• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Free Online Grammars/Dictionaries

Carlo

Active member
Below is a list of free online grammars and dictionaries for both the classical and modern dialect(s) in a wide variety of formats. If you have a link to one that is currently not listed below (or an alternate link to one already listed below, as links often suddenly stop working), please feel free to share and I will add it to the list. Should/when any links stop working, please let me know so I can remove them.

All entries are in [English] unless otherwise noted.

Classical Grammars:

Classical Dictionaries:

Modern Grammars:

Modern Dictionaries:

1 Thanks to ISay for the link
2 Thanks to dawidh for the link
3 Thanks to Liisa for the link
 

Zawoyo

New member
WOW WOW WOW AND WWOOOOWWW THATS SOOO COOL!!

THANK YOU CARLO THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!  :yourock:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
 

ISay

New member
To add to Carlo's wonderful list of online dictionaries, here is:  http://www.dukhrana.com/lexicon/BarBahlul/ (Note:  you'll need to be able to read Aramaic and Arabic to make use of this dictionary)

Also,  http://www.dukhrana.com/lexicon/Jennings/  (Note:  as with the above dictionary, you'll need to have some familiarity with the language to use the dictionary.  You can't simply type an English word and expect to get an Aramaic translation to it. As is common with dictionaries of the Semitic langauges, you must know the root consonants of a word (usually three) to be able to make use of them.)



 

ISay

New member
Here is another one to add to this list:

http://www.archive.org/details/TreasureOfTheSyriacLanguage02  (Volume Two)

This is Thomas Audo's Syriac to Syriac dictionary.  

Edit:  I had originally added Volume One without realizing that Carlo had already included it in the list.  Anyways, looks like Volume Two just recently became available as well.
 

Carlo

Active member
ISay said:
Here is another one to add to this list:

http://www.archive.org/details/TreasureOfTheSyriacLanguage02  (Volume Two)

This is Thomas Audo's Syriac to Syriac dictionary.  

Edit:  I had originally added Volume One without realizing that Carlo had already included it in the list.  Anyways, looks like Volume Two just recently became available as well.
Thanks, ISay. I was waiting for Volume Two to come out!
 

Haulley09

New member
Hi We are a Free Communication Class for English. We learn English and can German and Russian. Join as. Skype: fccf.en Oliver
 
Shlama!

I would be very grateful if anyone could send me a link for an English - Assyrian (Eastern) dictionary.  I've recently befriended an Assyrian gentleman online and I would really like to learn some appropriate words and phrases for conversation.

Basema raba.......
 

dawidh

New member
David Tappan Stoddard's Grammar of the modern Syriac language: as spoken in Oroomiah, Persia, and in Koordistan can be found here:
Link

Although it is not perfect, I think it is a good book for beginners trying to learn the modern grammar.  Of course it should be used in combination with other sources.
 

dawidh

New member
This online dictionary is also based off of the dictionary by Louis Costaz S.J.  It has English, French, and Arabic translations (like Costaz's original dictionary):
American Foundation for Syriac Studies

This is another online dictionary I came across.  It has English, Swedish, and Arabic translations:
Syriac Dictionary - Syrisk ordbok - قاموس سرياني

The online dictionary project by the Association Assyrophile de France and Dukhrana's online dictionaries are more polished and detailed than the two linked above.

Also the Association Assyrophile de France online dictionary, English/French one you have listed already, has Brazilian Portuguese and German translations also.  They have to be turned on from the "Configurate language and display" page.
 

Carlo

Active member
dawidh said:
This online dictionary is also based off of the dictionary by Louis Costaz S.J.  It has English, French, and Arabic translations (like Costaz's original dictionary):
American Foundation for Syriac Studies

This is another online dictionary I came across.  It has English, Swedish, and Arabic translations:
Syriac Dictionary - Syrisk ordbok - قاموس سرياني

The online dictionary project by the Association Assyrophile de France and Dukhrana's online dictionaries are more polished and detailed than the two linked above.

Also the Association Assyrophile de France online dictionary, English/French one you have listed already, has Brazilian Portuguese and German translations also.  They have to be turned on from the "Configurate language and display" page.
Thanks for the links, dawidh. :)

I didn't really see any Brazilian Portuguese or German translations when I turned those options on. I think they're still working on those languages...
 

dawidh

New member
Carlo said:
Thanks for the links, dawidh. :)

I didn't really see any Brazilian Portuguese or German translations when I turned those options on. I think they're still working on those languages...
Yea, I believe it is still a work in progress.  Just like some of the entries have audio files and others don't.  I thought others might like to know they have the options, that was all.
 
Top