• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Do away with Homework? Ontario may do it!

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
There is serious debate in Ontario, about the need to do away with homework, because it gives kids and their parents a lot of stress.

Is this a good idea? not giving homework? While I do agree homework can be a drag, I wouldn't abolish it altogether. Maybe a combination of homeowork and some more fun assignments would be the ideal way to go.

What do you guys think? more homeowork, less homework, or a different way of doing homework?

ASHOOR
 

Ashuriena

New member
Problem is...schools don't really give anything important for homework. They really just give busy work. I never learned anything from homework. I think they should present homework in a different way so students can actually do something that is parallel to their coursework as opposed to just keeping them busy.
 

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
Ashuriena said:
Problem is...schools don't really give anything important for homework. They really just give busy work. I never learned anything from homework. I think they should present homework in a different way so students can actually do something that is parallel to their coursework as opposed to just keeping them busy.
Right on, BINGO! That is what I think they should do. Give them something that is fun and similar to they find in the real world.

As much as I think Youtube, FaceBook etc. are bad for students, I would do assignments that involve the use of these tools, to encourage students and get them more involved.

ASHOOR
 

Ashuriena

New member
ASHOOR said:
Right on, BINGO! That is what I think they should do. Give them something that is fun and similar to they find in the real world.

As much as I think Youtube, FaceBook etc. are bad for students, I would do assignments that involve the use of these tools, to encourage students and get them more involved.

ASHOOR
Exactly! If they plugged into what students do on their free time, they could make courses easier to understand and not as boring or difficult as the busy work they present them.
 

kool

New member
Meh this is just another way to make these kids even more lazier. Something like Math needs to be practiced over and over to get it right. Anyone can learn math but if they don't do they're homework, how else are they going to pick it up? Plus a lot of education requires the ability to memorize things. You can't just learn by doing school work only at home. You have to do your homework assignments sometimes. I do disagree with homework you don't learn from but I can't really think of any homework that you don't learn from. Students need to stop being lazy. Honestly the education system in Canada needs a big time overhaul. Parents need to learn to make some time (not talking about 3 hours) to spend helping they're kids. This way they develop a good relationship with the child and the child will probably end up taking his education a bit more seriously.
 

~*Merooona*~

New member
ARE U KIDDING?

They should be giving them MORE homework! and I agree with Ashuriena.. it should be more usefull homwork! Kids should be given homework everynight and learn to be independent thinkers at an early age.. get rid of the calculator and do things old school!

stupid ontario government.. my kids are going to private school here
 

kool

New member
~*Merooona*~ said:
ARE U KIDDING?

They should be giving them MORE homework! and I agree with Ashuriena.. it should be more usefull homwork! Kids should be given homework everynight and learn to be independent thinkers at an early age.. get rid of the calculator and do things old school!

stupid ontario government.. my kids are going to private school here
The education system does really need a nice overhaul over here. I was just reading an article on Readers Digest titled "How to raise a grade A+ student?" and they basically talked about parents teaching they're kids rather than the kids going to school. The kids that were taught at home came up to be smarter than the kids that went to public school. One of the reasons I noticed mentioned in the article was that the parents would have lots of books and maps and pictures of interesting things at they're home. The kids would eventually pick an interest and the parents would focus on that interest when teaching they're kids. One other parent mentioned how she was a single mom and had only graduated with a highschool diploma when she got pregnant but that didn't stop her from teaching her kid all the right things. She went back to school when her kid was teenager and thats when her kid began to hang out with the wrong people. She ended up getting suspended for talking back to her principle. The parent ended up taking her kid to work with her (She worked with the people that help the poor people with food and shelter) and her kid began to see for herself what life would be like without an education. She also mentioned that one of the reason why her teenage daughter began doing better in school was because she saw her mom doing homework also from her university. The point I'm trying to get at is that you need your kids to see the fun in learning rather than the boring stuff they are taught in school. One other thing to know is that parents need to help they're children so that the child notices that it is important for them to be educated by noticing the involvement of the parents.
 

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
kool said:
The education system does really need a nice overhaul over here. I was just reading an article on Readers Digest titled "How to raise a grade A+ student?" and they basically talked about parents teaching they're kids rather than the kids going to school. The kids that were taught at home came up to be smarter than the kids that went to public school. One of the reasons I noticed mentioned in the article was that the parents would have lots of books and maps and pictures of interesting things at they're home. The kids would eventually pick an interest and the parents would focus on that interest when teaching they're kids. One other parent mentioned how she was a single mom and had only graduated with a highschool diploma when she got pregnant but that didn't stop her from teaching her kid all the right things. She went back to school when her kid was teenager and thats when her kid began to hang out with the wrong people. She ended up getting suspended for talking back to her principle. The parent ended up taking her kid to work with her (She worked with the people that help the poor people with food and shelter) and her kid began to see for herself what life would be like without an education. She also mentioned that one of the reason why her teenage daughter began doing better in school was because she saw her mom doing homework also from her university. The point I'm trying to get at is that you need your kids to see the fun in learning rather than the boring stuff they are taught in school. One other thing to know is that parents need to help they're children so that the child notices that it is important for them to be educated by noticing the involvement of the parents.
That is so interesting kool (is that the current version of RD? would love to read this article)

And yes, I am finding more and more people home schooling their kids.  I wonder if they do it through high school or just elemntary?

ASHOOR
 

kool

New member
ASHOOR said:
That is so interesting kool (is that the current version of RD? would love to read this article)

And yes, I am finding more and more people home schooling their kids.  I wonder if they do it through high school or just elemntary?

ASHOOR
Its February's edition 2008. Judging by the article, it seemed as though they did throughout elementary and highschool. Personally I feel that is a lot of work to be doing. I'd rather just send my kids to a private school.
 

kool

New member
JujU said:
Ohhhhhh my goodness!! Forget no more or less homework, let's try to focus on no more exams!! Seriously, what's the point of craming for hours or studying three maybe four days prior to an exam and once you write it, you forget everything?

Forget exams!  Students should be graded on major projects or mini assignments.  This is why I love art classes, no exams only major projects.
I think exams are good because they allow the student to go back and review on certain things. Another reason is they prepare you for your final test that you have to do to get your diploma or certificate. Like for a mechanic we have to right a CFQ (I think its called that) to get our license.
 

~*Merooona*~

New member
JujU said:
Ohhhhhh my goodness!! Forget no more or less homework, let's try to focus on no more exams!! Seriously, what's the point of craming for hours or studying three maybe four days prior to an exam and once you write it, you forget everything?

Forget exams!  Students should be graded on major projects or mini assignments.  This is why I love art classes, no exams only major projects.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

exams in high school should be harder to prepare kids better for university  :angelnot:
 

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
JuJu makes a very interesting point about "forgetting the material right after the exam is done"
It is like we cram so much information into our brain, as soon as the exam is done, everything leaks out and we forget it. Of course, we don't forget it, and can come back with a little exposing or review. But still, the exam thing needs to change, and make it more applicable to the real world.

A mix exams, short and fun assignments, and little homework, is the best way to go. As well, give incentives for students to study.

ASHOOR
 

Bunny

New member
~*Merooona*~ said:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

exams in high school should be harder to prepare kids better for university  :angelnot:
Totally agree,
Student should be trained to use all kind of methods to study and even memories things in a certain amount of time.
 
Top