Do you know or heard of any Assyrians who committed suicide?

Cascade

It's strange, since I've heard of so many different causes of deaths among Assyrians (car accident, terrorism, cancer, electrocution, heart attacks and even murder), but I have yet to hear of an Assyrian who has killed themselves. Maybe suicide is such a taboo among us, that their loved ones conceal the fact that the victim died from suicide?

In the early 2000s, we had an Iranian-Assyrian neighbour who lived by himself and seemed to be lonely, quiet and out of fashion. We were kids in the neighborhood. We didn't know if we should fear the guy or pity him. He just seemed really unusual. In the late 2000s, we heard of his tragic death. They said he was dead for a few days in his apartment. I think the neighbours complained about a stench coming from there. Anyway, they said he died of a heart attack. But I always doubted that.

You heard of Assyrians who committed suicide?

mrzurnaci said:
only once, my cousin's cousin. He had clinical depression though.
Was he old or young?

Oh, forgot to mention, my late neighbour was like in his early 50s. He was healthy looking (not obese or anything), so that's why I refused to believe that he died "naturally".

Neon said:
Was he old or young?

Oh, forgot to mention, my late neighbour was like in his early 50s. He was healthy looking (not obese or anything), so that's why I refused to believe that he died "naturally".

he was young. Again, he had clinical depression.

mrzurnaci said:
idk, that's why it's clinical.
Clinical or not, depression is always triggered or caused by something. The only thing is that some people are prone to it than others.

There is a deacon here whose son drove his motorcycle off a cliff into a ravine. A Lebanese man I knew was quite close to the family.

I think I can correctly say that our religiousness and overall cultural outlook gives us a very low suicide rate.

Kosovo1389 said:
There is a deacon here whose son drove his motorcycle off a cliff into a ravine. A Lebanese man I knew was quite close to the family.
Did he deliberately do it or was it an accident though?

mrzurnaci said:
I think I can correctly say that our religiousness and overall cultural outlook gives us a very low suicide rate.
Yeah, that's true. Also, Assyrians are a stubborn bunch and are fervent fighters. They will never let death win them.

Neon said:
Yeah, that's true. Also, Assyrians are a stubborn bunch and are fervent fighters. They will never let death win them.

makes me wanna see a comic of an old, stubborn Assyrian grandmother arguing with death.

mrzurnaci said:
makes me wanna see a comic of an old, stubborn Assyrian grandmother arguing with death.
sRVtGY0r.jpg

Out of respect for the family of the deceased, I don't want to give too much information away but in the late 80s (possibly early 90s), a distant relation of mine took her own life.  She had known mental issues.  The whole incident was freaky and gut-wrenching. 

However, it is not a common occurrence in our culture.  The fact that I had to think back to the late 80s/early 90s to recall an incident shows how rare it is.

Unfortunately, in another culture close to my heart (Japanese), it is a very common occurrence. 

Back