• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Dealing with the pain

Joe25

How have you been dealing with it. Since the rise of Isis our people have been been displaced, kidnapped, murdered and even our ancient artifacts destroyed. We've always been attacked but this is a systematic genocide. I just find myself overwhelmed with anger and frustration at times and I almost don't want to open up news tabs to find another news report of an attacked Assyrian village or destroyed artifacts. It is a deep hurt that in a way affects you in day to day life and at my worst days I feel like traveling to join the small Assyrian armies to fight.

I always knew about Islam and its followers but it has made me look at all of them differently since this Isis crisis. Not just because of the savages themselves, but because of cases where the muslims sold out and betrayed Assyrian villages to Is, and of course the amount of muslims who have travelled to Syria/Iraq to join them. I can't look at any muslim in the eyes now without feeling hatred, how can I think "this person is one of the good ones" when he/she might just as well be a wolf in sheep clothing who disappears the next day to join the savages. I will probably never have a muslim friend again even though I had several in the past.

I also don't like how some of the Assyrians around me are reacting to it, some almost seem like they don't care. Most of them including me are originally from Turkey and here lies one of the problems of Assyrians: silly elitism. Even though we're the same people, the ones from Syria dislike the ones from Turkey and vice versa and then there is the Arameanism problem too. Atleast this is where our churches come into play as they get donations from all and pay a lot of attention to this crisis. But it's like as soon as people are outside of the church the demeanor changes.

I know the feeling. I couldn't sleep summer 2014 when I heard what happened to Nineveh. At least now, some have taken arms, Assyrians of Khabour are stubborn to protect what's theirs, Sutoro/GPF are appreciated by the locals, NPU has several hundred trained soldiers ready. We've lost many villages, but we still have some left and some reconquered.

Many sunnineighbours sold the Assyrians and Yezidis out. It is very hard to trust them, but on the other hand, the Shia have done us no harm and ayatollah Sistani have declared a fatwa to protect us as brothers.

Yes it hurts, and yes it gives you more hatred towards the Muslims and it also affects the behavior of Assyrians and Yazidis towards Muslims.

Europe and the west has finally woken up to the number of Muslim immigrants leaving for Europe, and now Russia and other countries are getting ready to throw thousands of airstrikes at ISIS.

Russia is shipping thousands of weapons and Russian Soldiers to Syria, don't worry this war will hopefully be over soon and the Islamic Caliphate will collapse like all the other ones through out history.

Bronit Omta

Joe25 said:
How have you been dealing with it. Since the rise of Isis our people have been been displaced, kidnapped, murdered and even our ancient artifacts destroyed. We've always been attacked but this is a systematic genocide. I just find myself overwhelmed with anger and frustration at times and I almost don't want to open up news tabs to find another news report of an attacked Assyrian village or destroyed artifacts. It is a deep hurt that in a way affects you in day to day life and at my worst days I feel like traveling to join the small Assyrian armies to fight.

I always knew about Islam and its followers but it has made me look at all of them differently since this Isis crisis. Not just because of the savages themselves, but because of cases where the muslims sold out and betrayed Assyrian villages to Is, and of course the amount of muslims who have travelled to Syria/Iraq to join them. I can't look at any muslim in the eyes now without feeling hatred, how can I think "this person is one of the good ones" when he/she might just as well be a wolf in sheep clothing who disappears the next day to join the savages. I will probably never have a muslim friend again even though I had several in the past.

I also don't like how some of the Assyrians around me are reacting to it, some almost seem like they don't care. Most of them including me are originally from Turkey and here lies one of the problems of Assyrians: silly elitism. Even though we're the same people, the ones from Syria dislike the ones from Turkey and vice versa and then there is the Arameanism problem too. Atleast this is where our churches come into play as they get donations from all and pay a lot of attention to this crisis. But it's like as soon as people are outside of the church the demeanor changes.

Being realistic, as individuals we cannot do much but you can do something about it. Inform people around you about whats happening subtly. Don't go screaming "Save us Assyrian Christians this is a holocaust!", be smart and inform people about what's going on and word will spread about what's happening so people around the West will be more informed and will help out. Also donate occasionally to charities such as ACOE.

A caveat, don't have prejudice towards Kurds and Muslims, majority of them aren't doing bad things to us. Our diaspora makes it out as if we're getting killed left, right and centre, obviously we aren't at the moment. We can't have enemies right now.

We also make a big deal about things that are happening. Remember they're artifacts that are made of stone, they're inanimate, don't create an emotional connection to it.

Joe25

barcyy said:
Being realistic, as individuals we cannot do much but you can do something about it. Inform people around you about whats happening subtly. Don't go screaming "Save us Assyrian Christians this is a holocaust!", be smart and inform people about what's going on and word will spread about what's happening so people around the West will be more informed and will help out. Also donate occasionally to charities such as ACOE.

Yes donations and joining public awareness meetings are what most of us are doing. I also spread as much awareness on the internet as I can. The Syrian/Isis issue is discussed on all the largest forums on the net and I've brought many people's attention to the Assyrian plight.

A caveat, don't have prejudice towards Kurds and Muslims, majority of them aren't doing bad things to us. Our diaspora makes it out as if we're getting killed left, right and centre, obviously we aren't at the moment. We can't have enemies right now.

I agree with the last sentence but even though most muslims aren't doing bad things to us, on the inside they do hate/dislike us and would either love or not care about our extinction. The lack of protests from muslims around the world against their own terrorists lets me know.

We also make a big deal about things that are happening. Remember they're artifacts that are made of stone, they're inanimate, don't create an emotional connection to it.

I must disagree here. There is a reason these artifacts are worth millions if not billions. They are physical proof of our crowning achievements and immortalise ancient civilizations. There was a time when we only knew of ancient civilizations from scripture but the great work of archaeologists have given them a permanent, factual place in history. They are also a great source of income for countries as it attracts tourism.

I do get comfort from the fact that these destructions happened now and not before they were fully discovered. The jealous Islamic fiends may try to destroy the physical stones but archaeologists and historians have recorded them in history a long time ago already and there's thousands of photos left, they can never be forgotten.

Cascade

barcyy said:
True. And I think that the artifacts which were destroyed were replicas. Not sure where I heard that from but I think here?

mrzurnaci

I know that feeling man.

It's not that I don't care but I have no idea what to do...

people here tell me that I should be informing everybody but I know that everybody knows there's a genocide occurring in the Middle East but it seems like the West just doesn't want to deal with it.

They'd rather worry about their money instead of the lives of ancient peoples... This is the reason why I keep spouting about militaristic crap even though I have no military experience (yes im a chicken-hawk).

Looking at how everybody reacts to our pain, I feel that the only way to stop/prevent this from happening again is to stop acting Christian in the face of aggression....

Etain

mrzurnaci said:
I know that feeling man.

It's not that I don't care but I have no idea what to do...

people here tell me that I should be informing everybody but I know that everybody knows there's a genocide occurring in the Middle East but it seems like the West just doesn't want to deal with it.

They'd rather worry about their money instead of the lives of ancient peoples... This is the reason why I keep spouting about militaristic crap even though I have no military experience (yes im a chicken-hawk).

Looking at how everybody reacts to our pain, I feel that the only way to stop/prevent this from happening again is to stop acting Christian in the face of aggression....
What is stopping you from joining NPU?

mrzurnaci

Etain said:
What is stopping you from joining NPU?

4 reasons.

1. I have no descendants to carry on my family name.

2. My introvert brain puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to the front lines since Extroverts have faster thinking and reaction time.

3. the NPU is a party-militia. If I'm going to join a militia then it'll be for the Assyrian cause, not a political cause.

and 4. Considering said introvert brain from reason #2, I have no officer/cadet training and I don't believe I'll receive a good cadet/officer education by the NPU...

Etain

mrzurnaci said:
4 reasons.

1. I have no descendants to carry on my family name.

2. My introvert brain puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to the front lines since Extroverts have faster thinking and reaction time.

3. the NPU is a party-militia. If I'm going to join a militia then it'll be for the Assyrian cause, not a political cause.

and 4. Considering said introvert brain from reason #2, I have no officer/cadet training and I don't believe I'll receive a good cadet/officer education by the NPU...
They are fighting for Assyrians either way.I did consider joining. But I don't know Syriac.