Etymology of KURD- DEBUNKING THE MEANING OF KURD

StefanBQ

Shlama 3al kul Suraya/Suroyo

Today when I was scrolling through my social media I noticed some Kurds sharing and spreading lies amongst themselves talking about how Kurd means prideful, heroic, great and how stupid Assyrians are for not realising how Corduene (a historical region in SE-Turkey) means Kurdistan.

I decided to counter their so-called arguments and to share these with all Assyrians on assyrianvoice.net.

Statement 1: "Kurd means strong, great, heroic"

Now dear friends, think about this statement. Most Kurds don't even know what the origin of this definition is. Many historians are still looking for a connection between ancient Mesopotamia and the modern Kurds but aren't very lucky. It is a fact that Kurds speak an Iranian language and therefore it would only be logical that the definition and origin of the so-called "KURD" is Iranian or at least Indo-European.

The most famous theory about the etymology of KURD, is that it originates from the Middle-Persian "KWRT" which means "nomad, tent dweller". I guess that doesn't really fit their "rich" history. Nomadism is something that still lives within plenty of Kurdish communities and they consider it as part of their culture.

Where does this meaning of strong, great and heroic come from?

Statement 2: "Corduene is proto-Kurdish and is historical Kurdistan"
The term Corduene actually derives from the Syriac, "Beth-Qardu" (modern day Silopi, Sirnakh) which in turn has an Akkadian origin.
  1. "Meaning of Qardu, Akkadian lexicon"
This theory is rejected by the absolute majority of historians and is only supported by Kurds or pro-Kurdistani historians. What do real sources say?
Screenshot_1.png
We can conclude that qardu in Akkadian means valiant, heroic, brave, courageous... Coincidence? Obviously not. What is our conclusion?
I'm not claiming that Beth-Qardu was necessarily Assyrian but what we can conclude is that modern Kurds are trying to use a Semetic root used in Syriac and Akkadian to twist the meaning of "Kurd" which was based upon a middle-Persian word KWRT meaning nomad/tent-dweller.

They are always using weak connections to ancient history, while they are extremely critical when we show the evidence that modern Assyrians are the descendants of the ancient Assyrians. Imagine we used the same criterion on them..

Last edited:
Thanks for this excellent post.

while you can’t easily play and make up your own history, some people have no shame and will do it. It is up to us to set the record straight through own own platforms and websites so people know the truth. We have been using this website for 21 years now to do that and this very forum for the last 15 years and we intend to continue to do that as a community.

If you remember last year when Trump supposedly "betrayed" the Kurds, the Kurds were acting like victims and citing Assyrian history in World War 1 but replacing the word "Assyrian" with "Kurd" to make it look like they were the victims.

Unfortunately, the Middle East has a few people claiming stuff as theirs. You have Russians, Ukrainians, Poles and Moldovans claiming God is a real estate agent and promised their people something when there is no mention of Russians, Poles and Moldovans in the old testament.

Back