Eating Late at Night = Weight Gain? Myth or Fact?

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
It is amazing how you can hear so many contrasting opinions and answers to the same question.
Particularly, this is very true when it comes to Health and Fitness, more specifically 'weight loss'

I was searching for answers to when or how early before sleep should we eat our last meal/snack. I could swear to you I found so many different answers, you don't know what to beleive or take. Most of these answers even come from nutrition and fitness experts.

When do you take your last meal before sleeping, if you even have such a rule?

ASHOOR

This is one of the best answers I found to this question. Read and tell me if you agree with it.

ASHOOR
---------------------------------------------

Source

Alice,

My friends and I disagree ? can you settle the dispute? I feel a calorie is a calorie no matter what time of day that you eat it. They say that if you eat all of your calories early in the day, that it is less fattening, because you will be moving around burning off those calories. I say that if you eat 1800 calories a day, it doesn't matter if you eat them in 5 meals or 10 meals, it is still 1800 calories. I believe that the idea of not eating anything after 7 helps you to lose weight because you cut out the high calorie, high fat foods that are often eaten late in the evening. They say that by not eating after 7, you lose weight because you're not moving to burn off those calories. Please settle the dispute. Thanks

Dear Reader,

You and your friends have picked up on a popular debate. One aspect of weight management that is vital to understand is that we gain and lose weight over periods of time ? weeks, months, years ? not hour by hour. This happens as we take in more calories than we expend. Another important fact of metabolism is that our bodies do not stop working, even when we are sleeping! Hearts are beating, blood is circulating, lungs are functioning, brains are even working. This all takes energy ? meaning we are still burning calories.

There is no magic time after which the body stores fat. For instance, if you eat the same exact meal at 6 pm or at 8 pm, is one more caloric than the other? No, each meal has the same number of calories. What really matters is the total amount of food and drink you have over the course of a week, or a month or longer, and how much energy you expend during that timeframe. Excess calories will be stored as fat over time, regardless of whether they are taken in during the day or night.

When it comes to eating late at night and the potential for weight gain, there are several considerations:

Portion sizes ? waiting to eat could lead to consuming larger portion sizes
Quality of food ? after a long day of work or school, a few slices of pizza or a fast burger may seem easier than steamed vegetables and broiled fish
"Mindless snacking" ? evenings spent studying, out on the town, or watching TV may lead to excess calories from fast, sugary, on-the-go options
Health concerns ? consistent periods of going without food followed by a large meal can negatively impact the interaction between blood sugar and insulin and make you more vulnerable to Type 2 diabetes.
So, to settle the debate, you are correct that late-night calories won't change your metabolism or magically count more than calories eaten during the day. However, limiting late-night meals and snacks may be an effective weight management strategy for some because it helps them to control their overall calorie intake. Some people find that if they set a time that they can't eat past, it helps minimize or eliminate the possibility of munching on a lot of high calorie foods. Another useful tip may to be to eat 4 or 5 smaller meals and snacks spread evenly throughout the day so you don't become overly hungry at any point. Following these tips can keep your energy levels consistent for work and play and can provide some long-term benefits to help you reduce your chances for diabetes or other health issues.

Bon app?tit!

It doesn't really matter if you eat at night - just don't eat a four course meal at 9pm. There are many things to take into account i.e. metabolic rate, fitness level, weekly/monthly caloric intake, somatype, etc.

300 calories worth of protein and essential fatty acids at 9pm is different than 300 calories of sugar. If you eat 300 calories worth of sugar each night while I eat 300 grams of protein, I'm almost willing to gurantee you'll gain (bad) weight and I won't.

just gives me a bad stomach ache in the morning... you just cant help it when you search the freezer and find something awsome!

If you do eat at night, just make sure you sleep in a cold room with no covers on...  Your body burns more calories when you shiver. :p

Back