• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

European Assyrians - why no convention?

GGBW

European Assyrians, why don't you have yearly conventions like we have in the US? They would be better organized and probably far more educational than our annoying ones.

Any reason?

xxSanhoxx

We have some other great stuff, which you dont have in America...

I think conventions will come too.
We arent organize on an european level. We are more divided in country or language territorys. And this is good. For example: We have in sweden and in the german speaking countries really good working youth federations. The one in netherlands will come again, i hope.
We have to change our way of activism... First: put the aim. Second: search the right way (activity).

What is the aim of the convention in USA? Its so mixed... And did the AANF reached their aims in the last century? if not, why not? And if not, why its still the same?

the_dave

I was actually thinking of that and that we should start it up soon... maybe an European AVN gathering will be the first step? As sanhoxx said, we are quite divided in Europe, culture, language and so on. But i believe that soon it will happen, i am just waiting for Assyriska to go up to the damn top league again (iam just pissed they lost another game today, and maybe our chance to reach the top...) :D

rumrum

Good points Sanho, I totally agree with what you're saying... I've heard the same from many of my European friends and family.

As far as AANF, we all know their original intentions that were set back in 1933 are not even close to what they are now.  It's all replaced by greed and a misplaced view that they actually have some power in this country.  Go figure.

It would be nice to have a Unified European Federation, kind of like AANF.  Where it would be comprised of countries (divisions) and each division would host it, alternating every year.  Kind of like what AANF does.

Jones

That would be a great idea. Encouraging unity is always great.

But with very different intentions than the annually US Convention hopefully...

GGBW

rumrum said:
Good points Sanho, I totally agree with what you're saying... I've heard the same from many of my European friends and family.

As far as AANF, we all know their original intentions that were set back in 1933 are not even close to what they are now.  It's all replaced by greed and a misplaced view that they actually have some power in this country.  Go figure.

It would be nice to have a Unified European Federation, kind of like AANF.  Where it would be comprised of countries (divisions) and each division would host it, alternating every year.  Kind of like what AANF does.
The original conventions were beautiful. If you look at the old pictures in the AANF publication archives, they were proper balls, with gowns and tuxedos, Senators and Diplomats. Just beautiful.

I think it's great that young people go now to be with other Assyrians, and it's great they have so much fun, and if the AANF is going to evolve into a "partying" convention, that's absolutely fine. We need an alternative for those of us who want to go for more educational, academic, artistic, or political purposes. I just don't know who would do it. Academic Society? No clue.

GGBW

There are beautiful places in Europe to hold conventions, and we need more interaction between the Eastern/Western Assyrians. We have to meet, talk, exchange ideas and information and knowledge. Even if it isn't every year, perhaps every 3 years or 4 years (just never at the same time as the World Cup :) ) I think this is something you guys should consider working on.

rumrum

ateelaW said:
The original conventions were beautiful. If you look at the old pictures in the AANF publication archives, they were proper balls, with gowns and tuxedos, Senators and Diplomats. Just beautiful.

I think it's great that young people go now to be with other Assyrians, and it's great they have so much fun, and if the AANF is going to evolve into a "partying" convention, that's absolutely fine. We need an alternative for those of us who want to go for more educational, academic, artistic, or political purposes. I just don't know who would do it. Academic Society? No clue.
Give me a $1 million insurance policy (or even $500k or $250k) and consider it done Waleeta.

lol

rumrum

ateelaW said:
There are beautiful places in Europe to hold conventions, and we need more interaction between the Eastern/Western Assyrians. We have to meet, talk, exchange ideas and information and knowledge. Even if it isn't every year, perhaps every 3 years or 4 years (just never at the same time as the World Cup :) ) I think this is something you guys should consider working on.
We kinda did this for 2003 convention with the Lamassu Lounge and other events.  I met Assyrians from all over that were representing various European countries and here in North America.  Good times.  We have to find a way to repeat it.

Free_Assyria

ateelaW said:
European Assyrians, why don't you have yearly conventions like we have in the US? They would be better organized and probably far more educational than our annoying ones.

Any reason?
Just be grateful you have one.

xxSanhoxx

We will do. But we wouldnt put our budget. We would search for EU programs, to get EU support.
...i think we have a good base in germany too, cause we are organized in youth federations too.

we put aims for the future, and you will hear more about.. sos.  :)

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
I believe they did one last year or the year before? it was first of its kind, held in Sweden.

ASHOOR