Did syriac influence arabic?

Neta1991

Did syriac influence arabic? how and what did it influence? the written arabic? the right to left alphabet?

Is it right to say l speak "assyrian, which is an aramaic dialect"? or should l say "l speak neo-aramaic or should l say l speak syriac, or just aramaic? Which is the right one?

Neta1991 said:
Is it right to say l speak "assyrian, which is an aramaic dialect"? or should l say "l speak neo-aramaic or should l say l speak syriac, or just aramaic? Which is the right one?

Neo-Aramaic isn't wrong but it isn't correct because there's 2 major, unintelligible dialects of Neo-Aramaic.

Syriac and Assyrian Aramaic are both Eastern Aramaic minor dialects.

saying Syriac or Assyrian makes no difference since both refer to the same language and similar dialects.

long answer short, best choice is to say "Assyrian Aramaic" OR "Syriac Aramaic"

Neta1991 said:
You don't have to be so specific and technical. Just say you speak the Assyrian language.

When you say I speak English, you surely don't say "I speak an Anglo-Frisian language, which is part of Western Germanic languages".

Keep it simple and straight.

Cascade said:
You don't have to be so specific and technical. Just say you speak the Assyrian language.

When you say I speak English, you surely don't say "I speak an Anglo-Frisian language, which is part of Western Germanic languages".

Keep it simple and straight.

Because l am a west assyrian maybe l shouldnt say l am speaking assyrian becuase when l say that they think l speak eastern assyrian, maybe l just should say that l speak syriac, which is the most common name for my language, or what do you think, should l say assyrian or syriac? or maybe l should say l speak assyrian and if they say eastern assyrian(ashuri) l should say no, l speak western assyrian(suryoyo)

Nemrud said:
Because l am a west assyrian maybe l shouldnt say l am speaking assyrian becuase when l say that they think l speak eastern assyrian, maybe l just should say that l speak syriac, which is the most common name for my language, or what do you think, should l say assyrian or syriac? or maybe l should say l speak assyrian and if they say eastern assyrian(ashuri) l should say no, l speak western assyrian(suryoyo)
I thought they say they're Assyrian speakers (unless if they identify as Arameans))? Just say you speak western Assyrian if you want to be specific.

Syriac is a classical language. Just like Old English. Assyrian is the modern version of it, just like modern English is the modern version of English.

Bronit Omta said:
So how did we pronounce vowels? Didn't we have zlameh and zkapeh before?

most Assyrians (and other Aramaic speakers) pretty much learned the vowels from the local dialect they'd hear. If they got vowel pronounciation wrong, their community would help correct them on it. Like other semitic speakers, we used a combination of vowels to infer meaning or tense or whatever.

Back