Edessan Kings necropolis unhearted: largest one in the world ? Video + Image

Shahin

World?s largest necropolis in Turkey's southeast
A large number of expansive rock tombs which could constitute part of the world?s largest necropolis have been discovered during work carried out by the ?anl?urfa Municipality around the historic Urfa Castle in southeastern Turkey.

Within the scope of the works carried out by archaeologists on the area of some 45,000 square meters, nearly 80 tombs have been restored so far, while roads have been built and environmental arrangements have been made in the area. These restorations were important steps to help turn the southeastern province into a center of attraction. 

Among the newly found tombs, one was situated on the highest part of the castle?s hill and was bigger than the other tombs. It was estimated to have belonged to the nobles of Edessa King Abgar?s family. The tomb had rooms for 10 people. Also, floor mosaics were found in one of the tombs.

Syriac inscriptions and fine engravings can also be seen in another tomb in the area.

Officials said the area could be the world?s largest necropolis when the other rock tombs in the skirts of the castle, in the K?z?lkoyun and Dedeosman neighborhoods, were fully uncovered.

Source: Hurriyet daily news: worlds largest necropolis in turkeys southeast

UPDATE July 13th:

Link to video: http://www.arkeolojikhaber.com/haber-efsanevi-kral-abgarin-akrabasi-bulundu-1172/
Image of some of the Syriac inscriptions found: Twitter David Vergili
The inscription and its translation: [size=14pt]??? ??????? ??? ??? ???? ?? ???????? ??????? ?????[/size] => "This necropolis built by Agiasantas for his children and all have been renovated."
The inscriptions date from the Christian time of Edessa so it might be the same for the necropolis.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you know Edessa or Urhoy/Urhay (North-Mesopotamia) is the craddle of Assyrian Christianity (and of course from where Classical Syriac originates) where the apostles Mor Addai and Mor Mari preached.
It was the capital of the Assyrian Kingdom of Osrohene (independant from 132 BC to 234 AD).

It's an amazing discovery. Knowing Turkey's goverment though lets hope that this is all done properly.

mrzurnaci said:
the future Islamists will destroy this as well.

Turkey values historical sites(of which they have many of, few countries have more than them) for financial reasons. I have more hope for this than the Assyrian ruins that are left in Iraq and Syria.

An amazing find.

Joe25 said:
It's an amazing discovery. Knowing Turkey's goverment though lets hope that this is all done properly.

I don't know for sure but I doubt that the Turkish government is responsible for this. I think this is most likely being done by Westerners, probably Italians.

Joe25 said:
Turkey values historical sites(of which they have many of, few countries have more than them) for financial reasons. I have more hope for this than the Assyrian ruins that are left in Iraq and Syria.

If so, why do they sell churches?

Thank you Shahin for posting this, indeed a great discovery! This is the link between ancient Assyrian and new Christian Assyrians.

ASHOOR

Back