and laidback.

That is Sydney FC territory and this is when I become the racist.

Crocodile Bani said:
Jews who constantly tell me that I am nothing more than a Christian Arab.

I actually experienced that from a small handful of Jews my mother used to work with.

Jews seem to be really hateful against Arabs, likely because of the animosity between them.

Anyways, one of them calls my mother an Arab and I tell them that we're not Arab, we're Assyrians from Assyria.

The ignorant one replies "same sh**".

I lost my sh** and told him off saying "If I'm an Arab, you're a German convert to Judaism, fake Jew"

That sentence shut him up real nice.

mrzurnaci said:
I actually experienced that from a small handful of Jews my mother used to work with.

Jews seem to be really hateful against Arabs, likely because of the animosity between them.

Anyways, one of them calls my mother an Arab and I tell them that we're not Arab, we're Assyrians from Assyria.

The ignorant one replies "same sh**".

I lost my sh** and told him off saying "If I'm an Arab, you're a German convert to Judaism, fake Jew"

That sentence shut him up real nice.
Actually, you should've told him that he's an Arab, considering that Jews are Semites too, and, as you know, Jews look down upon Arabs. That would've hurt him more. Calling him a German probably didn't get to him much. People, non-Europeans especially, have a fascination with European ethnic groups. He probably got quiet because you didn't sound that offensive. Perhaps he liked being called a German. ;)

Nah, it's been chill my whole life lol. I live in Australia but I don't look Assyrian at all, maybe that's why? I've been mistaken for a European so many times.

Mr. Tambourine Man said:
Nah, it's been chill my whole life lol. I live in Australia but I don't look Assyrian at all, maybe that's why? I've been mistaken for a European so many times.
That's good to hear. But pretty unfair for those who look stereotypically Middle Eastern. Zhareh. Lol...

Back