For those who care, my planned build.

L33tKevin

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

eVGA Geforce 7900GTO 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Corsair HX520w ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply

Nitrogon NT06 HSF

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor

Looks very good. I also like that you choose Antec. Very good quality. Dual Core all the way :D.
Good choices Kevin. But is the Videocard on board?

Why can't someone build me a new laptop?

It's too scary I've heard...? :blink:

And more expensive than just buying one, lol, which sucks.

Good luck with your build! Doesn't it get addictive though? My cousin has built three so far (in two years) and wants to get rid of his recent so he can build another!

GodismyJudge said:
Looks very good. I also like that you choose Antec. Very good quality. Dual Core all the way :D.

Nope.  :giggle:

eVGA Geforce 7900GT 256MB -$285.99

bah kev, i say u downgrade to the 6400 to a 6300 and upgrade ur board from the p5nsli to the p5n32-sli-dlx

that board costs way more then the difference between the prices of the 6300 and 6400 but the thing is, if ur good with overclocking its worth it.

core2duos run underload 39degrees celcius, givin u much room to overclock the crap out of it.? www.hardocp.com took a 6300 ( 1.93ghz) oc'd it to a 3.2ghz, it ran unstabble so they reclocked it to a 2.8 sittin at 44celcius with no crashes, runs absolutly perfect and smokes the FX-62 still in every single benchmark except for F.E.A.R. where the fx-62 will score a avg of 4fps higher then the overclocked 6300, which shows the potential a $219.99 intel processor is literally smokin AMD's high end $1000 FX-62 cpu

just my thoughts, besides that killer set up, the p5nsli is a great board cuz its the first to use nforce 570 chipset, which is way way way more stable the intel chipsets when it comes to conroes and runnin most 800mhz memory

plus the p5n32-sli-dlx will actually run both video cards, if you choose to SLI, at 16x 16x

the p5nsli just does it either 16x 4x or 8x 8x, not a true 32x sli board.

also that 320 gb ur gettin, is it a sata2 with 16mb chache, not to sure if WD is offering that with their 320gbs but i got a 250gb sata2 with 16mb cache and man it makes a huge ass difference from a regular sata drive muchless IDE

GodismyJudge said:

I heard great things about Antec, so the choice was easy, and like David pointed out, no the video card isn't onboard, I chose that 7900 to do the job

shamirum said:
Why can't someone build me a new laptop?

It's too scary I've heard...  :blink:

And more expensive than just buying one, lol, which sucks.

Good luck with your build! Doesn't it get addictive though? My cousin has built three so far (in two years) and wants to get rid of his recent so he can build another!

Not too hard, once you get the barebones with the monitor and keyboard, but not worth the hassle/cost like you said.

This is actually my first build, so I guess we'll see how it works out with me getting addicted

ramsiN said:
bah kev, i say u downgrade to the 6400 to a 6300 and upgrade ur board from the p5nsli to the p5n32-sli-dlx

that board costs way more then the difference between the prices of the 6300 and 6400 but the thing is, if ur good with overclocking its worth it.

core2duos run underload 39degrees celcius, givin u much room to overclock the crap out of it.  www.hardocp.com took a 6300 ( 1.93ghz) oc'd it to a 3.2ghz, it ran unstabble so they reclocked it to a 2.8 sittin at 44celcius with no crashes, runs absolutly perfect and smokes the FX-62 still in every single benchmark except for F.E.A.R. where the fx-62 will score a avg of 4fps higher then the overclocked 6300, which shows the potential a $219.99 intel processor is literally smokin AMD's high end $1000 FX-62 cpu

just my thoughts, besides that killer set up, the p5nsli is a great board cuz its the first to use nforce 570 chipset, which is way way way more stable the intel chipsets when it comes to conroes and runnin most 800mhz memory

plus the p5n32-sli-dlx will actually run both video cards, if you choose to SLI, at 16x 16x

the p5nsli just does it either 16x 4x or 8x 8x, not a true 32x sli board.

also that 320 gb ur gettin, is it a sata2 with 16mb chache, not to sure if WD is offering that with their 320gbs but i got a 250gb sata2 with 16mb cache and man it makes a huge ass difference from a regular sata drive muchless IDE

I'm actually not planning on oc'ing on this build, or at least not yet, so I decided to go with the 6400, and if need be, i can OC it just a tad. I'm not planning on SLI with this card, which is another reason I thought the p5nsli was a good choice, price wise, but I'll definetly think what you said over.

And yeah, the HDD is sata2 with the 16mb cache, I was going to get the 500gb version of the same drive, but I dropped it down to the 320 so i could get that extra gig of ram and come out even on the price.

Quick question for you, some people are saying to switch the ram over to Corsair or OCZ, would that be beneficial or is GSkill a nice brand?

ocz is go0d stuff but your going to want to stay away from it, its pretty much obsolete stuff, thier suppose to be coming out with new stuff so0n, and previously they had HUUUUUUUGE problems running with the asus p5n32-sli-dlx and p5b-sli dlx motherboards, they wouldnt run them for crap. supposedly asus fixed this problem with a bios flash but id say go with the g.skill over it... if you could shell out the money hyper X and corsair xms is definitly real go0d stuff

also noticed the ocz ram has way higher latency times sitting at 5-5-5-12 and thier platinum series runnin at 5-4-5-12... the g.skill u selected had way lower/better timings

And Ramsin, I actually decided to go with the mobo you recomended, after hearing the one I picked up was pretty flaky, very picky on ram and video cards as well. i also downgraded the video card to a 7600gt, so the price evened out to 1375.

sweet, i gaurantee your going to fall in love with that board and wont work with anything else besides asus's new line of delux boards... you can run ur sh!t under load for a full day and i gaurantee you mobo will stay co0l as hell, make oc'n actually worth it since the board has so much potential, not to mention the conr0e cpu and high end ram, your gonna have alot of fun gauranteed.... if you use 3dmark 03, 04, or 05 plz let me know your bench scores, dyin to see what potential differences thier really is between the hyperx, xms, ocz platinum, and your g.skill ram, considereing g.skill i believe had the lowest timings of all

As soon as i get everything together, im gonna run some bench tests, and see how everythings running, i'm hoping to hit 2.6ghz by christmas time, then ill bench some more.

yes sir they are rad rides... they were originally planning to release it november but thier not im guess... this is how i think it'll go

intel core 2 duos are smoking anything amd has, even thier lowest end is faster then 80% of amds process, overclocked it beats all of thier processors. no need for intel to put out a quad when thier dominating the market, thier cpus on average 40% better then any of thier amd competetiors... anyways amd has announced the release of thier Barcelona, quadcore amd, in November themselves. when it hits the market its gonna probably make the x6800, intels 1000buk cpu which is so insanely quick that nothing has ever cmoe close to its speeds, yes sir not even dual dualcore xeons, look like pooh... do once amd finally gets the market back intell will unleash its series of quad cores to eat amd alive... intel will then once again reign cpu market for a go0d year or 2... i highly suggest investing in intel market right now even tho im to broke to myself, thier gonna sky rocket once thier quad hits the market and 90% of ppl in the market for a new "gaming power system" will buy intel, and any1 who goes mac has no choice... im AMD fan in and out, i run only amd in my room with my 64 3500 on 2400XP cpus, but man intel is gonna whoop some ass

Great build. Im building a new pc as soon as DX10 cards are avalable. I'm waiting for a release date on them. Im going to upgrade then.

dx10 comes out with vista, which im hopping they'll then make the transition over to pci-express 32x, i hope

Yea Ill prolly be the test dummy Im going to get the first batch of DX10 cards. I did it with DX9.
First batch of 6800gt's I ordered. Turned out fine

well id be kinda concerened, its not that the cards will fail. its just that thier being built on a OS thats not even out, half of the future vga cards being built now, tihs is where im concerned, im thinkin thier building on vista beta2 ... these cards are gonna be backwards compatible with xp, but mostly built for vista use... problem is how could u build and test something thats built for a specific OS to bring out the full potential when the OS is not available.... beta2 is so buggy and for those who've used it so far know for a fact, just like with all os betas, thats no where close to even what the final product is going to lo0k like... im tryin to find out about the new vga cards and what thier bein tested and benched on now... just like am2's and conroes debut release problems, im expecting a problem from all vga manufacturers the very first months with plenty of updates being put out by every manufacturer tryin to fix thier little bugs. all in all i think vista is not going to be as stable as ppl want it to be at launch, but gates did say he'd push back its release date again if vista isnt problem free, keep in mind this past xmas we had last year was the original launch date for vista, so im definitly either expecting another delay which will push those waitin overboard and make them go out n buy a conr0e machine with xp, which yah intel will loose money and credibility, but its much better then rushin the os and havin it bein written like complete utter crap... cough... we all remember windows ME right... cough cough lol

yea untill Vista is out ill wait and see before I pass judgement on it. I never tried beta2 or RC1. I want the final product.

I ended up doing quite an overhaul on my parts, and this is what I've got now

NEC 16X DVD?R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive 

XFX  Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Corsair HX520w ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply

Nitrogon NT06 HSF

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor

Ordering all the parts by sunday :)

trust me kev, stay away frmo the p5b, stick with the p5n32

why you say...

- p5n has no wifi, however p5b's wifi is a sorry excuse to anything, has the worst range ever
- p5n32 runs MUCH MUCH MUCCHHHH cooler thanks to 2 seperate heatsinks on North/South bridge, with each heatsink having its own fan. giving you more ro0m to oc on this  board then any other board put out

- p5n32 runns ddr2 800mhz, 1000mhz, p5b will not also the p5b has HUUUUGE problems with most high end ram which leads you to updating bios in-order to get most high end ram to work in it

- p5n32 will do true 32bit SLI, p5b will not even SLI, even with 2 pci-e16x slots on it IT IS NOT A SLI BOARD AND WILL NEVER RUN IN SLI MODE
- p5n32 costs much muuch less
- p5n32 owns all conroes right now, the best board out thier cept for the gigabyte 6-quad which is quad core ready for the new intel dual core quadro coming out in 2 months (the gigabyte board is really nice as well ) but in the end, best bang for buck, p5n32 if your set on sticking with core2du0s, take the gigabyte if you have the necessity to go quad core so0n

besides that the set up is sexy, which color centurion case are you going with?  window or windowless? and what are they selling it to you for

Back